Weekend Warrior

How good is Weekend Warrior on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Weekend Warrior

Maybe you should take your love for it there eh?

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Albie said:
The subject matter deserves a massive 9 from me and I agree with Foro - it is done in an interesting way. But the song itself is just not up to it. It's just a bit too, well, predictable. However, I have spent time in the past listening to this track and really enjoying it so, 5/10.

Agree with Albie. I think looking at an individual hooligan is an interesting approach to the issue of football hooligansim (and remember, when Steve Harris was in his teens (the 70s), hooliganism was at its peak, and his own club (West Ham) had one of the more notorious hooligan firms around. I can clearly understand how Steve found it interesting to write a song about it.

However, the song isn't very special. The intro and solos are good (the solos are really good). I give it a 6.

Mega said:
Hey, we still have Virtual ahead of us, I see at least two 1's on the way ;)

Virtual 11, woah, I have not listened to that album in YEARS. literally, its been like I don't know 8 years or something  :lol: Will be fun to revisit some of the songs. But its not an album I think highly of, but maybe that will change.

Same as Chains Of Misery - nice rocker but not for Maiden standards. One nice detail is the acoustic guitar layer in chorus.

One of the worst of the album a little better than The Apparition but they're on the same league. 4/10.

maidenhead1996 said:
One of the worst of the album a little better than The Apparition but they're on the same league. 4/10.

Sorry man, you already gave a 5 (see previous page).

1. The only thing I can remember about this song is the god-Awful chorus. It's songs like these that make me wish there was a 0 button. I wish I could list positives on this song but there simply are none. The whole thing is just forgettable, and I'm glad it is.

I appreciate all your work but it's a pity that you did all these albums within a couple of hours without even playing (most of) these songs. This comment "the only thing I can remember about this song is" shows what I mean.

It's better to know what you're talking about when you are doing this. Why not play a song (unless you did it recently), give it a chance, and then come here and do your thing.

The Knife Master said:
I wish I could list positives on this song but there simply are none.

What a surprise if you don't remember the song well.  :)

Alright, I'll play the album again but I have played it quite a few times and I have found much of it very forgettable.
I listened to it again and my opinion still stands. But that harmony in between the solos is pretty cool.

Abomination. Lyrics are :censored:. Don't get me even started on the chorus. It's not as big joke as The Apparition, so I'm giving it a 2/10.

Bruce sounds horrible on the chorus. The whole song is an abomination, sounds like Maiden on autopilot. 1/10.

Mosh said:
But that harmony in between the solos is pretty cool.
:ok: That's my favorite part of the song. The solos are good. I'm going to be nice once again because I kinda like the originality of this song, but the whole topic of the song is  :(. A low 7.

I think people here dislike the song because they make a strange paralel between the song and football. But this song uses hooliganism as key approach to a bigger subject: identity. Or if you prefer: teeneagers identity.

The guy described in this song is a teenager who has a desperate need for an identity. In my country, kids who belogs to "barras bravas" are seeing with certain amount of respect and fear by their peers (except to those who belong to a different "barra"... because the former "is the enemy"). Anyway, the person who looks at this "hooligan kid" is an adult. For me is one of his teachers at school. I'm a teacher too, and everytime some of my students started to tell the story of last weekend game, it always remembered me this song.

It seems that this teachers knows him since he was a boy and saw this "evolution". Anyway, he realizes that he's in a group he doesn't want to be and cannot go away (You've gotta get out gotta get away//But you're in with a clique it's not easy to stray//You've gotta admit you're just living a lie//It didn't take long to work out why) ... but they are pretty cool, and being associted to them makes you cool to (It's hard to say why you got involved//Just wanting to be part//just wanting to belong...). He's concious of what he has done, and he knows those have been bad things, but ath the end, isn't it a childs game? (Some of the things that you've done//you feel so ashamed//After all it's only a game... isn't it?) It is interesting because kids, especially those with familiar and or social problems, consider those actions as "kid's games". Anyway, this guy knows that he cannot "keep his lie" too long, since on Monday he needs to behave differently (
You're a weekend warrior when//you're one of the crowd//But it's over, just look at you now...).

What is even more interesting is the fact that these people doesn't like football at all. During all the match they are more concerned of what they will do with th fans from the other team, or how they are going to challenge the police officers or guards in charge of the security. You can ask them about the players that were playing in that match and they rarely name 3 or 4 of them. As we say in my country they are "Hinchas de la barra y no del equipo" (fans of the fan's club and not the team itself). I'v tried it a lot of times with mys students and the one that named more players couldn't raise its number over 7.

I think people here dislike the song because they make a strange paralel between the song and football.

I dislike the song because it displays Bruce at his very worst and overall the song feels unfinished. Which is a shame, because the intro and solo are wasted that way. But your post is an interesting read, and I think your analysis of the song's meaning is spot-on.

Meh, it's definitely a step down for the band. The acoustic layers throughout are a nice touch though. 6/10

Back