Iron Maiden songs – a rough overview of their “live history”

Probably the one thing I like the least about Maiden, is they tend to stick to a formula and never change it up. The results are predictable setlists and very few surprises on tour. The songwriting has started to get like that too, though it's not a big problem (yet). Even the stage designs have been the same template since like 83.

That's very true. They stick very heavily to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory.

Personally, I don't see Maiden live enough to worry about their setlists. Just the chance to see them makes it worth it. But, they do tend to play a lot of them same stuff. I think they vary it up with the new album tours, though. Hopefully they don't stop doing those.

As far as song structure, it's gotten a little old for me. I have nothing against long songs, but the quiet intro-heavy and fast-break into a gallop for two guitar solos-to another verse-chorus-chorus-quiet outro thing is starting to get on my nerves. It was fine for a couple songs on every album, but AMOLAD and TFF have pretty much killed what I call the "Fear of the Dark song structure."

Fair comment in the big picture, but not really true of TFF.
Really the only song that really fits the FotD formula is Wild Wind, and even that has more sections than what you describe.

I don't really agree with that specific comparison, but the sentiment is true.

They've been rehashing the acoustic epic since 2000, with Dream Of Mirrors, Dance Of Death, The Legacy and Talisman. The latest one being the least original, IMO. Starblind is like if Infinite Dreams met Lord Of Light, and the Harris epics have had really predictable structures and chord progressions. Wild Wind being an exception.

This isn't really a huge problem tough, while some material is less original, it's still really good. Avalon is one of their more unique epics in recent years, which is part of the reason why I like it so much.

Seeing this makes me ask. Does anyone have the setlist the band played at El Faro on 1993? It was the first concert played on the Real Live Tour.

Hello there Forostar. THANKS FOR THAT buuuutttt as you can see, the person who posted it in "Setlist" didn't went to the gig so I can't be 100% to sure about it. The other detail is that the set list the person has given is exactly the same the band played at Madrid (Sala Canciller) which I know was the 2 days after the one and Kadoc but if that is true, it means that the given set list was only played in Portugal and Spain which would be strange as they usually change a set list from one gig to another, however, I wish to confirm the info because my findings are going to be printed in a serious report and wouldn't want to print something not veryfied.

The problem is that there is no indication of a bootleg to exist from that gig. It may be impossible to verify.

Yeah, my only chance is that someone who actually went to the concert can confirm the info.

Yeah, and I wouldn't rely too much on that either. 20 year old memories aren't necessarily perfect.

Yeah, unless someone wrote the setlist somewhere for future reference.
reading.gif

Anyway, Luisma, after some online search, you might have the luck of having the setlist here (or ask anyone...): Portuguese Fanzine, this issue about Iron Maiden's show in Portugal in 1993.

http://ironmaidensanctuaryfanzine.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2698700

Yeah, unless someone wrote the setlist somewhere for future reference.
reading.gif

Anyway, Luisma, after some online search, you might have the luck of having the setlist here (or ask anyone...): Portuguese Fanzine, this issue about Iron Maiden's show in Portugal in 1993.

http://ironmaidensanctuaryfanzine.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2698700

Seems like I'm getting soon a confirmation from a fan who went to the concert. So far I have confirmed info that the same playlist was played at least in 2 or 3 gigs after the one I'm asking so it seems it was played in Portugal & Spain and that Wrathchild was dropped after the gig played on April 5th

Talking about first concerts in tours, maybe another song from Powerslave that should be included on this list is "Back in the Village". Yeah, really. It was mentioned by Adrian Smith on the last FC Magazine as one of the songs they dropped from the set. The last part of the mag (of the past mags), has this interview with him.

If someone has it, can scan it, please?

It's also important to notice that there's no bootleg from the first 2 dates of the World Slavery Tour. So maybe, although we don't have any conclusions in which dates exactly, could it encourage a search for some of these boots...?

Last edited:
Long ago.
edit:
The last one I got was from December 2013, and it's number 97. What about you?

One week ago someone wrote that it was the last one.

@lira I just read it! Sorry, I thought you meant it was a recent Q&A section.
Will do some more research on these gigs. Thanks for pointing this out, it was the only stuff I hadn't read yet. :oops:

Last edited:
No, it's a 1984 interview. They're printing the earliest issues on every mag.

The last one has the cover of Maiden England '14 tour.

Back