When the Wild Wind Blows

How good is When the Wild Wind Blows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I wouldn't call it "blatant". Steve didn't steal it. At most, as a possibility, he heard it back in the day, and that catchy melody lodged somewhere in his subconscious, only to work its way back out 20 years later.

Oh I don't think Steve stole it. Maybe "obvious" is a better word. It's not the most complicated melody in the world anyway, so it's just as likely that Steve never even heard that song.

I don't even think it's that obvious at all, I can hear a similarity, but not enough for me to actually pick up on it without someone telling me to listen for that specifically.

A excellent closer, and up there with other closers thought the years.

The song builds through the song and there is no verse or chorus which is exciting. I love the way the mood changes from the first half of the song to the second half, the song gets darker and more serious after the solos. The solos are great, and i think it's cool that we get an unexpected extra solo section. The darker verse between the first and second solo section is perfect and is the best part of the song.

A epic closer, but not up there with the best of the best.

9/10

A excellent closer, and up there with other closers thought the years.

The song builds through the song and there is no verse or chorus which is exciting. I love the way the mood changes from the first half of the song to the second half, the song gets darker and more serious after the solos. The solos are great, and i think it's cool that we get an unexpected extra solo section. The darker verse between the first and second solo section is perfect and is the best part of the song.

A epic closer, but not up there with the best of the best.

9/10
Eddieson has now completed the Commentary Cycle and earned his stripes. :applause:
Yeh, that was fucking epic in itself. Not the listening, but taking the time to comment.

It's been a good read, @Eddieson :ok:

The forum software seems to have messed them up occasionally. Could be a thread merging artefact.

And Btw, if there is any interest for the mods (@Forostar ?)to archive this and add to the individual score topics or something, my final score for each album are as follows:

1: Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 8,37
2: A Matter Of Life And Death 7,90
3: The Final Frontier 7,80
4: Somewhere In Time 7,62
5: Brave New World 7,60
6: Powerslave 7,50
7: Piece Of Mind 7,33
8: Dance Of Death 7,27
9: The Number Of The Beast 7,22
10: The X Factor 6,64
11: Virtual XI 6,50
11: No Prayer For The Dying 6,50
13: Iron Maiden 6,33
14: Fear Of The Dark 6,00
15: Killers 5,91

Last edited:
Eddieson has now completed the Commentary Cycle and earned his stripes. :applause:

We're still waiting for @22 The Avenue to finish... :cool:
I'm sorry. I've been slacking as of late. I'm all the way through Virtual XI but I think the last commentary I did was for NPftD. I am currently listening to Brave New World on youtube, because iTunes sucks and they have removed BNW and DoD for some reason.
I ask for an extension on my homework! :smartarse:

I'll be honest, upon first hearing WTWWB, it didn't really click, and I felt it was the weakest of the last 5 tracks. It did grow on me, but its standing remained the same.
Then I bought En Vivo...

SWEET JESUS OF NAZARETH, WHAT A SONG!!!
The live version is just stunning, absolutely flawless. It could very well be my favourite performance from any live maiden album.So powerful and emotive. The story telling is superb (something I feel is often compromised in live performances, but not this time) with the music perfectly emulating the narrative.

This also made me appreciate the studio version significantly more.
Just a few months back I also watched the film from which the song was based. I HIGHLY recommend watching it, as I once again developed a new appreciation for the song and realised that, tonally, it is such a perfect adaption. Capturing the naivety and innocence of the old couple both musically and lyrically was a stroke of genius. The progression of the song , from an almost playful innocence, to sombre reminiscence and finally stark realisation is done ridiculously well.
I could write so much more, but this'll do for now.

Initially score (pre En Vivo & film viewing)- 6/10
Final score (post En Vivo and Viewing) - 10/10

The intro is quite good...up to the first minute or so.Then it is a nightmare for me untill we get to the 3:30 mark. That is the point where the song gets more intrresting.Love the middle part and the solos.... but then it uses a verse too long.Some really nice parts but as a whole it gets a bit boring.

Last edited:
Back