"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janick on Steve about The Book of Souls

michael-scott-no.gif

1 song less to like. Ok, there are still the two songs by Bruce, there's got to be just more to it than this...

1 song less to like. Ok, there are still the two songs by Bruce, there's got to be just more to it than this...
One review says Death or Glory is a another title-repeating song. So add that one to the "won't like it" list. What do we have so far... 76 minutes or so. Not too bad yet.

Eh? You haven't heard it yet.

I know Brig. But we are talking about our beloved Steve after all, aren't we? I mean we already know that there is some good old chords under the melody parts in The Red and the Black. And of course he added some more of the same chorus on Janick's song. I really don't want to get in a bashing fest right now. I just want to express my disbelief regarding whether his addition would benefit the songs or not. We all know how he composes music and I would be delighted if he proved me wrong.

One review says Death or Glory is a another title-repeating song. So add that one to the "won't like it" list. What do we have so far... 76 minutes or so. Not too bad yet.

But the Italian review claimed this song rocks. :fencing: You know me, I never like anything. But I kind of dig SOL for the time being. Being the fan in me or not is too soon to tell. I think I am a bit fed up with Steve, the rest of the guys I can easily forgive ;)

Dont know why but Im expecting 'The Red and The Black' to be the repetitive one thats gonna annoy me this time round. Got nothing to base that on, maybe cos its Steve writing by himself or maybe its cos the title reminds me of 'The Angel & The Gambler', but for some reason Ive already taken an irrational dislike to that song!

Before we get too caught up with the "Steve likes to write his epics with plenty of repeated choruses" let's remember that the most recent one, When The Wild Wind Blows, doesn''t even have a proper chorus.

The same is the case for other long Harris-only songs, including some adored album closers from the first half of the 80s.

Why you don't like Steve - our lord and savior? Ok, maybe chorus will be like
Repeat the chorus
Repeat the chorus
Repeat the chorus OooooOOOoooOOO
X3

But all depend on sound, it still can be good.

Before we get too caught up with the "Steve likes to write his epics with plenty of repeated choruses" let's remember that the most recent one, When The Wild Wind Blows, doesn''t even have a proper chorus.

The same is the case for other long Harris-only songs, including some adored album closers from the first half of the 80s.

You are right Doc. But he introduced something equally or even more disturbing - if you ask me - which is A 3:3o min long intro with chords underneath the vocal melody that is in turn doubled by the guitar.

I guess it would be fine for a bit but not for the full 3:30 minutes. There was a time here Maiden songs were about that long you know. Still pretty cool middle section to that song.

Dont know why but Im expecting 'The Red and The Black' to be the repetitive one thats gonna annoy me this time round. Got nothing to base that on, maybe cos its Steve writing by himself or maybe its cos the title reminds me of 'The Angel & The Gambler', but for some reason Ive already taken an irrational dislike to that song!
Don't you think I could bake it?
Don't you like my sweet red plum?
Don't you think that the black one is best?

You are right Doc. But he introduced something equally or even more disturbing - if you ask me - which is A 3:3o min long intro with chords underneath the vocal melody that is in turn doubled by the guitar.

I guess it would be fine for a bit but not for the full 3:30 minutes. There was a time here Maiden songs were about that long you know. Still pretty cool middle section to that song.

"The Legacy" has the band come in around 3:10, so it's been done before. Until we hear it, we don't know if it will feel like 30 sec or 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back