The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

@FTB They just want to hit a larger fanbase/potential fanbase is all. Newbies coming to see Maiden might be a negative for us but ultimately it's very positive for a band that's been around since 1980.....;)

I have a theory that splits the crowd in 30/40/30. 30% of the audience knows all of the songs (the part that would apreciate Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, for example), 40% knows the classics and some "famous" songs (like Wicker Man, Dance of Death or Phantom of the Opera) and the second 30% knows just the classics and, if the song ain't that one, they'll just listen and wait.

But i never saw people actually texting during a concert. On the other hand, i never attended a festival.

Depends on the location and the festival. I'm of the opinion that Download aims to appeal to a broader range of music fans, and some people go for the party rather than to see specific bands. Sonisphere seemed to have a bigger concentration of diehard fans of the bands present.

I've always found the bigger indoor venues in Manchester have a habit of attracting sightseers with little interest in the band performing, which is odd. It's like 'let's go out and see something tonight, something, anything'.

Depends on the location and the festival. I'm of the opinion that Download aims to appeal to a broader range of music fans, and some people go for the party rather than to see specific bands. Sonisphere seemed to have a bigger concentration of diehard fans of the bands present.

I've always found the bigger indoor venues in Manchester have a habit of attracting sightseers with little interest in the band performing, which is odd. It's like 'let's go out and see something tonight, something, anything'.

But, except from Seventh Son, did the crowd reacted well at Sonisphere? Or, it vas overall close to the Rock am Ring crowd?

And when you said that about the indoor venues, it reminded me of the Sabbath show in 2013 (which were at the same place that the Maiden gig will be). At some point between Into the Void and NIB, i noticed a big guy next to me, dreads and everything. I swear, he stayed THE WHOLE SHOW with his arms crossed, not doing a single move (not even on Paranoid, when all the place went crazy). It creeped me out, TBH

BTW, this is the place

uv_20131015_129-603x400.jpg

It's the outside area of the Mineirão Stadium. I enjoyed seeing Sabbath there, and heard that there weren't problems when Foo Fighters and Guns n'Roses played there as well

But, except from Seventh Son, did the crowd reacted well at Sonisphere? Or, it vas overall close to the Rock am Ring crowd?

And when you said that about the indoor venues, it reminded me of the Sabbath show in 2013 (which were at the same place that the Maiden gig will be). At some point between Into the Void and NIB, i noticed a big guy next to me, dreads and everything. I swear, he stayed THE WHOLE SHOW with his arms crossed, not doing a single move (not even on Paranoid, when all the place went crazy). It creeped me out, TBH

The crowd at Sonisphere seemed much more into it than Download, I thought. The layout of the place meant everyone had to pack onto the hill top if they wanted to be in with a chance of seeing the stage. It was....cosy. People were absolutely loving Phantom, really seriously getting into it. I didn't go very far forward because being a shortarse, I know I'll get stuck behind a 6ft 5in Nordic warrior. Such is the risk of going to metal gigs.

Now I don't have half as much of a problem with people who stay stock still as I do with people who are constantly turning around chatting about nothing much with their mates, or constantly going out for beer/toilet. That's the worst thing about seating areas in particular.

The crowd at Sonisphere seemed much more into it than Download, I thought. The layout of the place meant everyone had to pack onto the hill top if they wanted to be in with a chance of seeing the stage. It was....cosy. People were absolutely loving Phantom, really seriously getting into it. I didn't go very far forward because being a shortarse, I know I'll get stuck behind a 6ft 5in Nordic warrior. Such is the risk of going to metal gigs.

Now I don't have half as much of a problem with people who stay stock still as I do with people who are constantly turning around chatting about nothing much with their mates, or constantly going out for beer/toilet. That's the worst thing about seating areas in particular.

To be frank, i can't leave for beer even when i'm attending a football/soccer match of the team that i love, much less in a highly anticipated gig like a Maiden one (the same applies to the Sabbath. Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Judas Priest...basicly every concert that hits my city once in every 4 years).

I'll be on the line around 1PM and i'll bring just one water bottle and some cookies. Not risking anything

Its definitely a dream of mine to see Maiden in Latin/South America, the fans there seem to go as nuts as I do during a Maiden gig. I've seen Maiden in Ireland North and South and England and sometimes I just want to shake people and make them lose it like I do. Everybodys different and each to there own but I never seem to find people as loony as me in the crowd (of course they are there somewhere). I must be a torture to the people next to me! Which is why I want to experience the South American madness.

I was in Dublin for the AMOLAD tour and I was 4 or 5 rows back from the front. There was a guy/girl couple in front of me, 14 years old or so, the guy turned to me at one point and asked if I would stop jumping around. I very quickly told him to get fucked, if its personal space he wants then the front of a Maiden gig is not the place to try find it!

Im not slating Irish/English fans but a Maiden gig is such an intense experience for me that I crave thousands of equally intense people all around me!

I suppose the guys on the floor at Shepards Bush 2001 were quite nuts but I could only get balcony seats and had to view them enviously from above...

Hey, don't even think about the Blaze-era or some obscure song with weird tempo changes called "Paschendale" - I heard that they were going to do "Burning Ambition" on the upcoming tour, that's a true classic ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Dublin for the AMOLAD tour and I was 4 or 5 rows back from the front. There was a guy/girl couple in front of me, 14 years old or so, the guy turned to me at one point and asked if I would stop jumping around. I very quickly told him to get fucked, if its personal space he wants then the front of a Maiden gig is not the place to try find it!

Hahahahaha, seriously? They were at a heavy metal concert and wanted to people to stay quiet? Maybe clapping only?

Is this common in European concerts, btw?

Kind of strange that none of the gigs seems to be sold out by now (especially the closest ones) if u go by iron maiden.com everything is still on sale

Kind of strange that none of the gigs seems to be sold out by now (especially the closest ones) if u go by iron maiden.com everything is still on sale
They added the second Mexico gig because the first one was announced as sold out. This was on the official website, yet the first night still isn't marked as sold out. I think it's just their website. They also mentioned the general advice that tickets are always held back & not to give up if you haven't got a ticket for a particular gig. Maybe they just don't like saying gigs are sold out.
New York sold out a long time ago
Yip, I was going to say that.

Like said above, New York is soldout. São Paulo is as well. As far as i know, Belo Horizonte will be too, since the concert will be in 29 days (19th March) and there are only a few hundred remaining. Probably, the 1st show in Ciudad de Mexico and Los Angeles are too.

Back