NOW READING

I preferred the film to be honest, but I saw it a year ago which motivated me to read the book. As I said, I found it a bit difficult to get into but I was reading it already knowing what happened. The book is at least decent and I think I'd have enjoyed it more had I not already seen the film.

I just read the new JK Rowling Robert Galbraith book Career of Evil, which was pretty good. I am a big fan of the Galbraith books, and the main characters, although Galbraith is pushing his two main characters, male and female, together a bit more.

Currently reading Bruce Dickinson: Insights - An interpretation of his solo albums, by Brigitte Schön.

An odd little book that I wasn't expecting to get for Christmas. It's not the most engaging of reads, quite coldly analytical at times, and veers between some in-depth speculation or interpretation and one or two assertions that I'd assumed were painfully obvious. The author was refused permission to reproduce the lyrics in full, which has undoubtedly made life difficult for her and makes for a strangely disjointed read. I'm currently reading about Skunkworks.

I wonder why Bruce and/or his people wouldn't license the lyrics. Isn't it just more money for them to make?

Is Bruce's solo career managed by Rod? Does Bruce even have a solo manager?

I'm working through my Xmas gift:
http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Dylan-All-Songs-Behind/dp/1579129854
61dCzIYiJ4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Very interesting history. For instance: "Blowin' in the Wind" was written in one hour (5pm to 6pm New York time) and performed live for the first time that very night - but not by Dylan! He showed the song to another guy, who played it at his gig, with Dylan watching from the bar.

I'm reading Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd, Nick Mason's personal memoir of Pink Floyd.
Floyd has an interesting history, but this is also well written. This excellent, and honest book (with also dry humour! has revived my interest in Pink Floyd, and their music will be heard with different ears from now on.

Floyd has an interesting history, but this is also well written. This excellent, and honest book (with also dry humour!) has revived my interest in Pink Floyd, and their music will be heard with different ears from now on.
Did your interest need revived?

Last edited:
Maybe my choice of words wasn't such a good one. Let's say I take distance from bands, from time to time. And now, with renewed interest and more knowledge of the band and their history, I view at their work.

I am currently reading A Time to Kill by John Grisham. My first book by him and it's... decent. Not great, but not bad either. I'm not all that enamoured by his writing style, but that might change in the future (this is his debut, so he might have become better with time, I don't know yet). Also - I am no expert on USA law myself - it seems to me he's been playing very loose with law, if you know what I mean. Some prime Hollywood Law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodLaw) at work.

Next in line is McEwan's Concrete Garden (like every Star Wars fan I like me some incest from time to time) and Rowling's/Galbraith's Cuckoo's Calling. I'm looking forward to those two.

And right after that it's Sapkowski's The Witcher - I have collected most of the books by now, so there's really no other excuse for postponing that one. :D

I only read two books in 2015, compared to at least 30 in 2014 :( As I said before, I hit some kind of a reader's block. I'll try to do better in 2015. Anyway, those two books:
The Remaining: Allegiance and The Remaining: Extinction, both by DJ Molles. These two are final books in the 6-part "The Remaining" series of zombie books. Which is probably my favorite zombie book series, and IMO is way better than The Walking Dead. It's full of twists and turns (GOT levels of betrayal) and it's actually really well written. Not your usual zombie book full of gore and action and characters are really well developed.

Began the year with reading Relentless, the autobiography of Yngwie Malmsteen.

Read it all in one go, an interesting but amateurishly written book. I'm glad it exists, the Unofficial Biography by Anders Tengner isn't in good taste even if every anecdote in the book turned out to be true.

I began reading The Blunders of our Governments by Anthony King and Ivor Crewe.

It's about the mistakes maken by governments in the UK in the past 40 or so years. I ordered it on a whim from Amazon as it looked really interesting, and I'm a particuarly political person.

Should make for some entertaining reading! :)

I began reading The Blunders of our Governments by Anthony King and Ivor Crewe.

It's about the mistakes maken by governments in the UK in the past 40 or so years. I ordered it on a whim from Amazon as it looked really interesting, and I'm a particuarly political person.

Should make for some entertaining reading! :)

From The Guardian review: "This book will make you gasp in disbelief and stamp your feet in rage, and quite frequently reduce you to helpless laughter. It will also make you tremble in terror at the realisation that the people in charge of our destinies are, in many respects, idiots."

Hope you enjoy it!

Reading a series by author Brad Thor about Scot Horvath who at the beginning of the series is a Secret Service agent but then moves on to...other things. On novel#4 now called Blowback.

Last edited:
Just finished a series by author Vince Flynn about a CIA assassin who hunts terrorists named Mitch Rapp. 14 books in the series. The author died after writing book 13 and someone else (with the original author's family and estate's permission) took over with the 14th book.

Can't believe there is a thread about reading that has not mentioned Clive Cussler. Has about 60 books out which are good adventure reads. Topped the NY times best seller list about 20 times since the 1970's.

Back