Bruce Dickinson: Rock ‘n’ Roll Warmonger

Sorry for continuing this, but still, I have a reason to not find this source completely dubious. It was on a site which says to be the team Bruce has joined. Why wouldn't they have first hand info?

Just as the other site I quoted on page 3? These are no gossip pages. They are from organizations of which Bruce has become a part.

Now why aren't these sources reliable?

Uh. Because, Foro, there is no source. Three of the websites posted took the exact same line from others. Bruce didn't vet the speaker's site - someone googled him and copy and pasted what they wrote. That is evident.

As for the LSi site, well, again, [citation needed].

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/b...aviation-firm-co-founded-iron-maidens-4327449

No mention of drones - and this came from AFTER the other sites. I'm sorry, if there's a government contract there's a paper trail.

Exactly. After reading your link, here are some thoughts:
Why would they make a big deal about a five million pound investment if they just got 500 million from the US gov?
It says the five million invested was part of 150 million that the EU was using to boost small to medium sized businesses.
Bruce's company was described as "fledgling" in the article.
I highly doubt he would get that stimulus dough if he had a $500,000,000 contract.

I'll be seeing them at the Sept. 3rd. show. If it is B.S., I wonder if he'll comment on it. (if it is, he probably doesn't even know about the article).

Let's presume that this alleged stuff is indeed true.

- UAVs are not "drones". When you say "drones" you refer to UCAVs. There's no Combat in UAVs. They don't have provisions to fire on people.
- Lighter than air UAVs are generally in early stages of technological development

Having that in mind...

Couple of hundred million $ equals to complete R&D, testing, and a production batch of vehicles. This stuff isn't fielded in numbers, anywhere, yet. With a capital contract like this, Bruce & co could achieve good position on the market in near future. There is another caveat, but since the author of the "controversial" article doesn't seem to know anything regarding aero / mil. aero industry, take it with a grain of salt...the author mentions US Army contract. I haven't been following structural changes in US armed forces lately, but last time I checked, USAF is the sole operator of UCAVs, eg. "drones". USN has none, and Army has none. They use UAVs for all types of stuff, from simple video recording to signals intelligence.

The only possible damage that can come out of this will be caused by lazy journalism and people going apeshit about stuff they don't really understand. I hope it won't come to this. This stuff won't hurt anyone.

http://www.gizmag.com/unmanned-airship-silent-sentinel/27867/

This is the Sky Sentinel, one of most recent technological demonstrators. It's 30 meters long. It has 136 kg provisions for payload. Payload meaning anything that isn't a part of structure, vehicle control or propulsion. In essence, this stuff hovers at high altitude with long endurance. But it's slow, I'd use an educated guess of 100 knots max. Simply put, combat efficiency of this apparatus equals to mounting a machine gun on Fiat Punto.

Not only that these stuff isn't designed with combat in purpose, the technology doesn't even have an evolution path to that point.
Simply put, Bruce's "drones" won't fire on people, nor will any future derivative work.

I'll be seeing them at the Sept. 3rd. show. If it is B.S., I wonder if he'll comment on it. (if it is, he probably doesn't even know about the article).
He won't, as well as he shouldn't. He doesn't have to waste his (and the fans) time with this bullshit. You're probably right that he doesn't even know about the article.

Well Bruce talked about this project here so we can listen to his words on the subject:

I don't rule out that this sounds like a "press"-statement sent to organizations to promote one of their speakers, namely Bruce.

E.g., I also found this in a conference program:
http://www.advantageconference.co.u...ta_2012/advantage_conference_2012_program.pdf

programme
10.00 – 11.00
The art of performing on different stages
Bruce Dickinson

Still an active member of Iron Maiden, one of the most successful rock bands of all time having sold over 85 million albums
worldwide, Bruce’s other passion is flying and he holds a commercial airline pilot’s licence. His evident entrepreneurial spirit has
also seen him obtain government funding to create an aircraft maintenance company creating 1,500 jobs in Wa
les and he is also involved in an airship venture to manufacture drones which have both a military and a commercial application.
In his presentation, Bruce will provide a fascinating insight into:
• How to thrive in the ultimate change management environment: one day selling out 50,000 seater arenas, the next day
negotiating complex leasing agreements with aircraft providers
• The need to be agile and flexible in business planning with an ability to seize an unexpected opportunity
• The ups and downs of business and the sometimes hard lessons that have been learnt
Finally, Bruce will offer us a glimpse into the potential future of air travel and the opportunities that it may present us
11.00 – 11.30
Coffee Break

+

keynote speaker

Bruce Dickinson is the lead singer of Iron Maiden, a commercial pilot,
business angel, entrepreneur and creative business thinker. Bruce was a
pilot and marketing director for Astraeus Airlines which recently went into
administration. In addition Bruce has government funding to create an
aircraft maintenance company creating 1,500 jobs in Wales.
Bruce is involved in an airship venture to manufacture ‘lighter than air’
drones with a contract to supply the US Army. He is also setting up a
separate training company (Real World Aviation) to train future pilots.
Bruce left Iron Maiden in 1993 in order to pursue a solo career, his
passion for fencing and an interest in becoming a pilot. Bruce re-joined
the band in 1999 and has gone on to release four albums; despite this he
hasn't stopped flying Boeing 757s.

Well Bruce talked about this project here so we can listen to his words on the subject:

Interesting, so it is not a drone, it is essentially a cargo blimp that can be used for surveillance as well and has good possible civilian uses.

So, the article took one incredibly small piece of the puzzle, left out the important facts and was in fact flat out wrong calling this a drone and drawing completely false conclusions

Case closed!

The video was actually pretty interesting though. Gonna be on the lookout for more footage from this conference.

Yeah, that thing is pretty cool. Transporting Cargo from one place to another has always been a problem. That would seem like a good way to do it in places where there is no traditional infrastructure

Back