Bruce Dickinson

Some of the contributions to this thread make me think that I should listen to some of Dickinson' solo stuff. I've never bothered to do so, but I certainly will some day. It seems I should begin with this CHemical Wedding.

You really should. The Chemical Wedding is a masterpiece, one of my favorite albums of all time. (as you can see in my avatar :D)

I'm listening to it right now. Some passages remind me of Operation mindcrime, others of recent Maiden, but I confess that's rather good.

Some of the contributions to this thread make me think that I should listen to some of Dickinson' solo stuff. I've never bothered to do so, but I certainly will some day. It seems I should begin with this CHemical Wedding.

Unbelievable. We're talking about the singer of our favourite band here, come on.
You're about 22 years, 6 studio albums and 2 live albums behind and then some:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Dickinson_discography

Nice you made a start though. Take your time. Now that you left this stuff so long alone, it would be a shame if you'd consume it too fast (or else you could draw your conclusions too early). Some stuff is very different, but that doesn't mean that it should be overlooked (or only played once).

Unbelievable. We're talking about the singer of our favourite band here, come on.
You're about 22 years, 6 studio albums and 2 live albums behind and then some:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Dickinson_discography

Nice you made a start though. Take your time. Now that you left this stuff so long alone, it would be a shame if you'd consume it too fast (or else you could draw your conclusions too early). Some stuff is very different, but that doesn't mean that it should be overlooked (or only played once).

Absolutely. The worst possible thing you could do with Bruce is try to listen to all of his work at once (at least at the beginning). He's taken a lot of interesting twists with each album. I remember when I listened to each album for the first time, I was largely unimpressed by it (including The Chemical Wedding, which, incidentally, was my first album, too). That's the cool this about his material, though -- you gain a different appreciation for it after each listen.

Bruce is my favorite artist. I prefer his solo stuff to even Iron Maiden and Guns N' Roses. :D

Well, I must admit I'm not a big fan of his. I love his voice obviously, but I don't consider him a major songwriter for Maiden, and I dislike his personnality : too much attempt to attract the attention, and I think he is bigmouthed. I just listened to a few songs of Tatooed Millionaire and hated them, so when he quitted Maiden, I completely lost interest in what he was doing. Here is the explanation. And honestly, the reason why I'm gonna try to listen to his record is because I hope to discover some good music. It has nothing to do with him singing for Maiden. And I've never really listened to Adrian solo stuff, nor DiAnno's.

Tattooed Millionaire is by far his worst album. Balls to Picasso is good, Skunkworks is good, Accident of Birth is great, The Chemical Wedding is a masterpiece, Tyranny of Souls is very good.

Adrian's solo albums are great, too. I recommend ASAP's Silver and Gold and the album that was released last year through his latest side project (Primal Rock Rebellion), Awoken Broken. His albums with Psycho Motel are also very good.

---

And about his personality, it's not hard to see that Bruce is a very emotional man. It's normal that he wants attraction, he's a leo after all. :D An emotional leo begs for attraction, no surprises here.

I love the way he sees stuff, really. He's a sophisticated man.

Parbleu!
It has nothing to do with him singing for Maiden.
That's exactly what I find ridiculous about it. Because he was in Maiden, there's a chance that he did something interesting. (Instead, you've ignored him and other members' their careers for years)

After your explanation it sounds a bit more logical, but still my amazement stands (I am always amazed by people who entirely turn their backs for years at people they've followed so long and so intensely).

@ The Flash, thanks a lot for the advice : I appreciate and I will try and listen this stuff.
@ Forostar. The thing is, I've never turned my back on Dickinson, because I've never ever trully followed him: I'm a Maiden fan, and he quitted saying that he wanted to do something else, that Maiden had become to formular and predictable for him, and that he had nothing in common with Steve Harris. Consequently, I didn't even bother to listen to his stuff. His name is not just appealing. The only guys I would follow are Harris and Murray.
On a more general basis, I must admit that I've never been to eager to discover new stuff : I'd rather listen again and again to my old Maiden and Sabbath records and buy the new Maiden, Dream Theater, than try and "discover" new things. I've recently been proven wrong, as I've listend for the first time to Mastodon, which I like a lot, but I can do without new music.

I must admit I haven't really listened to any solo material from any members of Maiden. I have some old Samson records & listened to some of Bruce's solo stuff (Balls To Picasso) back in the 90's --but that's about it. Not really that unbelievable Forostar. In fact, with my guitar leaning interest, I really should check out Adrian's solo/side stuff. I sort of agree with what you said earlier harrisdevot --about Bruce, the person.

I'm going to say the same thing again, you absolutely should check out Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding. Two of the greatest albums of 90's.

I've actually been looking to get into some of Bruce's solo stuff too but have NO idea where to start! I guess I should just look back through here and see what people say. I'm thinking I might start with Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth because alot people seem to like those two the most.

Adrian's solo stuff I've already gotten into and I love it. Haven't really heard any of the Psycho Motel stuff yet though and I hear nothing but good things about that and I haven't gotten a chance to hear Primal Rock Rebellion yet either.

I've actually been looking to get into some of Bruce's solo stuff too but have NO idea where to start! I guess I should just look back through here and see what people say. I'm thinking I might start with Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth because alot people seem to like those two the most.
I think you should do so. The Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are albums that picture 'the Bruce that we all know' :) Very Maiden-like, so you're not gonna be scared off. Then proceed to the rest.

If anyone is interested in Bruce's solo stuff, that's the order I would personally recommend:
1. Accident of Birth (because for his solo career it's the actual beginning of 'metal Bruce')
2. The Chemical Wedding (this one is the best but musically it's sort of next chapter to Accident of Birth, so this is the best order)
3. Tyranny of Souls
4. Balls to Picasso
5. Skunkworks
6. Tattooed Millionaire

Well, I'd say that according to my list the order after Tyranny of Souls doesn't matter.

I haven't gotten a chance to hear Primal Rock Rebellion yet either.
Awoken Broken is my album of the year. I love it so much... But I have to say that it's something different. If you have a classic metal taste, I don't guarantee you're gonna like it ;) But definitely check it out! Come on. It's Adrian full on! :D

I think you should do so. The Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are albums that picture 'the Bruce that we all know' :) Very Maiden-like, so you're not gonna be scared off. Then proceed to the rest.
Its funny that you say that because I tried starting with Tattooed Millionaire (the song anyway) and I listened to it and I wasn't too sure about it. Its good but because I'm so use to Maiden Bruce, it was very iffy for me. I think I'll follow your list and start with Accident of Birth and work my way.

Thanks! :)

Awoken Broken is my album of the year. I love it so much... But I have to say that it's something different. If you have a classic metal taste, I don't guarantee you're gonna like it ;) But definitely check it out! Come on. It's Adrian full on! :D
When it comes to metal, I know what I like and don't like so i'll give it a listen and see what comes of it. I'm more into classic metal but I'm into different metal bands of different genres and I'm very open about music so its worth giving it a chance and if its "Adrian full on" then I'm all in! :D

Its funny that you say that because I tried starting with Tattooed Millionaire (the song anyway) and I listened to it and I wasn't too sure about it. Its good but because I'm so use to Maiden Bruce, it was very iffy for me.
After all, with Tattooed Millionaire Bruce wanted to try something different than Maiden, so you get the idea :) That's why I wouldn't recommend it to Maiden fans in the first place.

Come back and tell how did you like Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding after you'll give them a listen! They are in my favourite albums zone. Once you listen and like them, they stay with you. And Adrian is there :D

Come back and tell how did you like Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding after you'll give them a listen! They are in my favourite albums zone. Once you listen and like them, they stay with you. And Adrian is there :D
I'll be back with a full report! :p Well....not exactly that much but I'll at least say if I liked them or not.

I wouldn't overestimate Adrian Smith's importance with Bruce Dickinson. Don't get me wrong: I love his contributions very, very much (his solos in e.g. Man of Sorrows and King in Crimson are written in my personal hall of fame of solos). But also without him, Bruce has delivered some tremendous works, most often due to the gifted Roy Z, who really was the man in that band.

The best Bruce Dickinson tracks are not co-written by Adrian Smith, and these following songs belong to the very best and they don't even have our holiness playing on them:

- The Breeding House:
- No Way Out... To Be Continued:
- Tears of the Dragon
- Cyclops

- Back from the Edge

-Broken:
-Silver Wings:

- A Tyranny of Souls

Ok so I've listened to both Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding. Both were very good but I think I liked Chemical Wedding more. Can't really pin point why but maybe it just grabbed me more? Haven't decided on favorite songs yet off the albums either. Thats why I'll listen to them more! :)

Back