"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Unknown is amazing. Opening has strange feel of Bruce solo stuff.

About EOTC - I think that Bruce will be main "problem" with that song during tour. Can anyone imagine him sitting in one place and singing while playing on the piano? I don't. They can find someone to play piano for him but still - what about Bruce? I feel that this song is too peacfull for him if we speak about stage presence. But hell, that's Bruce and I can be wrong.

Singing while sitting down could be an issue. Otherwise, he gets engrossed in that piano....and he can easily turn around and talk while playing.

Singing while sitting down could be an issue. Otherwise, he gets engrossed in that piano....and he can easily turn around and talk while playing.
yes, but I don't think that Bruce is that kind of person. You know - I can imagine him in many situations on stage but sitting for 18 minutes is not one of them. But from the other hand - I'm sure that he can make this cool. Imagine him sitting and playing this in clothes from 1929, I'm quite sure that he would like this.

I doubt they will play EOTC live because it would take up too much of the overall show....or maybe as an encore? It surely can't be done in the middle.

Im listening to TFF after 3 listens, and wow, they really learned a lesson from this one. The pacing on BOS is so much better!

I don't think that it would take up too much from the show. It's Bruce magnum opus, something special for all of them. I think that they are bold enough to throw away some songs just to put this on setlist.
Bruce has said himself that they wouldn't play it.
Those things are up to Harry, but I don't see them playing that song.

Moderator edit: added spoiler tags for setlist details

Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Unknown is amazing. Opening has strange feel of Bruce solo stuff.

About EOTC - I think that Bruce will be main "problem" with that song during tour. Can anyone imagine him sitting in one place and singing while playing on the piano? I don't. They can find someone to play piano for him but still - what about Bruce? I feel that this song is too peacfull for him if we speak about stage presence. But hell, that's Bruce and I can be wrong.
How about one or two special shows in a special place (Mayan pyramid in Mexico, Royal Albert Hall...) and filmed for DVD release, during which they would play "Empire of the clouds" with the right accompaniment and leaving it out for the rest of the tour? It doesn't seem too crazy.

yes, but I don't think that Bruce is that kind of person. You know - I can imagine him in many situations on stage but sitting for 18 minutes is not one of them. But from the other hand - I'm sure that he can make this cool. Imagine him sitting and playing this in clothes from 1929, I'm quite sure that he would like this.

It could be made cool I think .. shit, Foo Fighters turned a broken leg into cool as hell, why not this?

Regarding EOTC, I'd much rather see them chuck out three or four classics and play this track.

This track is too phenomenal not to at least try and play it.

I Wonder if the band sat down together and listened to their last 15 albums before writing/recording this album, it sounds like they may have

I just made the mistake of going on Blabbermouth and reading the comments under the review. Now Im pissed lol.
In Fairness have you ever read a positive thing in the Blabbermouth comment section? you should have expected it

People, on this album there is no bad song at all, only weak one is SoL but it's not bad song. I like every one of them for their own reasons.

Last edited:
First, I don't know if I have the right to say this, since I'm a fan for just 2 years, but I really can't understand why some people didn't like the album, I'm glad it's just a minority though. It has elements from all maiden eras, the 80's, 90's and modern maiden! So, I think the fans should like at least one or two songs from the album. But hate all of it, or hate it because of the production... I really don't understand. The production had a significant improvment compared to TFF, in my opinion. But I don't understand that much about production. If I Iike a song, I don't care about the production at all. But, everyone has different opinions and I try to respect it.

And about my impressions on the album: I have no words to describe it! It's just PERFECT and I can't get enough of it! I think it's the most innovative album they've done since BNW! I didn't experience all the reunion hype and the BNW release, so I have a different view about that album and so, I dare to say TBOS is better! My favorite reunion album is AMOLAD. I can't say if TBOS is better than AMOLAD yet, but by now they are tied. I won't talk about all the songs here, because there's a thread for that, but I just want to highlight EMPIRE OF THE CLOUDS!!! After listening to their discography over and over since I became a fan in 2013, Bruce turned out to be my favorite songwriter in the band, but I never imagined that he could come up with a song as brilliant as this. I'm mesmerized by this song, really.

And I'm with Bruce. I want more albums! If they're still able to create masterpieces like this, they can't stop now! It would be really sad...

Meliegree said:

I haven't heard the track - but from what I've read in reviews and from what people have been telling then they could really blow all the special effects on this one. Imagine black and white photos of the airship/people on the backdrop...Huge pyro and explosion sounds during the "Crash" and think of all the light effects on the stage they could use to tell the story too...The arena going dark in the crash for example....I think for this reason, it could really be a spectacle and a truely cinematic thing. They've tried telling a story using the stage props before - Paschendale, Rime, etc - But with Empire of the Clouds they could really do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back