Favorite Maiden song you've never seen live

"Still Life" has always been the Iron Maiden song that I feel most divided upon listening to. The intro and verses are so damn good that it could easily (easily) have been one of their best songs - and then the "NIGHTMARES! Spirits calling me!"-part comes from nowhere and smacks you in the head. The worst chorus ever, not only in the history of the band, but in music overall. It's nothing short of retarded, and the Maiden England '88 version only strenghtens that impression - Bruce struggling with reaching the notes is the final nail in the coffin.

Hehehe, well, I have to admit. The chorus is, for me as well, the worst part of the song. I took a while to get used to it.
It indeed smacks the head (well phrased!), coming from nowhere. And it tends to go offkey indeed.
"Nothing short of retarded", that sounds extremely funny, and I am still laughing behind my computer while typing this. Ha ha ha ha! :)

But have you listened to IIIIIIIIII'M ON MY WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY and NO MORE LIES and:

Weeeeeestward the tide.
Weeeeeestward we sail on.
Weeeeeestward the tide.
Saaaaaaaail by the talisman.

Vicious smacks to the head!

It's a incredibly nondescript chorus, sounds like an afterthought. At least No More Lies' chorus fits in with the rest of the song. As for Talisman, I don't really see that part as a true chorus.

I think the "Nightmares....Give me piece of mind..." bit is an excellent little bridge into the solo. Perhaps they should have used it only that one time in the song.

But have you listened to IIIIIIIIII'M ON MY WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY and NO MORE LIES and:

As cool as the intro-riff to "Wildest Dreams" is, the chorus is definitely a letdown; and while the chorus of "The Talisman" and "No More Lies" divide opinions they at least have one thing that "Still Life" doesn't - they are built up to and fits in with the overall harmonic structure and feel of the song. "Still Life" just feels like a good (brilliant) idea that wasn't worked through enough, and ended up as a real stinker because parts were just fitted together without actually fitting.

Some mediocre and standard ideas can go over without anyone getting caught up on them, and that's fine. But when a pretty bad chorus clashes so completely...

Hehehe, well, I have to admit. The chorus is, for me as well, the worst part of the song. I took a while to get used to it.
It indeed smacks the head (well phrased!), coming from nowhere. And it tends to go offkey indeed.
"Nothing short of retarded", that sounds extremely funny, and I am still laughing behind my computer while typing this. Ha ha ha ha! :)

Weeeeeestward the tide.
Weeeeeestward we sail on.
Weeeeeestward the tide.
Saaaaaaaail by the talisman.

Vicious smacks to the head!
That apeman chorus.

Still life is perfect. It is as I've stated before, quintessential maiden. I'm not hearing anything wrong with the chorus. Nothing. It is a short explosive chorus , not repetitive or misplaced. In my opinion it is the perfect compliment to the rest of the song. Still life is perhaps the song that most represents the feel of the album art of Pom and is flawless in my ears. Can't disagree more with these criticisms.

Hmmm. I'm gonna say Hallowed Be Thy Name. Really wish they would have played this during the Maiden England tour.

Still life is perfect. It is as I've stated before, quintessential maiden. I'm not hearing anything wrong with the chorus. Nothing. It is a short explosive chorus , not repetitive or misplaced. In my opinion it is the perfect compliment to the rest of the song. Still life is perhaps the song that most represents the feel of the album art of Pom and is flawless in my ears. Can't disagree more with these criticisms.

Completely agree.
There is nothing wrong with the song, live or album version.

Are we talking about the same No More Lies here? o_O

Still Life is being subjected to the most absurd criticism imaginable here!:nonono:
(See how I totally exaggerating there? :p)

No More Lies is utter crap in comparison.

Still Life is amazing, and should be a live staple for the band... including the chorus! :p

If we're talking terrible choruses, surely nothing Maiden have done can top the sheer awfulness of The Assassin...

Invaders has an awful chorus and takes the cake for me as the worst. Still Life is amazing all around. Even Eddie speaks in it at the beginning :D

Well, again, invaders chorus is not that bad. I agree the actual "InvAAders" part is a little bit cheesy. But the next bit of the chorus, looting, fighting, especially MARAUDING !!!" Is fricken bold! Not to mention the Harris bass exploding in between these parts! Invaders gets a bit of a bad Rapp on these boards.

Last edited:
The long-term average review of Invaders for this website is: 7.12/10. In the most recent results it received a 7.02, good for 112th in the Maidenfans rankings.

I haven't worked on the waited averages scale yet.

Thanks for that info. Interesting to me that it isn't more beloved. Invaders seems to me to have everything we love about maiden. I love the lyrics and the speed. And as we've gone over before, that bass line??!! Pure Harris perfection. Maybe my favorite bass work in the catalogue. InvAAAders baby!

It has all the NOTB era Maiden ingredients. That chorus does sound very uncomfortable and at odds with the rest of the song to me, though. With a more memorable chorus it would be right up there. It's awfully short, too.

my issue with NOTB is the good songs all sound better live except for maybe the prisoner, 22 acacia and children. the ok songs are ok and the bad songs are not bad, just not my taste

Back