Bruce Dickinson: Rock ‘n’ Roll Warmonger

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
WARNING: THE TITULAR ARTICLE IS MISINFORMED AND BASED ON WRONG FACTS. IT SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. FOR MORE INFORMATION, SEE THE REST OF THIS THREAD, ESPECIALLY PAGES 4 AND 5. PLEASE DO NOT SPREAD THIS ARTICLE WITHOUT A COMMENT EXPLAINING THIS.

The original, unedited post now follows.

Here is an interesting article that may raise a few eyebrows:

Does rock ‘n’ roll have a conscience? Should it? Does it even matter? While there are many who like to keep their politics and their music separate, rock ‘n’ roll has spawned dozens of artists who used the medium of music to promote and advance their political views and causes, mainly those of the progressive/left variety.

The Clash are an obvious example of a band that proved there isn’t much that’s more rock ‘n’ roll than harnessing your revolutionary zeal to the electric guitar, however contrived they may have been; three chords and the truth? You better believe it. Stiff Little Fingers, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Crass, New Model Army, Manic Street Preachers, Queensryche, Elvis Costello and The Jam, to name just a few, produced their very best music when they were political; when they were angry, full of fire and youthful passion. Even the bleak apolitical nihilism of extreme metal is to be welcomed. At least it’s genuine and has something to say about the world in which we live.

There are countless other examples of artists donating chunks of their earnings; appearance fees, royalties and the like, in the pursuit of their chosen causes and that’s cool, too. Put your money where your chorus is. What’s not to admire? There’s a credible argument that an artist’s job is to express him or herself honestly and if the form of that expression is political then so be it. In fact, we might go further; rock ‘n’ roll is supposed to be anti-establishment, it’s supposed to be the music of outsiders and it’s supposed to want to change the world for the better. It’s at its most thrilling, visceral and vital when it’s passionate and suggests that such a change might just be possible.

Maybe, though, the debate shouldn't be about artists who are overtly political. Maybe the debate should be about those who preach one thing via their art but act quite otherwise offstage. Musicians as prone to hypocrisy as normal mortals? There’s a shocker, eh? Every now and again, though, one encounters an example that truly sickens.

Take Iron Maiden frontman, Bruce Dickinson. While Dickinson has never been overtly political in his music, one could hazard a reasonably educated guess as to where, on the political spectrum, his sympathies might be located. The singer, from an entrepreneurial middle-class family, has extensive business interests and he recently gave an interview to the Ice Live Business Forum explaining some of his views and talking about his background and various ventures. Given all that, it would hardly drop jaws were the ‘aspirational’ musician revealed to be a Tory. While many might find it disgusting that Dickinson could be a supporter of a party engaged in a deliberate and conscious campaign to impoverish a large segment of his band’s traditionally working-class base, he’s as entitled as anyone else to support whomsoever he wishes.

On a whole other level of inexcusable cynicism and greed, however, is Dickinson’s recent acceptance from the US military of a contract to manufacture ‘lighter-than-air’ Drones. The contract is believed to be worth anything up to $500,000,000, according to Conference Speakers International.

As most will know, Drones, or Unmanned Combat Air Vehicles (UCAV), have been responsible for thousands of civilian deaths and has seen the USA condemned by a growing number of countries around the world. Frankly, their use in the ‘War on Terror’ is unquestionably immoral as is the ‘War on Terror’ itself. Rehman Malik, Pakistan’s Minister of the Interior, has said, "Drone missiles cause collateral damage. A few militants are killed, but the majority of victims are innocent citizens." Quite. Even a conservative estimate of the number of deaths along the Pakistanborder has been pegged at around 3,500.

In addition, the FBI has recently confirmed that surveillance Drones are being used to spy on America’s civilian population. Adding to the controversy of the US Government’s illegal and unethical partnership with business interests to invade the privacy and smash the civil liberties of its citizens.

It’s quite a feat to end up even more morally reprehensible than unhinged neocon lunatic Ted Nugent but, with this contract, Dickinson has accomplished it with ease. Fans may wish to consider that a proportion of the cash they spend on Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson product might well end up in the pockets of a man who, however one spins the facts is, at the very least, indirectly engaged in the slaughter of poverty-stricken families of Pakistani civilians.

Next time Maiden fans are treated to the in-concert spectacle of the band’s singer, decked out in his trademark red guardsman uniform, singing of the horrors of Paschendale, they might wish to ponder his revolting hypocrisy. Similarly, it will require a robust constitution to avoid vomiting when next Dickinson treats fans to a rendition of 2 Minutes To Midnight.

“The body bags and little rags of children torn in two

And the jellied brains of those who remain to put the finger right on you.

As the madmen play on words and make us all dance to their song,

To the tune of starving millions to make a better kind of gun.”

You said it, Bruce…

Harry Paterson

Source: http://www.dorseteye.com/north/articles/bruce-dickinson-rock-n-roll-warmonger

The source article it links to:

Bruce Dickinson (lead singer of Iron Maiden) joins our Team!
Oct 5, 2012 // by Conference Speakers // Uncategorized // No Comments

a truly unique and exciting new speaker!!

Bruce combines world class rock with world class business savvy and has joined our team! In addition to touring with Iron Maiden – THE most successful touring rock band in the world – Bruce the business man has been involved in manufacturing air ships lighter than air drones which has received a $500 million contract from the US Military, developed a flight training company and set up an aircraft maintenance company which is looking to create 1500 jobs in Cardiff. All reflecting his passion for successful business creation. As a speaker he shares his experiences of business start-ups, entrepreneurship and business creativity and reinvention and draws parallels between his music and business careers. Lead Singer of one of the world’s greatest rock bands of all time!

Bruce is involved in an air ship venture to manufacture lighter than air drones with a contract to supply the US Army. He is also setting up a separate Training Company (Real World Aviation) to train future Pilots. Bruce left Iron Maiden in 1993 in order to pursue a solo career, his passion for fencing and an interest in becoming a pilot. Bruce re-joined the band in 1999 and has gone on to release four albums; despite this he hasn’t stopped flying Boeing 757s.

What he offers you – Bruce is very keen to speak on his projects tying it in with business start-up, entrepreneurship and business creativity. In addition he is willing to talk about the parallels between his music and business careers. He is also able to deliver team building experiences focused around his flight simulator.

How he presents – With a captivating style, humour and wisdom, Bruce Dickinson’s presentations entertain and motivate audiences.

Languages – He presents in English.

Want to know more? – Give us a call or send us an e-mail to find out exactly what he could bring to your event.

How to book him? – Simply phone, or e-mail us.

Source: http://www.conferencespeakers.co.za/bruce-dickinson-lead-singer-of-iron-maiden-joins-our-team/

I am personally not yet sure what to make of this.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not really sure either.

In a way.. it's a business decision, he's manufacturing something - he's not in control of what it's used for. But then I would imagine he is aware of it's intended purpose, so it's where to draw the line - if he doesn't make them someone else will, but it's how far do you hold to your principles.

Well everybody has their price. (Everybody's got their vice, too ;) ). I guess $500,000,000 is Brucie's price. Can't blame him.

I highly question an article that says this

"While many might find it disgusting that Dickinson could be a supporter of a party engaged in a deliberate and conscious campaign to impoverish a large segment of his band’s traditionally working-class base, he’s as entitled as anyone else to support whomsoever he wishes. "

This post contains edits, since I regret some words I said (misled by wrong information).

Thanks Per, I never close my eyes for the doings of people I admire, so I want to be informed as well as possible.
I am personally not yet sure what to make of this.
Even though I am not sure what lighter-than-air drones are and wonder if they will be used for the same purposes as the other drones the author writes about, I can't deny this thought at the moment: What the flying(!) fuck?!
he's not in control of what it's used for. But then I would imagine he is aware of it's intended purpose, so it's where to draw the line - if he doesn't make them someone else will, but it's how far do you hold to your principles.
Indeed. He's not in control. but he isn't dumb either. Indirectly a manufacturer can be associated with the use of its products.
I highly question an article that says this

"While many might find it disgusting that Dickinson could be a supporter of a party engaged in a deliberate and conscious campaign to impoverish a large segment of his band’s traditionally working-class base, he’s as entitled as anyone else to support whomsoever he wishes. "
Does "highly question" mean that you doubt if this story about the contract is true?

Last edited:
highly question means that the article is clearly not neutral (or ever trying to be) and I would not accept anything in it as fact.

I watched the Ice Live interview and I would not interpret that in the same way as this article implies.

The man has taken his own money and invested in into an area that by all accounts can use jobs, especially skilled jobs like these. It seems they would be happier if Bruce told all these people to get screwed and he went about ranting against the system instead of doing something productive.

So, no, I do not believe it based on them and would like to see it confirmed and his actual comments since they seem to like to take things out of context and spin it to promote whatever agenda they have

I think it is wrong. I tend to doubt the US is farming out the new generation of drones to a non US country and $500 million would not even begin to cover the costs for that. It might be possible he has a contract with the company that has the contract to make the drones. I would prefer to see it from another source besides a speakers bureau blurb in South Africa ... if it turns out he is having something to do with the manufacture of drones for the US (unlikely) .. I guess good for him, he managed to beat out Lockeed Martin, Boeing, GE, and every other major US defense company.

It could be wrong indeed, but then I'd imagine it won't be long til it is removed.

Can I change the order of some parts of your post?
if it turns out he is having something to do with the manufacture of drones for the US (unlikely) .. I guess good for him, he managed to beat out Lockeed Martin, Boeing, GE, and every other major US defense company.
I think it is wrong.
;)

Nope, the ordering is exactly right the way I had it.

The article is probably wrong.

a company filling a government work order is not wrong in any circumstance ... that is what they are there for, to stay in business and ideally prosper. If you want to blame anyone, blame the government for ordering it not whatever companies are making these.

Do people who don't mind what these drones do, also not mind that Bruce has anything to do with it?

Before people start judging him, we should find out exactly what Bruce's relation to the drone manufacturing is. For all we know he could have little to nothing to do with it.

There is no proof Bruce has anything to do with it beyond a crap article based on a South African website ... but that aside.

It depends, there are good uses for drones and bad uses for them ... just like airplanes, computers, cars, and about any other kind of technology and machinery that exists.

Before people start judging him, we should find out exactly what Bruce's relation to the drone manufacturing is. For all we know he could have little to nothing to do with it.

Exactly ... the article posted is of the same ilk as some of the Travis articles in the US politics forum. Some website said Obama is XXXXX ... oh, if one unreliable source says it is true it must be

I kind of agree Mosh, but this topic was opened so I can imagine some people want to talk about it.

Bruce is trying to get his business rolling. How do we know he had any other option? Suppose the choice was to accept the contract or make ten people redundant. We have no idea what the situation was, how can we blame him?

Exactly ... the article posted is of the same ilk as some of the Travis articles in the US politics forum. Some website said Obama is XXXXX ... oh, if one unreliable source says it is true it must be
I was going to say the same thing. The article reads just like those conspiracy theories, just from a different side of the spectrum. Until we have some actual sources, it should be treated as such.

Back