Bruce Undergoes Cancer Treatment (ALL CLEAR AS OF 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
except that most people of today are either rapping or lip synching :facepalm: then retire after 2 albums o_O

Even if that were true (I don't believe it is), there are singers who have been road dogs for decades. Jagger, Elton John, etc. They haven't given themselves cancer by singing... yet. :innocent:

all very true about them. I was aiming more for current people (not actually sure why now as it's irrelevant). I hope the best for Bruce and according to the site, he has been showing very positive signs of recovery which is all great to hear!

As Forostar says, its truly rotten luck that Bruce should have cancer on the tongue of all places given that his voice is so important to him both in music and his business ventures about which he is clearly very passionate.

all very true about them. I was aiming more for current people

Rapping? Yes, it's been a major genre of music for years, and is hardly cause to put someone down. (Unless they're bad at it, but that applies to any genre.)

Lip syncing? Sure most do it for videos, but it's still nasty if someone gets caught live. It destroys careers. Where are Milli Vanilli and Ashlee Simpson today? Live is still live for almost everyone.

Retire after two albums? I can't think of anyone who's done that. I think I heard about a rapper who retired to become a priest after a few albums, might have been two. Still rare, if you mean retire as "quit intentionally when you could continue" vs. "fail out of the business", "die", etc.
I will allow Cobain as "retirement", though. :dead:

Sorry, I don't mean to derail a Bruce thread. Someone stop me before I mention Vivian Campbell. :ninja:

Just in case: Did your mother also work with patients with an extremely good prognosis? Were their lives really in danger? And were their chances of keeeping their singing ability slim?

Well, I showed her the press release, and she didn't believe a word about the "good prognosis" stuff as in him being able to continue as a singer. She thought they would end up doing a surgery, removing part of the tongue and surrounding tissue including a tonsillectomy to make sure the cancer won't spread, as the tonsils are lymphoid tissue and are very likely to contain cancer cells. In the cases where they didn't do that, the patients came back. If the tumour is indeed caught in an early stage, the survival rate isn't that bad with surgery. It's a life-threatening disease still, in a complicated part of the body. I'm not saying hopes are out, at all. I'm saying that we should be realistical in expecting him to recover and continue as the singer of Iron Maiden. That's not important to anyone at this stage.

I wish him all the best, and there's no reason not be hopeful.

Let's all keep in mind that none of us are entitled to the complete medical records of Bruce, so we can't know what is unique about his particular medical difficulties.

I'm saying that we should be realistical in expecting him to recover and continue as the singer of Iron Maiden. That's not important to anyone at this stage.

Maybe I should be blamed for that, but, frankly, that's important for me. I wish he does well and live a long life with his grand-children, but I also hope he will sing again for my favorite band, and that the next album won't be a testament of his career.

I for one care not when the next album is out at this stage. To coin a phrase, this is a matter of life and death, so beat the cancer Bruce!

Only then can I look forward to a new tour or album....at this stage I feel it is insignificant.

Hello, first post in a lot of time. Best wishes to Bruce, fuck cancer man. I was all hyped reading the news and rumours at twitter and then BAM. This is so unfair to him, given that his voice is his primary work tool in most of the things he does.

well, that's all kinds of fucked up...

when you're a kid and even later as a fanboy you see these guys as your idols and superhumans... makes you put it in perspective that everything comes to an end sooner or later...

Yeah I know what you mean, when I saw his face across Blabbermouth I thought something's finally up with album news, but a glimpse later I see the caption :(
And just a bit bit bit off-topic

Good rap is good, especially when it's old school.

Sorry.

The prognosis does sound good. I, as probably most of you have had that f**kn disease hit close friends/family. Getting through this first and hopefully last round of treatments, with the MEDICAL TEAM expecting full recovery, is huge. The shock of this news was like a punch in the gut. You just don't fully realize what a privilege it has been to have Bruce as a facet of our lives. How many times over the years I've turned to his golden voice to celebrate the good times. And maybe more importantly, to bring me back around in the bad. Bruce, we love you man!! I hope and pray, and believe we will hear you soon doing your thing. But in case we don't, we will always, and even more so now, relish your incredible career work!! Godspeed man!!

I must say that even though it sounds like he'll pull through, that was a bit scary to read. God speed Bruce!

And I agree that new music or another tour isn't important in the least when it comes down to something that is so life threatening such as cancer.

Last edited:
I'm with all those having scary Dio flashbacks and I sincerely hope for the best for Bruce and his family. Down with cancer, up the Bruce!

I find it interesting that the band I'm sure knew about this in December when they teased the FC magazine that had Eddie coming out of the studio, and the ON TOUR 2015 thingamabob. I imagine he was the deciding factor as to whether that tease went out or not, considering whether they tour or not would be completely up to his health. So since the FC mag tease did come out, it stands to reason he at least feels his chances of a full recovery are good.

That said, it was a shock to read this today, and call off the tour, whatever--doesn't matter so long as he beats cancer for himself and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back