Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Backup Guitar:
-White Jackson Soloist with 1 humbucker and 1 single coil

This guitar is not a Jackson. in fact it's an ESP with two mini humbuckers and a Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge position. It can be seen in the Countdown video of Wasted Years. My bad.

So did anyone else notice the sexy Jackson X-stroyer H has been playing this year on FOTD?
c760c31c5c.png

It was discussed in the official TBOS tour spoilers thread. That guitar was used on every show since 2nd night in LA of FOTD and IM, and also on The Number of The Beast on the second show in Tokyo and the show in Moscow.

Last edited:
Was it not used in Maiden England 2014 too, or was that a Destroyer?

That was a new Ibanez DT-500. I think Adrian acquired the X-stroyer and the green signature San Dimas from Jackson LACS just before the second show in LA. Since H is now probably exclusive user of Jackson guitars (A-grade endorser), he probably needed a hard-tail Jackson, and since Jackson have made an X-stroyer for Phil Collen before, they made another one for H.

It seems that he's using the X-stroyer for the songs he plays in Drop D on this tour -- aside from If Eternity Should Fail, which he plays with his white signature model, perhaps for the Floyd Rose. Fantastic thread btw, love it!

It seems that he's using the X-stroyer for the songs he plays in Drop D on this tour -- aside from If Eternity Should Fail, which he plays with his white signature model, perhaps for the Floyd Rose. Fantastic thread btw, love it!

TNOTB was played with the 2007 Maple / Black pickguard AS Jackson prototype on all but two shows (2nd Tokyo night and Moscow). And if you ask how to distinguish the AS Jackson prototypes from production models: The white guiard / ebony prototype has Custom Shop written n the headstock instead of H's signature, and the black guard / maple proto has nothing. Also: It seems that H is using Seymour Duncan JB's in all but two of his guitars (the 2007 protos, which are Super Distortions).
Here is a picture from Ovation.
Ce-Bz5RUUAAuH7E.jpg:large

If you look at the bottom case it says Jackson Ebony JB.

That picture also solves a few questions about which guitar of H's was stolen in Greece in 2008. It wasn't the first prototype. It was the second. If you watched Flight 666, you can see that H is still using his Strats as backups for the first two Jacksons he recieved (Serials 8431 and 8432, the latter is H's main guitar since 2008, except for TFF 2011 tour). An IMTV episode from 2nd leg of 2008 SBIT tour indicates that H recieved two more Custom Shop Jackson guitars (Cream Strat was gone and the #1 sunburst was 3rd on the stand). I bet one of those had the serial 8467 and that is the stolen guitar.

Last edited:
I've seen one photo of Adrian holding an Ibanez RS315 (Strat-shaped, bound flat top, single V2 humbucker, Ibanez's version of a Super Distortion) in Marine Sunburst finish, in what looks like a backstage setting. The Live After Death booklet lists two Roadstars in blue woodgrain finish.

Here's that photo of Adrian with the Ibanez RS315. There's something at the 21st fret that I can't quite tell what it is - a custom inlay perhaps?

Adrian Smith with RS315.jpg

Another bit of information for you. The 70's Strat that Dave played last year had an JB in the bridge and a custom wound Alternative 8 pickup in the neck position. It was probably changed to something else during the European leg (they switched the pickups from white to zebras after the Prague show).

Last edited:
Ok, since I have a bit of time here is what H, Dave and Jan used on the previous The Book Of Souls 2016 world tour.

H's guitars:
-Jackson AS Signature Ebony, 2007 prototype
-Jackson AS Signature Ebony, production model with Seymour Duncan JB in bridge position
-Jackson AS Signature Maple, 2007 prototype
-Jackson AS Signature Maple, 2008, 2nd prototype
-Jackson Custom Shop AS signature, Maple neck, Green sunburst, with JB in bridge position
-Jackson Custom Shop X-Stroyer
-Gibson Les Paul Slash signature, Rosso Corsa model

Dave's guitars:
-Fender Custom Shop 70's stratocaster, Black, Rosewood fingerboard, JB in bridge and custom wound Alternative 8 in neck position
-Fender California Series 2-tone Sunburst Stratocaster
-Fender Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster, Cream
-Fender Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster, Black
-Gibson Les Paul Access in Tea Burst, With pickguard added, with JB and 59

Janick's guitars:
-Fender Custom shop replicas (black and vintage white)
-White 60's reissue strat
-White spirit strat
-Sandberg California series strat in Sunburst
-Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Fun fact: Dave played his Sunburst strat on every song during the course of the tour.

Wow man nice!!! I have never seen the a picture of the black Lado with a Floyd on it. I knew it had one installed after the European leg, but I've never seen a picture. Also the blue sunburst Roadstar is probably what Powerslave was recorded with.

Also noting the red Strat in the corner of one of the photos, that makes ~5 Strats that got Murray'd, not counting the two Squiers
It seems like the red strat is a Lado and it was a backup to the 64 Kahler strat. The white japanese Squier with a kahler was used on most shows for Iron Maiden. The blue Lado was used also for Iron Maiden on some shows. And that's all that I know. Also the first page is probably from 1988 and the other two are from 1985 (H didn't have the MIDI Laser until 1988 AFAIK). The picture of H and his guitars (second photo bottom left) is also from a different (European) part of WST (no Goldtop, no Floyd on the black Lado), while the other photos were made later. Also love how the Goldtop hasn't changed a bit from then until today (apart from the pickguard being on and off and a few battle scars).

P. S. Are there any Japanese people here who can translate this?

Last edited:
Scrap that. If it has 22 frets it's a '85 Japanese Fender Contemprary stratocaster with changed electronics.
upload_2017-3-29_21-10-10.jpeg

Looks like a cream Super Distortion in the bridge instead of the Lado Hawk pickups, though judging by what little Japanese I can understand it might be a PAF
17634397_10213010167547690_8855327807709446764_n.jpg

It's probably Super Distortion (no screw pole pieces). At first sight I thought it was a Paf Pro, but it was introduced in 86. Interesting that they opted to leave the Rockinger nut and not replace it with a Floyd one. The only thing I can understend is tat it is a Floyd Rose 5.

That Japanese magazine shows what must be Dave's "Heritage Series" Les Paul that was in the gear listing in the Live After Death booklet. That was Gibson's 1980-81 attempt to re-create the '58-59 Bursts as closely as possible, and from what I've read they did a pretty good job. The pickups were designed by Tim Shaw to be very close to original PAFs; I used to have an Epiphone Spirit with those pickups in it and they sounded fantastic. Never seen a photo of Dave using it on stage, but it apparently traveled with them on the '84-85 tour, and maybe others.

Attachments

• Maiden-80s.jpg
    Maiden-80s.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 28
That Japanese magazine shows what must be Dave's "Heritage Series" Les Paul that was in the gear listing in the Live After Death booklet. That was Gibson's 1980-81 attempt to re-create the '58-59 Bursts as closely as possible, and from what I've read they did a pretty good job. The pickups were designed by Tim Shaw to be very close to original PAFs; I used to have an Epiphone Spirit with those pickups in it and they sounded fantastic. Never seen a photo of Dave using it on stage, but it apparently traveled with them on the '84-85 tour, and maybe others.
The pickups in that LP are DiMarzios.

I really hope that Fender issues a Signature Murray model of the Vintage White strat. I prefer maple necks and 22 frets... I think it would be a cool option (for those who don't like sunburst finishes, prefer maple necks or need 22 frets).

Should I write to Fender? Naaah, they wouldn't do it.

Back