Quest For Fire

How good is Quest For Fire on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Great solos, great bass line. But other things are not that good. Worst song on the album by far.

4/10

This song isn't as bad as everybody seems to make it to be. The lyrics are cheesy, but they are not Maiden's worst. The music during the verses seems a bit tacky, but come on, this is a song about cavemen running around somewhere in prehistory. The instrumental section on the other hand is among the most dramatic Maiden have ever done, and that alone makes it in fact a particularly memorable piece.
That, and the way Bruce sings the land was swamp and caves were HOME! I'm still thinking Nicko sneaked in from behind and pinched his balls at that particular moment. Puts a smile on my face every time, anyway.
6/10.

Perun said:
... the way Bruce sings the land was swamp and caves were HOME! I'm still thinking Nicko sneaked in from behind and pinched his balls at that particular moment.

:lol:

Added you in the individual album judgement topic!

Cheers, I'm currently working out my ranking to date.

5 out of 10... This is as low as you will see me rank a Maiden tune because hey, it's Iron fucking Maiden... Nevertheless, this is one of my least favorites, and I've hardly ever listened to it in it's entirety... it's that bad... "Nuff said...

I really don't like this song at all. Even for a Maiden song. I don't like anything about it. Sorry. 1/10

I never liked this song. I always regarded it as one of the worst Iron Maiden songs. After relistening, I now think that it's not so bad, but the lyrics are laughable. 5/10.

Lyrics are just... uugh. I cringe during the "in time when dinosaurs walked the earth". The actual song isn't very interesting too. The bass line is the only reason why I'll give it 6 instead of 5.

Lyrics suck. Actually, after the first two lines of singing i want to turn it off, annoying stuff. Regarding vocal melodies, the chorus is far the best moment, and it's merely average. Once instrumental section kicks in it pulls it up, but only to a grade of 5.

Ive given it a 7 i think it gets a bad press in here, great music and chorus maybe its the first line that puts people off.

i give 4... a novelty gag but not a song youd play to convert someone into fandom... i can deal with it but in realism cant get past the awful theme

6/10

Lyrics are famously weak, the chorus is cheesy, but this is nowhere near as bad as it's often made out to be. The instrumental sections are well planned and played. I had no idea this song was so hated until I looked on here. My guess with the opening line is that maybe Maiden hadn't fully made up their minds to write serious historical songs, and felt they could get away with the questionable level of accuracy that we'd expect from many other bands. 'Flight of Icarus' has lyrics that are wrong in a similar way.

czgibson said:
'Flight of Icarus' has lyrics that are wrong in a similar way.

Interesting comment! Still, Icarus is a mythological figure and humans and dinosaurs and beasts are not.

Back