Sabaton

No, it's a different one. I'll go hunt it down once I'm done listening to the song.

A history of the Second World War in Europe as told by Sabaton:

1. Sabaton - Rise Of Evil (8:19)
2. Sabaton - 40:1 (4:10)
3. Sabaton - Resist And Bite (3:27)
4. Sabaton - Ghost Division (3:51)
5. Sabaton - Aces In Exile (4:22)
6. Sabaton - Far From The Fame (3:47)
7. Sabaton - Coat Of Arms (3:35)
8. Sabaton - Talvisota (3:32)
9. Sabaton - White Death (4:10)
10. Sabaton - Soldier Of 3 Armies (3:38)
11. Sabaton - Wehrmacht (4:14)
12. Sabaton - The Final Solution (4:56)
13. Sabaton - Inmate 4859 (4:26)
14. Sabaton - Night Witches (3:01)
15. Sabaton - Wolfpack (5:55)
16. Sabaton - Soldier Of 3 Armies (3:38)
17. Sabaton - Stalingrad (5:18)
18. Sabaton - Panzerkampf (5:15)
19. Sabaton - Firestorm (3:25)
20. Sabaton - No Bullets Fly (3:37)
21. Sabaton - To Hell And Back (3:26)
22. Sabaton - Smoking Snakes (3:14)
23. Sabaton - Union (Slopes of St. Benedict) (4:05)
24. Sabaton - Primo Victoria (4:10)
25. Sabaton - Screaming Eagles (4:07)
26. Sabaton - Uprising (4:55)
27. Sabaton - Attero Dominatus (3:43)
28. Sabaton - Hearts Of Iron (4:28)

I'm thinking about adding songs by other bands as well, but I'm off to bed for tonight.

A history of the Second World War in Europe as told by Sabaton:

1. Sabaton - Rise Of Evil (8:19)
2. Sabaton - 40:1 (4:10)
3. Sabaton - Resist And Bite (3:27)
4. Sabaton - Ghost Division (3:51)
5. Sabaton - Aces In Exile (4:22)
6. Sabaton - Far From The Fame (3:47)
7. Sabaton - Coat Of Arms (3:35)
8. Sabaton - Talvisota (3:32)
9. Sabaton - White Death (4:10)
10. Sabaton - Soldier Of 3 Armies (3:38)
11. Sabaton - Wehrmacht (4:14)
12. Sabaton - The Final Solution (4:56)
13. Sabaton - Inmate 4859 (4:26)
14. Sabaton - Night Witches (3:01)
15. Sabaton - Wolfpack (5:55)
16. Sabaton - Soldier Of 3 Armies (3:38)
17. Sabaton - Stalingrad (5:18)
18. Sabaton - Panzerkampf (5:15)
19. Sabaton - Firestorm (3:25)
20. Sabaton - No Bullets Fly (3:37)
21. Sabaton - To Hell And Back (3:26)
22. Sabaton - Smoking Snakes (3:14)
23. Sabaton - Union (Slopes of St. Benedict) (4:05)
24. Sabaton - Primo Victoria (4:10)
25. Sabaton - Screaming Eagles (4:07)
26. Sabaton - Uprising (4:55)
27. Sabaton - Attero Dominatus (3:43)
28. Sabaton - Hearts Of Iron (4:28)

I'm thinking about adding songs by other bands as well, but I'm off to bed for tonight.
I like it. We should make it a project.

Also, ya'll are making me real jealous with this new album talk...

Go to YouTube already! ::) Hurry up, we have a new survivor to do.

Almost every song on Heroes reminds me of another Sabaton song but that's not necessarily a bad thing. No Bullets Fly sounds exactly like Killing Ground at some points, for example. The similarities between Smoking Snakes and Aces and Exile are even more obvious, but I still love it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, because if you do, you get Ballad of Bull. <_<

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised with the album so far, I just wish it wasn't so short :/

Ballad is certainly the weakest, not as bad as I was expecting from comments but it's certainly not up to the other tracks... it's different, but different it's always good.

I should know what that damn solo in Hearts of Iron is but I can't think of the name >.<

Glad to see I'm not the only one here who doesn't hate Ballad Of Bull! lol Although it's not the shortest song on the album, it is the one that most feels unfinished to me.

And yep, the solo in Hearts Of Iron definitely reminds me of a solo in another song, but I just can't think of it's name! lol

Comments without having heard most songs:

Shorter album? Shorter songs? Sounds good: perhaps they threw overboard some repetiton or other unnecessary stuff.
In an interview I read they wanted to have the sound less big than the previous album and focus more on the guitars. I like that. Who knows there's also a bit less hallelujah.
Songs sounding like older songs, I am not a big fan of that. And not a great sign, just a few years after their breakthrough. Will come back to this after I heard it all.

When I mentioned similarities between songs, I didn't mean they are carbon copies or anything like that. This isn't a rare occurrence in Maiden either, as I'm sure you are well aware. It's the feeling, the occasional similar chord progression or a melody - nothing striking. I'm not sure you can define this as a sign at all, let alone good or bad. Just think about it - Sabaton's songs are mostly individual work by someone who also has a finite amount of subject matter variations to work with. Of course their sound will be distinct and will ring a bell to fans, it's only natural.

There's a piano song on Fist for Fight I think? Ballad being one of the longer songs on the album is probably a bit off, it would probably be received a bit better if the album was 45minutes or so long, and Ballad only 3 or so and positioned as the last track - so that it felt like less of a break in the album and more an ending.

Inmate 4859 feels like it was written to be along the lines of Rise of Evil but they couldn't decide where to take it, a much longer song - it has that epic feel but it's just so short.

RE: Songs sounding similar, there are little bits in Smoking Snakes that I agree sound like Aces in Exile certainly. But songs sounding similar within a band is frequent, a massive amount of Maidens songs use the same chords and/or shapes played in a different order... hell, BNW (which is my favourite) uses pretty much the same 4 chords throughout the entire album.

One thing we really have to keep in mind is that this is the first new album since the new lineup came in. This is in a very real way, an entirely different Sabaton.

One thing we really have to keep in mind is that this is the first new album since the new lineup came in. This is in a very real way, an entirely different Sabaton.

Joakim has always been the mastermind behind the Sabaton sound though. The fact that even though the band lost 3 members, they didn't lose any songwriters, means the core sound wasn't going to change much, if at all. The album is far more guitar driven, with less emphasis on the keyboards, which is a notable difference. Also, the band now have 2 great lead guitarists, initiating a true twin lead style within the band, as Oskar handled the vast majority of the band's solos before the split. The new lineup is killer in my opinion. :)

Oh no. I wasn't complaining about the new lineup. I think they sound great, I'm just saying there's going to be some familiarity stuff that will change too. These guitarists seem to have a better set of lead skills, so eventually, they will evolve in a slightly different direction. I'm very happy with the sound, but I'm just saying, the first album with two new guitarists, there's definitely going to be some differences in the process.

They had a lot of issues with finding keyboarders, so I guess they ended up not seeing it as such an essential element anymore. Joakim has said in an interview that the downtuning of the bombast and the larger focus on vocals wasn't planned, that it just happened as they were writing. I suppose it's still got to do with the fact that the three instrumentalists who were in the foreground the most are gone now. If it still sounds a lot like Sabaton, it's because all the songs were always written by Joakim to begin with.

Back