NOW READING

Finished the Cement Garden yesterday. And it was a heavy and unpleasant read. There are some places where it could be better (it was McEwan's first novel and you could tell), but overall it was a very memorable experience.

Now it's on to the Cuckoo's Calling!

Currently in a non-fiction groove at the minute....

Reading biography of Frederick Forsyth (thriller author). He haf a crazy and varied life, pilot, war reporter, champagne with royalty. Might check his fiction work after this, any recommendations?

Recently finished Exploration Fawcett. Its the diary of legendary explorer Col. Percy Fawcett who disappeared in the Amazon in 1925. Great book with insight into the rubber boom and various 'uncontacted' tribes. The upcoming Brad Pitt produced film City of Z is based on Fawcetts disappearance. It was filmed in Northern Ireland. Not very Amazonian over here but I suppose green screens can do alot these days!

Anyone excited for the new Robin Hobb book? Supposedly due in August :)

Finished Stephen King's The Dark Tower series this morning. Definitely the best epic I've ever read. King has outdone himself on this one. Highly recommended if you have a few spare months.
Just curious: are these your first fantasy genre books you've finished/enjoyed?

Currently on my third reading of Moby Dick. My second time reading the unabridged version.

EDIT: Back in January of 2015, @Perun posted of a band called Ahab that piqued my interests. I listened to their first album a few times and liked it, but I wanted to get to know the source material better. I wasn't working at the time and was finishing up my senior year of high school; I decided to check out the book from the school library. Read through it, checked out the book from a library in my hometown of Bloomingdale, MI while I was up there in the summer and read through it. I eventually bought the book back in October, but didn't read it. I received a Kindle as a gift for Christmas and the first thing I did was buy Moby Dick :bigsmile:.

Last edited:
Finished Stephen King's The Dark Tower series this morning. Definitely the best epic I've ever read. King has outdone himself on this one. Highly recommended if you have a few spare months.
I always, always get stuck at Wizard and Glass. Something about the book that always makes me not want to continue, but I really like the first three books in the series, as well as the King/Straub add-ons to the fantasy, The Talisman and Bleak House (the former of which is my favourite King book).

Wizard and Glass is great, but it's asking a lot of the reader to accept what, 700-800 pages of flashback, away from the main storyline just as it starts to gain momentum. I know some people who begun reading the series and waited years between the installments were somewhat disappointed with the last three, but I have VII as my favourite together with the first one. Just so many great emotional moments in that last book. King surprised me a lot throughout the series, but in the end he delivered.

Did you include The Wind Through the Keyhole in your reading? It's a great novel in itself, I'm just not sure I'd want it shoehorned in right after Wizard and Glass as it is another tangent away from the main story.

Read Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami. Probably one of my favourites of his, after 1Q84.

Bone labyrinth by james rollins. #10 in the sigma force series. Rollins is great at combining the newest science theories with adventure.

Currently rereading American Gods for the first time in probably 9-10 years. It's far, far better this time around, even though I loved it to begin with. Now that I understand the literary devices and have more interest in the mythological side stories I find it captivating.

On The Dark Tower, I guess this will provide yet another reason to motivate me to finish the series.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...ephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

I've kind of taken a break from reading in general for about the past month, but I do plan on rectifying that soon.

Every time that project was put on ice, the script and ideas got weirder and weirder. Now they're going to have a black British actor playing a character who's described as "Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"... Could surely be a good film, but the compromises that's already been made makes me think book-fans will have to stomach a lot more.

I agree. It's like they purposefully want to turn things upside-down. I don't usually mind deviations from the plot, but this is getting ridiculous. What's next - Saoirse Ronan as Susannah? If they want to randomly twist things around, they might as well not advertise it as The Dark Tower.

It's not about Idris Alba himself. I have absolutely nothing against him. It's more about totally disregarding the physical description of the character in the book.

Back