Bruce Dickinson

"The Chemical Wedding" is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, and I'd rank it up there alongside Maiden's most classic albums. It's more than just a great album, it's an experience, and takes you on a journey... I'm just blown away every time I listen to it. <3

Aside from that, "Accident Of Birth" is fantastic metal album, full of awesome songs like "Darkside Of Aquarius", "Omega", and "Freak". It is slightly overshadowed by the majestic follow up album, but it's still great nonetheless. "Balls To Picasso" I think, is a very underrated album, as nearly every song on it is excellent.

It would have been hard to imagine, after Bruce's first solo album, the fun rocker "Tattooed Millionaire", that he would go on to release such metal masterpieces with his solo band later on. Thank the stars he hooked up with Roy Z! lol  :blush: 

Travis The Dragon said:
Not only did hooking up with Roy Z help, but getting Adrian to play as well.

Well, getting H in the band was an inspired move on Bruce's part, and his classic brand of soloing definitely added a touch of extra class to Bruce's material at that time. Not mention contributing some awesome material himself, such as "The Road To Hell", "Ghost Of Cain", and "The Tower"! I do feel it was primarily Roy who resurrected Bruce's career whilst he was out of Maiden, but H definitely brought something special to the table as well once he got involved. In fact, as happy as I was when Bruce and H rejoined Maiden, I felt some sadness too, because Bruce's solo band was on fire at the time when it ended... :(

Travis The Dragon said:
I can understand you there Sara. At least we got Tyranny Of Souls as a nice little bonus surprise.

That album was very welcome I have to say, although I was a little disappointed that H didn't play on it. But still, songs like "Navigate The Seas Of The Sun", "Abuduction", and "Devil On A Hog" are amongst my fave Bruce solo songs. :)

Considering that The Chemical Wedding was an incredibly hard act to follow, I think Tyranny of Souls is its own little masterpiece. Here's to hoping that Bruce and Roy Z collaborate for another one sometime in the not too distant future!

"Tyranny Of Souls" is slightly weaker than it's predecessor, but seeing as it's predecessor is one of the greatest albums of all time, there's no shame in that! But something magical always seems to happen when Bruce teams up with Roy Z, and TOS was no exception to that. There are some genuinely fantastic songs on the album, mixing the darkness of the previous 2 albums, with even a moment of classic rock that wouldn't have been out of place on "Tattooed Millionaire". ("Devil On A Hog")  :)

I definitely echo the sentiment that I really hope Bruce teams up with Roy again soon for another album. Together, they are a deadly combination!

I'm glad to see a little love for Tyranny here.
It's not as good as two that came before, but it's a solid collection of songs that I think has been generally underrated.

Kill Devil Hill is a wonderful song, quite possibly is in my Top 10. (i don't have a list for Bruce's solo material) So is Navigate the Seas of the Sun.

'Kill Devil Hill' is my number one Bruce song. And 'Navigate The Seas Of The Sun' is in my top ten Bruce songs as well. Both songs are stunning indeed. I don't dig 'Devil On A Hog', 'Tyranny Of Souls' and 'Believil', though.

54 and still running like this. :)

Funny photo! Source:
Iron Maiden singer competes in Grasmere fell race

Number 30 seems to be thinking "Hang on, is that Bruce Fucking Dickinson?":confused:

He did come 161 out of 181 though. I'm thinking that Fencing will remain his strongest event in the Modern Pentathlon.

Cheers!

Bruce certainly ran in front at the start haha! Wish I was there. It has a bit of a Mr. Bean feel to it. :)

untitled-2_17.jpg

Some of the contributions to this thread make me think that I should listen to some of Dickinson' solo stuff. I've never bothered to do so, but I certainly will some day. It seems I should begin with this CHemical Wedding.

Back