The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

How privileged we are to be able to basically watch and listen to every single Maiden show thanks to the interwebs. Come a long way since bootleggers used to smuggle old handheld cameras into venues and traded em on VHS :lol:

That's the pro. The con is when you go to a concert and people around you, instead of sing and jump with you, stay still with a phone on your face, recording the gig without following a single verse

That's the pro. The con is when you go to a concert and people around you, instead of sing and jump with you, stay still with a phone on your face, recording the gig without following a single verse
Even worse, to top it all, those SINGING (off-key or not) and commenting over the recording (filming itself is a matter of personal choice: you are free to ruin your concert as long as you don't spoil the show for the smaller person that is behind you) :mad: !

Yet, the logic of it all is topsy-turvy: singing and commenting wouldn't be a problem if people kept their mobiles off and enjoyed the show instead. Tough question. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even worse, to top it all, those SINGING (off-key or not) and commenting over the recording (filming itself is a matter of personal choice: you are free to ruin your concert as long as you don't spoil the show for the smaller person that is behind you) :mad: !

Yet, the logic of it all is topsy-turvy: singing and commenting wouldn't be a problem if people kept their mobiles off and enjoyed the show instead. Tough question. :)

Singing is a part of enjoying the concert, that is good actually. Commenting, it's ok either. Hell, even taking one or 2 pics of the stage, or recording one song that has a special value to you...but staying put ALL concert, just recording and sticking a phone screen in the face of everyone? That's beyond the "I paid my ticket, i can do what i want" stage, that's just rude. And, when 400 people at the front are doing the same, the atmosphere loses a lot

Thank you James for sharing this amazing story, I lived through your words. I'm so jealous...I live in a country where they will never come again :( and it is so frustrating.

I still want to see a good video of Speed of Light, but from what I've seen...this is a FANTASTIC live song and Bruce's performance there is incredible. This band is the greatest thing that could happen to music.

The only change in post-cancer's Bruce is that he is not jumping anymore....and that makes me a bit sad. Maybe he will do it in future shows when he starts to feel stronger and more comfortable.

Yes, Speed of Light was my favorite live song from the new album, definitely! The chorus is what really helps it.

Thank you James for sharing this amazing story, I lived through your words. I'm so jealous...I live in a country where they will never come again :( and it is so frustrating.

I still want to see a good video of Speed of Light, but from what I've seen...this is a FANTASTIC live song and Bruce's performance there is incredible. This band is the greatest thing that could happen to music.

The only change in post-cancer's Bruce is that he is not jumping anymore....and that makes me a bit sad. Maybe he will do it in future shows when he starts to feel stronger and more comfortable.

Where are you from, Pedro?
Never lose hope. I were already saving a small fortune to travel to see this tour, but they announced a concert in my city (2nd time ever, the 1st being in the massive 08/09 SBiT Tour)

Any pics of the Tulsa T-shirt? I saw Ft. Lauderdale one but not the Tulsa one.

There wasn't a Tulsa specific shirt. While they do them for most cities, some don't get the cut (rather there's nothing memorable in them or they don't know what landmark/theme to go with for the artwork, I would assume). St. Louis didn't get one in 2013, which I found very odd, considering it's the first time they'd been there in thirteen years and they have the Gateway Arch they could have done some kind of artwork with.

There is a general USA shirt that is available though.

I mean (and I understand all this hasn't got the pretention of being 'objective'): "efficient" as in direct and to the point, without any unneccesarily long intro or repetitions in general, but which still stands out for its melodic and structural wealth.

After being made to get used to long (7+ minutes) and unfortunately often bloated tracks that Maiden had got the listeners accustomed to on a very frequent basis since The X Factor (although the "model" might predate this album: "No Prayer...", "Afraid to Shoot Strangers"), a tendency culminating in what is to me the least good post-reunion album, A Matter of Life and Death, I like the freshness of "Tears of a Clown", despite its thematic darkness.

In other words, one reason I like this song a lot is that it seems to take the opposing view of songs such as "These Colours Don't Run", "Brighter than a Thousand Suns" and especially "For the Greater Good of God" (or "No More Lies" on the previous album), which I still "like" - I wouldn't be here otherwise - but which I tend to find a bit redundant and uninspired compared to other (and not necessarily older) songs.

I think the place of the song on the album and the latter's general track order also has to do with how each song "functions" - a bit like in a concert setlist - and I think Maiden has not made two punchy, direct AND well-written songs follow one another for a long time, until at least the first two tracks of The Final Frontier, which in my view was significantly more pleasant than AMOLAD, though not perfect either. My problem with AMOLAD is that I find it quite difficult to listen to in one stretch, given the repetition of demanding lengths and structures, even though I think there are excellent moments on it (post-chorus of "BTASS", intro of "BBreeg", instrumental part of the "The Longest Day", Smith's attack on "Lord of Light", acceleration in the last part of "The Legacy"...)

To get back to "Tears of a Clown", I am very pleased it made the setlist but it seems it would have functioned better later in the show, although I understand that putting this "breather" here (in terms of a tempo) is a choice that has more to do with the musicians' stamina (the same was done with the also slower "Coming Home" on the previous album tour)
, thus allowing them to recuperate after the first 20-30 minutes of the show, than in a crowd-pleasing capacity. As another user rightly pointed earlier in the thread, the musicians of Iron Maiden play for themselves (especially now they are in or approach their sixties) as for the audience.
Those are some very interesting thoughts. Thanks for the explanation.

Anyways, it's blog time.

Left for Tulsa around 9am yesterday morning; had about a six hour drive ahead of me since I live 400 miles away. Got in Tulsa around 4pm, and could already see many people wandering the blocks around the BOK Center in Maiden shirts. I stopped and got something to eat at Rib Cribs, and met several Maiden fans at the same restaurant.

Around 6pm I went to the arena. Each entrance already had lines that went around the building, but it's good I got there when I did because it seemed as if the line doubled or even tripled in size just in the fifteen minutes or so since I'd arrived. Stood in the line for around 50 minutes, when they started letting people in finally (doors were supposed to open at 6:30, but they didn't until 6:50 for some reason). There were protestors picket-fencing and megaphoning outside the main entrance, saying we were all going to have to "answer for our crimes of listening to Iron Maiden" and some other bullshit. As I passed near the main man doing the protesting, I shouted a very loud and obnoxious "Fuck off!" which generated slight applause from people around me.

Got in into the arena around 7pm, bought my shirts, then went to my seat. Was about thirty, maybe forty, feet away from the stage on the left-hand side. Took some pretty good quality pictures from where I stood, which I will post next.

Setlist was tremendous. I had my guesses and high hopes that Powerslave was going to be played this tour, since it kind of goes along with some of the theme of "The Book of Souls", and was a highlight for me personally. Powerslave is my all time favorite Maiden jam though, so I'm biased.

Loved all of the new album songs, and Children of the Damned was a pleasant surprise, though to be honest I never really cared for the song that much. The return of Hallowed was great, Bruce killed it. And nice to finally have a tour without Two Minutes, Run to the Hills, and Running Free. The Number of the Beast was expected, Blood Brothers was a surprise, and Wasted Years was a great closer.

My biggest nitpick is that they didn't play Brave New World, which was apart of that "leaked" setlist from a few weeks ago that we now know what part bullshit. But I was looking forward to hearing that live again. That being said, the fact that they played Powerslave definitely makes up for it. Overall, they outdid themselves with the setlist.

I noticed Bruce messed up a few times singing The Red and the Black, and caught himself as he stumbled on The Book of Souls. But this can be expected, as both songs seem very hard to sing and it's only the second concert of the tour. He will hone them in no time.

Concert lasted just under two hours; Maiden went on at 8:55pm and they finished at 10:50.

I was on cloud nine from Powerslave onwards, and after the concert my ears were ringing for a good twenty minutes. Now all I had was a very despressing six hour drive back home because I didn't want to stay in a hotel. So I get home around 5:30am, crash, and wake up thinking of nothing about the concert from last night and the adrenaline I experienced.

My seventh time seeing Maiden since 2008, and I think it is one of the best live shows I've seen them do yet. Highlights were definitely Tears of a Clown, The Red and the Black, The Book of Souls, and Powerslave. April 6th needs to get here fast!

EDIT: So apparently I can't upload the pictures I took because they are too large ._.

I just want to go to a show and enjoy it.

I suggest you do just that. You seem wound up so tight.

Is this the way it is nowadays with everyone wanting the setlist before seeing the shows? Same with seeing the stage setups and the new Eddie, etc.? To me, I'd rather be surprised.

Then what are you doing in this spoiler-filled topic?

Then I'd ask the same question. Why Tears but no Empire?

Because they don't want to play it? There really is no other discussion. If "Empire of the Clouds" is such a deal breaker for you, then I suggest you don't go to see them this tour. Because they're not playing it. And won't play it.

You keep mentioning other bands, and keep talking about what you would do. Well, this is Iron Maiden, not those other bands, and not you. "Tears of a Clown" is one of Bruce's favorite songs on the album, and Nicko personally requested that it be played. Hence why it's in the setlist. Why isn't "Empire of the Clouds" on there? Because they didn't want to play it. It's just that simple.

Back