"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 2 years old 20 years ago, thank you. I have 3 reunion albums in my top 5, was certain Book of Souls would be Album of the Year, despite the single I didn't particularly care for. So when I say I find this album almost unlistenable, it's not because of some preconceived opinion I just decided to have. Would be glad to have that recognized, before I'm put in the "Play Classics and ebola"-zone.

I'll take care of you, don't worry ;)

I couldn't wait until next Friday... and I feel guilty for downloading it. Oh well.

I've only listened to If Eternity Should Fail, The Great Unknown, and The Red and the Black so far, but I can already say this album is far superior to Final Frontier both in terms of songwriting and production. It's not perfect by any means. There's an expression writers use called "kill your darlings." I'm beginning to think Steve has never heard of it.

If Eternity Should Fail is just plain awesome. It would fit right in on Tyranny of Souls.

The Great Unknown is kinda cool, I guess. I've already forgotten most of it after a matter of minutes, so I'd say it's not very catchy. I didn't like the chorus very much.

The Red and the Black starts off with a nice soft section and builds into a cool verse... that drones on and on. This is what I mean about "kill your darlings." Does the verse have to be four sections long? It would be way more powerful if it was half as long and sprang right into the pre-chorus or whatever we should call the next part. The whoa-oh-oh part is okay, but there's something disconcerting about Bruce's voice at the end of it. The chorus itself is just there. Not really catchy, but not bad either. It segues nicely into...

The greatest freaking instrumental section in Maiden history. Holy crap. The solos and little melodies all over this five? minutes literally saved the song for me. Unbelievable stuff.

Okay, so I listened first at work on some 10 dollar computer speakers. I was thoroughly impressed by the songs...

When I got home I put on my flat response studio headphones and listened to it straight through while drinking beers and closing my eyes. I must say, this is a transcendent album. I honestly believe after two listens this is the best record they've ever made. I can't rate a song below a 9 and I was enthralled for every second of the record. There was plenty of variety, Maiden moments, experimentation and heaviness to alight my ears and mind. I really love this album.

I was worried about the production after listening on those crap speakers but through my headphones I actually really really really liked the sound of the record.

Wow....

Okay, so I listened first at work on some 10 dollar computer speakers. I was thoroughly impressed by the songs...

When I got home I put on my flat response studio headphones and listened to it straight through while drinking beers and closing my eyes. I must say, this is a transcendent album. I honestly believe after two listens this is the best record they've ever made. I can't rate a song below a 9 and I was enthralled for every second of the record. There was plenty of variety, Maiden moments, experimentation and heaviness to alight my ears and mind. I really love this album.

I was worried about the production after listening on those crap speakers but through my headphones I actually really really really liked the sound of the record.

Wow....

Please tell...is the title track not one of the best?

Wow....
This.

I love that kind of opinion beacuse it's how I feel but I can't put it into words. Not yet. I have some minor issues with this album but it's nothing serious. As far as rating goes - there is only one song that I don't like very much in comparision to rest of BoS.

WELL SHIT.
I swore I was going to wait. And wait I shall.

But damn, the boundless enthusiasm is NOT going to make the next 7 days easy.....

This is the most agonising thing ever.....is anyone besides myself going to abstain?

Another abstainer, here! I'm just on this forum because I love to torture myself--ramping up the anticipation will make listening day next Friday all the sweeter.

Please tell...is the title track not one of the best?
Off the cuff, after two listens I would probably go with:

The Red and the Black 10
Empire of the Clouds 10
The Man of Sorrows 10
If Eternity Should Fail 10
The Great Unknown 10
The Book of Souls 10
Shadows of the Valley 10
Tears of a Clown 10
When the River Runs Deep 9
Speed of Light 9
Death or Glory 9

Last edited:
I have mixed fellings about this album actually. I listened to it fully. And should say that I'm upset about Janick's songs. But I absolutely adore all Smith's songs(it's not even because he's my favourite). And Empire Of The Clouds is just epic song that blew my mind away. But I like this album really like. It would be great on stage

If you couldn't listen to the song all the way through, how can you tell if it is completely boring?

Don't understand me wrong, but I just can't. I don't know why, maybe after third listening I'll feel it and like it.
Well, I guess my thought is you should probably listen to something, let it sink in, before you decide it is boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back