"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, diction is an issue here and there. I'm curious if that was how he really find out about cancer.

I doubt it, I always find it relatively hard to catch Maiden lyrics 100% by just listening. Imo it's just something Maiden has always had a bit, but once you know what they sing its pretty easy to catch it. Depends a bit on the song too of course. Anyway, might be different for you guys. I think Bruce sounds awesome on the album (as always)

I doubt it, I always find it relatively hard to catch Maiden lyrics 100% by just listening. Imo it's just something Maiden has always had a bit, but once you know what they sing its pretty easy to catch it. Depends a bit on the song too of course. Anyway, might be different for you guys. I think Bruce sounds awesome on the album (as always)
He sound amazing, one of if not the best performance in his life in my opinion. But sometimes he sound strange, I mean - I know that with Maiden albums you must get used to way he sing but here and there are sometimes parts that doesnt fit. Dunno if that was intentional or not, maybe it's matter of release and lyrics in hand:)

I get what you are saying about the spacing. I find the sound disappointingly flat in my car, fine in the headphones and outstanding outside on my deck with each speaker 20 feet away. There's not an appreciable difference in the equipment, so I am guessing the relative acoustics are a factor.

I find it less dry than TFF and not nearly as brick walled as DoD. It give it a C+
I feel bad for you that it is affecting your listening experience that much and don't really understand why that's happening.

I think it has a lot to do with the mp3 files themselves. I just downloaded a new 192kbit version of the songs and it sounds a better. I think the 320k files were initially 192k ones and re-sampled -if that makes any sense at all. So at least I can hear a weird compression in various parts. However the new files still miss a lot of the warmth.

I however this is a really strong record (or two). There are quite a few points where I expect to hear e.g. go through the chorus again and it just does not happen. There are time shifts at points where they would normally continue with the same tempo. There are double and triple guitar lines. Anyway, it is just one more week for the album.

PS: I am not doing any comparisons on song quality or anything but if I use the same configuration for the new Ghost album....the sound is just perfect. I am stopping here cause I am not in the mood to get more angry comments while I am trying to put out my honest thoughts.

Yes, but it's not like that for me. This year saw some pretty brilliant releases. Like Nightwish and BG, those were both excellent albums. Don't confuse Maiden's inability to live up to their past glory with other band's ability to make great albums.
HAHAHAHA you actually enjoy nightwish , blind guardian , all these sissy european "power" metal bands that ruined the nineties , and you criticise Maiden ? Hilarious . I would understand if you enjoyed extreme metal or something and got over Maiden but....nightwish ???

Anyway i don't understand all this talk about this album being more progressive . Apart from EOTC , this seems the closest to the eighties' Maiden albums , much closer than BNW . I mean the other 2 long songs (TRATB and TBOS) are just long eighties' songs unlike something like TTLBLAH , and the ballad TMOS is definately closer to the eighties "ballads" , if you can even call them that , than BB .

As for the sound , the low quality version that i have sounds very good and i imagine the cd will sound even better . Don't understand the complains about the guitars , you finally understand that Maiden have 3 guitarists and Dickinson's vocals are way more polished .

Am I the only one that digs Death or Glory?. Bruce sounds excellent on this song. Also really dig the weird shuffle beat that Nico is playing.
trust me, on this album you can't find song that only you enjoy. As I stated before - I love it, it's like Aces High 2.o or Silver Wings: prequel. And I thought that TFF is their best shoot.

I am very, very disappointed that we have yet to hear from PlayClassics — or anyone for that matter — about repetitive choruses. :devil:

Well, as far as haters go - I can't wait for their important opinions about how maiden play same shit again and again
they don't even try anymore - using riffs from monstsegur, the legacy of wasted years? Jesus, Maiden now is one of biggest trolls in music industry

This is one weird sounding motherf!$%er! The mix is so,,,,well.....strange. Everything seems to be way front and way back at the same time. The drum sound is so damn dry. This whole production is destroying this album completely.
I really hope one last album with a production like SSOASS.

I remember back in the 90s i always loved the live version and the studio versions,now they look like the same.

Oh, I didn't catch that. Even better. :)

I love this album and at this point any member of "they don't play like back in the days!" club crying makes this album even better for me. :)

Wow, 20 pages since last night when I last checked.
Some great reviews and the usual general griping.
The 4th can't come around quickly enough until I can finally listen to it.
The songs I am most looking forward to hearing are...
DOG/EOTC/TRATB/IESF:)
Oh and BOS.

I'm done now and utterly drained from every emotion that this record has been pulling out of me. This is not a compilation of songs, it is a journey. This is indeed a new Era of iron Maiden and a completely new path for them. I am not taking these words lightly, since I have been through the same hype and build up for so many times, but I think this is the sum of everything that they stand for. It is the progressive sum of Iron Maiden through the final Frontier, and it is perhaps Bruces finest hour.
A new era that is difficult to cope with when people are stuck on insanely strict requirements which have nothing to do with the passion and spontanity Maiden stands for these days.

Man, I'm in tough for my album of the year rankings.

Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Ghost, Kamelot, Lamb of God, Symphony X, Fear Factory, Motorhead and now Maiden have already put out corkers and there's still Amorphis, Slayer, Stratovarius, Annihilator, Gloryhammer, Bodom and Queensryche to come.

Gonna be tough to do a top 10, let alone top 5.

A new era that is difficult to cope with when people are stuck on insanely strict requirements which have nothing to do with the passion and spontanity Maiden stands for these days.
I just wish that this era last for more than one album. That's all I want. But if it's their final word - it's good one.

I was stupid. At first when SOL video was released it was so strange, no connection with song. But after listening to album - it's clear. This album has so many easter eggs from past that this video is perfect.

I just wish that this era last for more than one album. That's all I want. But if it's their final word - it's good one.

Well that's what I (and I guess many other people) also said after Final Frontier ... and if they would make another one, then it's the same story all over again :p
I do really hope they will continue making new music though... I fear this might really be the last one though =[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back