Your Maiden blasphemy

Musically, it seems simplistic to me. Feels like a lightweight compared to every other song on that album. Lyrically, the gangland theme doesn't suit Maiden IMO.

I grew up with that album before Total Eclipse was widely known, so I'm used to RTTH-Gangland-Hallowed as the sequence. At best, Gangland is "a slender Greek maiden between two Norse gods". More often, it's a good bathroom break song.

Glad you like it, at least. :bigsmile:

Total eclipse should have been on the album, of course. It was mixed and ready for release (as a B side) in time for the first single while Gangland wasn't (as the rest of the album). When time came to release the LP, the band probably decided to put Gangland on it so as to propose an album full of unreleased material.
As a kid, I used to prefer Total eclipse to Run to the hills.
Still the same. ;)

I'll probably blow the tops off of some people with some of my opinions:

Brave New World, Dance of Death, Matter of Life and Death and Final Frontier are among the most boring and monotonous pieces of work I've ever heard. Also, I bloody hate that stupid Wicker man song and it's horrid harmony chorus "your time will cooooome!!".

Maiden has done nothing that I personally like since 1992! Except Ghost of the Navigator. Ok, they've only done ONE song I like since 1992.

1992 is very far now. Do you still go to see thme live ?
I wasn't even born lol. I got into the band about 2 years ago, maybe a year and a half. I listened to a majority of their stuff, and only decided to keep their albums from their debut to Fear. I just didn't like anything else they did at all. It bored me to tears. They haven't come to Houston, TX since I started listening to them.

It took me a few years to get into BNW and DoD at least. I enjoyed AMOLAD and TFF at first but those were growers too. Same with X Factor, huge grower. Could be a good idea to give those albums more chances.

I wasn't even born lol. I got into the band about 2 years ago, maybe a year and a half. I listened to a majority of their stuff, and only decided to keep their albums from their debut to Fear. I just didn't like anything else they did at all. It bored me to tears.
If you haven't heard everything, how do you know you like one song?
I was referring to at that time, that summer I started getting into them. By now I have, and those 2000's albums still don't click with me.

I was referring to at that time, that summer I started getting into them. By now I have, and those 2000's albums still don't click with me.

Guess what I had the same opinion about? Iron Maiden themselves.

I came into my first Iron Maiden song "The Trooper" expecting to be absolutely blown away on the first listen. This was when I was very big on the Big 4 of Thrash Metal, in particular Metallica, with songs I adored like Battery, Fade To Black and One. Those are some very high standards that this song had to live up to on the first go. And...I was relatively underwhelmed at first. The quality of the video itself was bad, which didn't help, but I really expected something amazing to knock me out of my socks. I didn't get that. I then came to a conclusion, being a stubborn teenager at the time: Iron Maiden were overrated.

I was still open to giving them a chance though. When I was using an application on my phone a few months later, still obsessed with Metallica, I saw that 2 Minutes To Midnight was recommended to me. I downloaded it, played it, and instantly took a liking to it. Whereas the thrash metal were songs to get my adrenaline pumping, 2MTM was a song that made me want to lie out in the sun and relax, whilst still getting the satisfaction of a metal song through my earphones. I wanted more from this kind of Maiden.

I found out about Powerslave and gave it a listen, and the first listen blew me away. I loved every single moment of it, and it instantly became one of my favourite albums, rivalling Ride The Lightning and And Justice For All at the time. Gradually, my interest in Maiden began to increase, as I found out about more songs, like Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Evil That Men Do, Wasted Years etc. I listened to more albums. I even began to love The Trooper, and to this day, it's one of my favourite Maiden songs. Pretty soon, even my love for Metallica was dwarfed by my love of Maiden. And that's all because I gave them another chance.

Want my piece of advice? Give it time. Sometimes you won't know for a long while what clicks, and what doesn't. The other thing is you're only 20, mate.

A lot of people here adore the entire catalogue, and some really love the newer work. Maybe you will, and maybe you won't, but my advice is don't forget to go back and spin the stuff you don't like now every now and then.

I'm like that with pretty much every band I like except Led Zeppelin and the Beatles. Those two bands are the only two which I like every album they've put out. But I'll give em another shot, though I honestly really do find them absolutely droning, at least the times I have played them.

Doc Rock (yes I'm calling him that from now on) has not in any way failed to communicate. He expressed his unpopular Maiden opinion as the thread suggested. He's done nothing but that; he hasn't tried to state "the albums since FotD are bad" as if it were a fact.

Maiden has done nothing that I personally like since 1992!
I just didn't like anything else they did at all. It bored me to tears.
those 2000's albums still don't click with me.

So maybe someday he'll change his opinions, or maybe he won't. It matters not, believers: Adrian Smith smiles upon us all.

Oh I've got one: Hooks In You is an awesome rock song. It's catchy, has a fun riff, and the band is very energized on the recording. Great song.

No Prayer as a whole is a really strong album. I've never gotten the hate for it, there are some clunkers for sure but I think they were successful in the "back to roots" mission statement overall. It's raw and aggressive and a really fun album. Public Enema in particular is fantastic.

Reactions: jcv
Holy Smoke is great. Tailgunner and the title track are acceptable. The rest is average at the very best, awful at the very worst (Hooks, Fates Warning).

Fates Warning, there's another song I love. That bridge is one of Maiden's best. I like the lyrical theme too.

They're both bad for me for different reasons. Hooks is ostentatious and annoying, Fates is dull and unmemorable.

Back