Bruce Undergoes Cancer Treatment (ALL CLEAR AS OF 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce is a shining example of optimism. He lives his life to the fullest, has achieved many wondrous things and will continue to do so. He is an inspiration to the metal world and beyond. An amazing human.

I feel even sicker today, the music doesn't matter, Bruce's health matters. He must be frightened but his optimism will help him beat this cancer. Get well Bruce.

We're blood brothers and sisters.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that the band I'm sure knew about this in December when they teased the FC magazine that had Eddie coming out of the studio, and the ON TOUR 2015 thingamabob.
I don't mean to be offensive, but I heard this a couple of times already and did you guys even read the article? It says the tumour was discovered "just before Christmas". Since the FC mag was sent at least 25 days before Christmas, it's safe to assume they didn't know about the cancer before sending that mag.

And there's no way anyone with any decency would use cancer as reason to tease the public with a "will we/won't we tour" gimmick.

when i read the news i was in shock like if the guy was someone in my family,i think you have felt the same.I tried to find some oficial report or maybe any words from Bruce camp,all i saw is at maiden site.

Cant wait to see him in a picture saying that he is ok! i dont know if he will be able to sing or perform but first to kill that thing in his body and feel ok!

Best wishes Bruce!

I don't mean to be offensive, but I heard this a couple of times already and did you guys even read the article? It says the tumour was discovered "just before Christmas". Since the FC mag was sent at least 25 days before Christmas, it's safe to assume they didn't know about the cancer before sending that mag.

Absolutely. If I read the timeline correctly, it seems like this was discovered after the album was finished and just as the tour and album marketing plans were beginning to launch. It's why things have been so quiet since then; everything has been on hold while Bruce gets well.

Cancer is an unpredictable bastard, but the release couldn't be more positive sounding, under the circumstances. Until I hear reason to be otherwise, I remain optimistic about his recovery, which will take some time because the treatment knocks the shit out of you. We'll know in May if they killed it.

I can't help but think of my favourite hockey announcer who was hit with throat cancer this summer.
Rick Jeanneret began similar treatment to Bruce in late July and returned to the announcing booth part-time in November and was back to his full schedule within a month.
Of course it's not exactly the same situation, but both make their living using powerful voices a couple hours a night while constantly on the road.
A difference is Bruce is nearly 20 years younger and in much better shape.

Most of you won't be familiar with Jeanneret. Here is some of his work.

I do love Maiden, like all of you here, and unfortunatelly no one can tell if he will be able to hit the stage again. No matter what, he already gave the world so much. He is one of the greatests and his voice will always be heard.

Thanks @mckindog, that's reassuring. I have a cousin with cancer, and he's been told that there is no "killing it", only remission. Wouldn't that apply to Bruce too, or is the fact that it seems like it was a single tumour, caught early, mean that there's a possibility he could be given the all clear?

Thanks @mckindog, that's reassuring. I have a cousin with cancer, and he's been told that there is no "killing it", only remission. Wouldn't that apply to Bruce too, or is the fact that it seems like it was a single tumour, caught early, mean that there's a possibility he could be given the all clear?

There is that possibility. As someone else mentioned earlier, oral cancer, though still quite serious, is less serious than other forms of cancer and, if caught early, can be removed. Obviously, this all depends on the person, the situation, and future unknowns (such as whether the cancer has spread), but we can be optimistic and hope for the possibility that Bruce will come out the other side of this cancer-free.

Anytime. If we can't be optimistic, then what's the point? And sorry to hear about your cousin, I hope they take their cancer to task and live a happy life! I just lost an aunt to cancer that was detected incredibly late, it's a horrible monstrous bitch of a disease. Regardless of the prognosis, the earlier they find something, the better, in my experience.

Early detection is key. In almost every case I've had in my family/ my life, those with early detection have won the battle. Unfortunately I lost my pops when I was 19. His doctors fumbled the ball and thought it only ulcer-like diagnosis at first. 2nd opinion, months later brought the bad news. 6 months later he was gone. Bruce is a model of optimism and strength. Coupled with early detection and the opinions expressed by his dr.s of probable full recovery, I am optimistic.

And when the time for judgement is at hand, don't fret, he's strong,and he'll make a stand!!!!!

Sorry to hear that bornless, about your father. Doctors can really suck sometimes. I almost lost my dad. They sent him home with a couple of pills saying he ate bad food, while he had ruptured guts because of toothpick. If he hadn't seen an acquittance while going out of hospital who gave another look and 30 mins later performed emergency surgery he'd be dead by next week due to sepsa...

2nd opinion should be a rule in medicine :(

Some cancers are curable, others only treatable.

My mom's was the latter. She lived with it for six years before it took her two years ago.
Her brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer about a year ago and her sister and sister-in-law with breast cancer about six months ago.
The prognosis is positive for two of them, still tbd for the other.

Life is a crapshot my friends. Enjoy what you have while you have it.
I think Bruce understands that.

Really sad to hear this ;-; Fuck cancer man, this is so unfair, Bruce always tried to keep himself healthy against any kind of disease, and this genetic thing has taken this from him. Get well soon!

Btw, Campus Party Mexico said on its Facebook that his participation there in June is confirmed!

cpmx2015.png

"Bruce Dickinson is battling against cancer. His participation on Campus Party Mexico isn't in danger according to his businessman"

So, it seems that the prognostic at least for his health is really good :) Let's hope he can keep singing too

Sorry for bad english :p I'm Brazilian, barely enter here

Yes welcome Smither! Your English is very good and your information is great and encouraging!! Welcome!

Nope you're right--I misread it somehow as him finding out in December. Poop. :facepalm:

Nice to see you here Smither. That is some nice, reassuring news for sure.

I will admit that it will be somewhat upset and saddening if Bruce is never able to sing again, but like I said, the most important thing is that he wins this awful and horrible battle. Once he's truly in the clear, at the very least we will be able to celebrate that as well as possibly one, final amazing Maiden album! Or better yet, his vocals won't be damaged and he'll be able continue singing! UP THE IRONS!!!

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet: the normal procedure (correct me if I'm wrong) when finding a localized tumor is surgery. Chemo only if one needs to make sure the cancer doesn't spread, or if it is systemic (e.g. leukemia). Maybe they opted for chemo here (instead of surgery) in order to increase the chances of Bruce keeping his ability to sing?

Surgery is not always the first choice, simply because it can take away something you need. If the tumour had been agressive or widely spread, no doubt he would have opted for this option, but he and his doctors must have thought they had reasonable chance to destroy it with chemo, withoput completely ruining his singing habilities.
One of my close relatives suffers of a bladder cancer, and she has made the choice to refuse surgery, for obvious reasons, and so far, it works. Her doctors will use this only if the tumour comes back and chemo is unable to destroy it. But, again, protocols can vary according to countries, doctors, and to the patient' general state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back