USA Politics

Ya, I'd bring it up, but people will just try and debunk me and it doesn't really matter because if any of it is true, there's not a damn thing we can do about any of it.

Super Tuesday is today ... if anyone is curious, this is the sample ballot where I live.

The propositions are more like party declarations. For the most part, they are pie in the sky simplistic declarations. Some of the GOP ones might get enacted, the Dem ones do not have a prayer.

The only local race of interest is the Sheriff's race, which has gotten pretty ugly. It is pretty much a sure thing that whoever wins the primary races for the House, state, and especially local races will end up winning the general election.

GOP
http://assets01.aws.connect.clarity...ctions.com/SampleBallots/2016/0301/3030-R.pdf

DEM
http://assets01.aws.connect.clarity...ctions.com/SampleBallots/2016/0301/3030-D.pdf

So, Super Tuesday seems to have strengthened Clinton and Trump. I guess the odds of those two being the candidates are becoming very low now.

I just wonder how much Trump will change his rhetorics and his emphasis when the nomination campaign is over. As of now, he can surely not have much appeal to the "middle ground" voters? I am not sure what are the biggest issues for that part of the population these days and how Trump's actual opinions on those issues differs from Clinton's.

Until now, I've had the impression that Trump has mostly played up to those who think politicians in general are idiots, by saying that the other candidates are idiots. Would like someone with more in-depth knowledge of the campaign to elaborate.

Trump has been drawing people to him by attacking the establishment and by conveying very simple solutions (Mexican wall, ban Muslims, make more jobs) to complex situations (illegal immigration, Islamic terrorism, OKish economy). A lot of times his answer to policy questions isn't very in depth. He just says, "We'll fix it. We'll be great at it!". As @bearfan pointed out over the weekend, Trump has one good line in response to things he is not aware of - "I'll hire the best people." Of course, most presidents hire very good, and possibly the best, people for all jobs, so it's tough to say (though, and this is an honest opinion: John Kerry should have been Obama's Secretary of State since day one, and he is shaping up to be the most prominent one in a very long time).

Super Tuesday roundup:

On the Democrat side, Bernie got hit with a sick roundhouse. He's done, he just doesn't know it yet. Hillary is on track to amass enough delegates to win without a single superdelegate vote - but she has the support of like 95% of superdelegates that have a preference.

On the Republican side, Donald trump solidified his frontrunner status. Rubio underperformed significantly, and now has to be banking on Florida to save him. Cruz overperformed in Texas, which catapulted him strongly into 2nd place, but still over 100 delegates back of Trump.

I love arguing with Trump supporters, it took them minutes to delve into personal attack territory when I pointed out how Clinton's more moderate stance would earn her the advantage in the largest voting base.

Doesn't take Trump *nearly* that long to hit personal attack territory.
I can't wait until Trump attacks Hillary's personal appearance, like he did with Fiorina.
A Clinton-Trump campaign is going to be dreadfully ugly.
I think it will certainly be the most entertaining campaign in many many years. I'm looking forward to the campaign. It's the subsequent administration that concerns me.

The only way I can see the presidential race coming down to the absolute wire would be Clinton/Rubio.

The only way I can see the presidential race coming down to the absolute wire would be Clinton/Rubio.
Rubio has to start winning states, then, and winning them fast. John Kasich is refusing to get out, which really hurts Rubio's chances of getting any wins before Florida.

Back