Sabaton

The sound is slightly different on the new album, as it's more upfront, and direct, due to higher emphasis on vocals and guitar, and much less on the keyboards. But, it still sounds very much like Sabaton, which is as you'd suspect, with Joakim still at the helm. And the songs still contain some bombast, and the anthemic qualities of the previous albums. I think it's a very good introduction to the new lineup, even though I do wish it was a little bit longer...

It's so good it has to be in there twice.

No, the second one shouldn't be in there. And I forgot to include Saboteurs between Panzerkampf and Firestorm.

My first impression of the new album after only ONE listen:

There are a few incredibly standout tracks: Night Witches, Inmate 4859, To Hell and Back, and Soldier of 3 Armies. The other two early release tracks, Far From the Fame and Resist and Bite, have really grown on me, especially the latter. Upon first listen, No Bullets Fly and Hearts of Iron did not especially grab me, but were quite good. Smoking Snakes sounds exactly like Aces in Exile. Ballad of Bull is quite interesting. Can't wait to listen to this album another 10+ times to form real opinions.

My initial reaction, however, seems to be the opposite of most Sabaton fans. I actually find this album to be pushing the boundaries of their style a little bit. Songs like Ballad of Bull and Resist and Bite have stripped down, atypical verses. The fact that there's a ballad at all is pretty monumental, even if it's not the greatest song on the album. The guitars have many moments of twin attack glory, and there's some awesome solos! I'd say the new lineup is certainly looking promising based on this material.

My first impression of the new album after only ONE listen:

There are a few incredibly standout tracks: Night Witches, Inmate 4859, To Hell and Back, and Soldier of 3 Armies. The other two early release tracks, Far From the Fame and Resist and Bite, have really grown on me, especially the latter. Upon first listen, No Bullets Fly and Hearts of Iron did not especially grab me, but were quite good. Smoking Snakes sounds exactly like Aces in Exile. Ballad of Bull is quite interesting.

These were my thoughts exactly after the first listen, except that I hated Ballad of Bull right away.

I can't stand them. Self-referential, "clever" songs that use other song titles/lyrics/band names annoy the crap out of me. Ditto (or even worse) for metal bands that sing metal songs about playing metal and singing metal songs.

:edmetal::shred::rocker:

Night Witches might be my favorite fast Sabaton song ever. And I've only heard it once.

That song is my fave on the album, it is a monster! I can't sit still whilst listening to that one. Foot tapping, air guitaring, and attempting to sing along with it even though I don't know the lyrics is just automatic whenever I'm listening to it! :lol:

It is the perfect song to open the album with, and introduce the new band, and slightly modified sound. It's very guitar driven, and in your face, and to top it off, both Thobbe and Chris play fine solos on it. The verses are irrepressibly catchy, with those chanted backing vocals, and Joakim's roaring vocals at their finest. It is the shortest song on the album, but it's a killer for sure. :)

Here's an interview with Joakim from last week's show in Tempe:

Halfway through, he gives a little anecdote for each song on the new album. When asked about Smoking Snakes, Joakim says, "Stereotypical Sabaton. If there ever was a song that sounds like Sabaton, that's Sabaton." Even he agrees with us!

Back