Bruce Dickinson

Ok so I've listened to both Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding. Both were very good but I think I liked Chemical Wedding more. Can't really pin point why but maybe it just grabbed me more?

It probably is that The Chemical Wedding has more powerful songs. For me, Accident of Birth has one masterpiece (Darkside of Aquarius) while The Chemical Wedding has two (Book of Thel, Jerusalem). The overall song quality on TCW is higher and it has a better flow as an album.

But then again, some people like AOB more. Keep listening !

I am one of those people. :D
I like both albums very much, but while I always listen to AOB as a whole album, I tend to pick certain songs from Chemical Wedding. AOB just feels more consistent to me.

I think that's what I liked most about TCW was that the songs did seem more powerful than on AOB. They did definitely grab my attention more and I agree about how it has more of a flow to it. To me, TCW would be the album I'd listen to all the way through while AOB would be the one I'd pick and choose songs. I'll keep listening and maybe my opinion with change? Who knows!

Ariana speaks for me, exactly.
I agree with Flash about CW's highs, but it has more tracks that are just OK.
I'm really looking forward to the Bruce survivor.
Moonchild, I hope you join us. It will be a good way to learn the catalogue.

Think the new survivors are supposed to launch on Sept. 21.
Hope it includes Bruce's non-album and bonus tracks. Looks like Foro has a bunch in his top 10.
Silver Wings is definitely there for me, and Return of the King is a great one too.

I am one of those people. :D
I like both albums very much, but while I always listen to AOB as a whole album, I tend to pick certain songs from Chemical Wedding. AOB just feels more consistent to me.

+ 1
Looking forward to the survivor as well.

I can imagine some of you hadn't heard these clips but they are also on page 3 of this thread, posted by national acrobat in January 2009: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/bruce-dickinson.11858/page-3#post-209982

What buggers me is that Bruce said on The Best of Bruce Dickinson that the song Dracula was the first thing he ever recorded. I thought that was with his band Shots, in 1977. Speed is the band Bruce was in before Shots. Perhaps these Speed songs were recorded after the Dracula song (perhaps he was in two bands at the same time for a short period)? Who knows Bruce forgot about Speed when he talked about Dracula, but to be honest he sounds a tiny more experienced on the Speed tracks, so I can imagine Dracula is indeed older.

I actually listen to his college tracks more often than some of his Maiden material. Gotta admit you can hear his inner Ian Gillan fanboy loudly and clearly in them.

Balls to Picasso and Skunkworks never get enough credit. Neither of them have a single filler and they both have brilliant bonus tracks (The Breeding House, Re-Entry, both No Way Outs, Rescue Day). They're not as easily accessible, I guess.

I had a little question, Im beginning to listen to Bruce's solo albums and... who plays the solo of the song Omega? Roy Z or Adrian? If my ear doesnt trick me its Adrian...

It's not one solo, nor is everything played by Adrian. Follow me:

There are 3 solos:
1 Adrian starting 2:55
2 Adrian starting at 3:49
3 Roy Z starting at 4:02
(harmony follows)

You're right, I guess.
I tend to disregard Roy's one, as it is followed by the harmonies.

Sorry Adrian adepts, but I'd even go further:
I suspect Roy doing all that stuff in that fast and rather difficult harmony (either two recordings, either one recording doubled with an effect). It's very difficult to let two different people play with exactly the same intention and precision, with such speed. Only the writer of such a piece can make both lines sound exactly like it was one (the different tone excepted of course), I think. The end of it is certainly not Adrian: he doesn't play like that.

I can imagine some of you hadn't heard these clips but they are also on page 3 of this thread, posted by national acrobat in January 2009: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/bruce-dickinson.11858/page-3#post-209982

What buggers me is that Bruce said on The Best of Bruce Dickinson that the song Dracula was the first thing he ever recorded. I thought that was with his band Shots, in 1977. Speed is the band Bruce was in before Shots. Perhaps these Speed songs were recorded after the Dracula song (perhaps he was in two bands at the same time for a short period)? Who knows Bruce forgot about Speed when he talked about Dracula, but to be honest he sounds a tiny more experienced on the Speed tracks, so I can imagine Dracula is indeed older.

Forostar, there is a difference between Speed and Paul White's Speed. The first one is the real band where Bruce played before Shots - i think from 1976 to 1978. The record we hear is a new Speed project put up by the only reminiscent Speed drummer Paul White, in 1979 (Bruce was already involved with Samson). In Paul White's Speed Bruce just recorded the 2 tracks and left while the band stayed for gigs.

We don't actually hear the original Speed sound.

Back