TBOS Tour Predictions

What do u think of the possibility of Maiden touring Asia? Will they play in Japan, India or Singapore?

What do u think of the possibility of Maiden touring Asia? Will they play in Japan, India or Singapore?

I would personally assume they'll do a show or two in Japan at least, but I could be wrong. I don't know if they do less touring on the album tours than they do for the historical tours or not.

I'm just hoping they do another show here in North Carolina, as I really want to go to at least one album-supporting show. The closest they played to where I live back in 2010 was Washington D.C., I believe.

The return to vegas on maiden England was epic. Mandalay bay event center. Nothing like seeing giant colorful ED jumping off the jumbo screen on the Las Vegas strip at night!!
+ LA / Orange County is a lock so that's two shows in 3 nights with only a 3 1/2 hour road trip. Great times ahead!!

Personally i hope we see the return of some Blaze era songs in TBOS Tour setlist, after hearing SOL i could see Futureal fitting in nicely

Nicko implied in one of his recent interviews that they could be out touring for two years, that's plenty of time to get around, we just don't know where first. Someone mentioned a Russian music magazine hinting at them playing in Russia early 2016, but I've never heard anything more about this article actually being published. Maybe another casualty of the drip feeding news approach?

Nicko implied in one of his recent interviews that they could be out touring for two years, that's plenty of time to get around, we just don't know where first. Someone mentioned a Russian music magazine hinting at them playing in Russia early 2016, but I've never heard anything more about this article actually being published. Maybe another casualty of the drip feeding news approach?
I was telling about the concert in Russia. And I'm very sorry that it was actually a fake. It was a strong rumor before publishing interview, but the guy who told that just lied. Sorry for wrong information.

I've been doing some thinking and I thought they probably wouldn't play it. It's just too long, and the piano would probably be too hard to replicate. But I haven't heard it yet so what do I know?

Just from reading other interviews it seems like The Red and the Black and Shadows of the Valley seem more likely.

And do we need spoilers when talking about what songs won't be played?

Yes. They said which songs they'll play from TFF before that album's tour and we talked about it in spoilers iirc. Better safe than sorry anyway.

Is there a translated version of that interview somewhere? Can't get Google translate working on my phone. :(

Is there a translated version of that interview somewhere? Can't get Google translate working on my phone. :(
2015 was to be the return of Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson when her we announced a throat cancer earlier this year. Although all fans shuddered, the group returns this month of september all fire and flame with the epic 'The Book Of Souls'. Magneto.
First of all, how are you? After everything you've been through in recent months, it is a mandatory question!
Yeah, that's fine. Always trying to move and jump right and left. The complete healing process will take time. Some things inside of me need time. Parts of my mucosa must regenerate because they were grilled by radiation. But it will happen because I have nicely finished treatment for only a few months. There will surely be big improvements by the end of the year.

This experience really touched thee surely as a human being and singer. Do you have the impression of having changed?
Really not really, no. At the end of this treatment, only two things can happen. The first is that it gets rid of the cancer and the second is ... we can not do it (laughs). So we are a little worried about the second option. Now, we must take care to heal. I want and I'll get to work as before. I'm pretty healthy, my body has not been too affected, I only lost a little weight. As for me I have to watch singing as this will disturb several parts of my body that are being healed, so I will not do it, not yet. I tried a bit and my lungs were not affected, all notes are still there. I just have to wait and let my body recover. My doctor told me it's ridiculous, I should not move right and left like that (laughs). I am perhaps become more impatient with the persons or things that make me lose time. The time available to me could be short, at least I hope it is not as short as it now (laughs), but I think if I have to stay and do nothing, it will be my choice and not that of someone else.

Your time is precious!
Exactly, and I have realized that now. There are several people who would like me to do many things but I'll do what I want and not what others want or expect of me!

This should be done even without having to do it because of a disease!
Yes, but sometimes it has to happen for such a thing as you realize.

Your new album 'The Book phew Souls' fate on 4 September. This is probably the longest of the studio album of your career with 11 songs in 90 minutes! How did you do to have as much usable material?
We started to write and record at the same time and continued until we were saying 'that's enough! we stop '(laughs) "We have nearly 100 minutes is enough guys!' There are still many ideas left out!

In an interview for 'The Final Frontier', Steve announced that you would have continued in this very progressive direction. Listening to this album, I feel like you've gone to a higher level with these very long pieces, full of time changes and arrangements that recall some prog-rock of the 70s
I grew up with that, same for Steve.

A song like 'Speed of Light' sounds more hard rock from this period that the heavy metal that we had used to listen for.
Yeah, it sounds very Deep Purple, much like their period 'Burn'.

Is that one should expect you to go in this direction in the future?
I honestly do not know what to say, I do not know. I would never have imagined myself writing a piece of 18 minutes (Empire of the Clouds' note) .

In your career you have never been afraid to write very long epic tracks, for example the superb 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner'. In this album, you have three pieces of more than 10 minutes with the Empire of the Clouds' which is 18 minutes
Oh yes. I can assure you one thing, I do not think we will play Empire of the Clouds "live (laughs). If it is done, it should almost be a next project.

About this piece, it's very rare that you write a piece for a Maiden album alone. What does it mean?
This is the real story of the last day of the largest airship in the world, R101, 5 October 1930, which crashed the same day. This is almost the story of a flying Titanic. It is a well known accident in England. When the Hindenburg exploded, everyone thought he was the greatest tragedy of an airship, but it was even more immense. And this piece is the story of his last day.

There are many classical arrangements with the keyboard, wind instruments and strings. Do you have composed all the parts alone?
Yes.

That's impressive! Everyone knows you're a very good composer but I did not know your talent in classical music.
But no, it is not classical, it is only ... music. It is only assemblies melodies to tell a story. I love the orchestral parts with rock music, especially French horns, violins, flutes, oboes ... this kind of instruments. I wrote the song on the keyboard and I also recorded for the album. It was pretty stressful because I am a bad pianist, good enough to put together the melodies and chords, but surely not a real competent musician.

By composing such a piece, is it difficult to stay focused? Is it that there is no risk to rework the piece several times, add and remove parts never come to an end?
The most important thing in one long piece, at least for me, is to take breaks during dialing. I wrote a part and then I left it aside for a day or two. Then I went back and listened to what I had composed and imagined what might happen next. I was telling a story and thus insert the elements necessary to the narrative. Ok, the airship fell in a storm, good must be something that sounds like a storm and then see what happens during the storm, that people in the airship are saying or doing. Finally you work it like this until piece is complete.

So you have not made step or you already had an idea of the main plot?
No, I have not composed by step. I guess it's like to paint on a canvas. You start with small steps and then the next day, when you want to start over, you take a step back to see the overall picture in order to see what to add, and you return to your work to put more details. Everyday. It happened just like that with 'Empire'.

What was the reaction of others when you presented this piece?
I guess they prayed not to play live (laughs!) It was a challenge to save it because the other had to play following the keyboard for the first third of the song. There was no click. I had to record the keyboard parts and they are based on it.

Working with Kevin Shirley as a producer for 15 years now. What do you enjoy most about him and what was his contribution during the production of the album?
Speaking of 'Empire', Kevin was a big fan of this song, he immediately thought that it would become huge. Kevin is able to create a great sound and it manages to recreate our vision to tape pieces. It is very good for that.

You do not often change the producer! You were loyal to Martin Birch for 12 years and now since Kevin 15. Is is trust, musical and technical skills, or simply that you do not want to change a winning team?
On hand, we are a very good team, and on the other, looking at past changes on albums, Kevin was able to track those changes with us. I think it would be difficult to start a new album and trust a new producer. It is a very intimate relationship.

Nowadays, many metal bands compete to have the most aggressive sound and heavy, but you're not afraid to present his almost vintage! Have you considered having a more aggressive, much like the sound you had in your solo records?
You know, Maiden has a very strong musical identity, why change and look like any other group?

The record industry is at the lowest level in its history, is it still important to publish the new songs? As artists and musicians, is that you are still motivated to write new music?
It's very important to write new material. Without that, we would be almost a kind of Iron Maiden cover band 'or' karaoke band 'ourselves without being able to play the new songs. It is clear that we could turn constantly blow 'greatest hits', but why the public still come to our shows with nothing able to listen again? They could go follow a tribute band! The reason why the public is still interested in your group, it is because you propose something new.

You are without doubt a very fascinating character. You're a successful singer, songwriter, airline pilot, you made of the high-level fencing, you write books, you produce beer ... How do you manage to be as successful in everything you do?
(laughs) I do not know if I really succeeded with everything I do, but I try to do my best. I am good at some things and less in others and I try to work with other people who are good to fill my gaps. In the case of the airline, I have a very good partner and we get to do a very good job. To be successful, do not give up but mostly realistic. If something does not work, it must be able to accept that maybe it's not a done deal for you and focus on something new.

After all that, is there still has goals you want to achieve with Maiden, as an artist or as a person?
With Maiden, I would not be against having a hit number 1 on the Billboard States UNite! (Laughs)

I've been doing some thinking and I thought they probably wouldn't play it. It's just too long, and the piano would probably be too hard to replicate. But I haven't heard it yet so what do I know?

Just from reading other interviews it seems like The Red and the Black and Shadows of the Valley seem more likely.

And do we need spoilers when talking about what songs won't be played?
obviously they will decide what they will play but too long?they have played Ancient Mariner, after you play 13+ minute tune i think too long is flimsy excuse.Get piano, play piano, musicians have been doing this ever since the thing was invented i see no problem of replicating a piano all you need is a piano and a musician. if they don't want to drag piano as gear they are easily rented anywhere in world.

As long as they do more than two dates in more than one city in the UK, I'll be happy.
I think we're well overdue a UK tour - its already 5 years since the last one! The pattern seems to be they tour when they've got an album to promote, then the rest of the time the whole UK fanbase has to travel down south to Twickenham, Sonisphere or Download!

Back