Your Maiden blasphemy

Can't believe I forgot this one: Transylvania is my least favorite Maiden instrumental. All the others are far superior, I'll never understand why people love Transylvania so much.

Can't believe I forgot this one: Transylvania is my least favorite Maiden instrumental. All the others are far superior, I'll never understand why people love Transylvania so much.

As someone who likes the song, is it to do with the second half? I think the first half is exceptional, and the second half is good, but not as strong.

Ides Of March is not only the worst song of the Di'Anno era, it's one of the worst Maiden songs. I'd seriously rate stuff like Gates Of Tomorrow or Hooks In You over it.

Nah it's the whole song. It's not bad, just not anything remarkable for me.

Do you like (or know of) other raw energetic, aggressive instrumental music, leaning on fast harmonic riffs, with accenting rhythmic section underneath?

Do you like (or know of) other raw energetic, aggressive instrumental music, leaning on fast harmonic riffs, with accenting rhythmic section underneath?
Sure, but I'm not sure why that has any bearing on whether or not the song is enjoyable to me.

The "bearing" is that Foro has offered several clear reasons why a person might like the song, while you've only said "unremarkable". It seems Foro was trying to carry on a conversation about the song. Congratulations on shutting that down, we nearly talked about Maiden on a Maiden forum, that was close!

I was triggered by "not anything remarkable" indeed.
Sure, but I'm not sure why that has any bearing on whether or not the song is enjoyable to me.
Well, in case you don't, you could certainly see the song as a remarkable one, even if you dislike a combo of these qualities. I have trouble with finding another song with such aspects myself.

Last edited:
I was triggered by "not anything remarkable" indeed.

Well, in case you don't, you could certainly see the song as a remarkable one, even if you dislike a combo of these qualities. I have trouble with finding another song with such aspects myself.
It's not so much that I dislike these qualities, but I don't find that they're executed in a way that excites or even interests me. I didn't think there was much discussion there because we agree that the song has those elements, its just a matter of whether or not we like the product of those elements. And it certainly didn't warrant a condescending response from SMX. I'd say that the other maiden instrumentals, mainly Loser Words, have these elements as well but uses them in a way that better suits my tastes

In terms of representing the ethos that the instrumental is trying to get across, I think Losfer does the best job of it, closely followed by Transylvania. Losfer is a transitional piece in the context of Powerslave, and has a sound that represents journey. Transylvania is meant to represent the gothic horror element of the place, and the first half does that excellently, while the second half is more traditional crazy metal riffs, which is good too, but you can get that anywhere.

Genghis is decent at representing ethos, a bit of a rampant song to represent the brutality and strength of the man and his hordes, but maybe a little too disjointed at times.

Ides...well Ides just sucks in my view, but you're welcome to your view.

Transylvania (first half) is slightly comedy, pantomime horror, in my mind. Good stuff though, I like it.

It's not so much that I dislike these qualities, but I don't find that they're executed in a way that excites or even interests me. I didn't think there was much discussion there because we agree that the song has those elements, its just a matter of whether or not we like the product of those elements. And it certainly didn't warrant a condescending response from SMX. I'd say that the other maiden instrumentals, mainly Loser Words, have these elements as well but uses them in a way that better suits my tastes
I certainly understand that your taste prefers Losfer (not Loser ;-) ).

But -not sure how we look at the terms raw and aggressive- in my ears Transylvania is in an entirely different league than Losfer when it comes to these aspects. Losfer also does not have these continuous accents (hard to put under words), that Steve and Clive are doing in the fast part. Perhaps this can be argued as being repetitive, while I think it's quite a cool and original (remarkable!) feat.

Oops, I'm typing on the phone. Missed that one :p

That's exactly my point. Losfer presents these elements in a completely different way. It's one that I find far more enjoyable too. I'll agree that Transylvania is more raw and aggressive, but I think that overpowers the other elements in a way that's not very enjoyable to me. And this is also part of why I prefer the Killers album to the debut.

Last edited:
Here are a few opinions I have that many might not agree with:

Wasting Love is easily a top five IM song for me and it's a shame they haven't brought that one back for their live set since the FotD tour
Wrathchild is a mediocre song that the band should stop playing live
Although it has some classic moments, The Number of the Beast has too much filler to be a truly great album
The quiet intro into the heavy riffing has been far too overdone in the last decade or so

Unpopular Maiden opinions...Hmm, how about insane Maiden opinions? Example:

No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark, The X Factor and Virtual XI are all awesome albums, that put all other Maiden albums to shame.

Pfffft

The quiet intro into the heavy riffing has been far too overdone in the last decade or so
Hmm, this led me to counting tracks on the last four albums, starting straightaway with distorted riffs or heavy parts, at least not calm parts (quite intros):

01. The Wicker Man
02. The Mercenary
03. Dream of Mirrors
04. Fallen Angel
05. The Nomad
06. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
- - - - - - -
07. Wildest Dreams (I know, it starts with Nicko counting but that's prerry short)
08. Rainmaker
09. Montségur
10. Gates of Tomorrow (not "real" distortion perhaps, but it's a riff, and not calm)
11. New Frontier
- - - - - - -
12. Different World (ajeeeh!)
13. The Pilgrim (right after a short drumintro)
14. Out of the Shadows
- - - - - - -
15. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (does not start with guitar riff, but it surely starts heavy)
16. El Dorado
17. Coming Home
18. The Alchemist

Indeed, the majority of the album tracks starts with quite intros. Especially on AMOLAD: 7 out of 10 songs start like that.

Last edited:
You forgot Wicker Man, Foro.

BNW and DoD had a great mix of fast songs and slower intros, but then the latter really started to get abused in AMOLAD and TFF. Now if done well, they can be great songs like Wild Wind, Brighter, Colours or Greater Good, but on the other end of the spectrum you get stuff like The Man Who Would Be King and The Legacy; not bad songs but just not very interesting.

Back