SAXON SURVIVOR 2012 RESULTS: Lionheart triumphant

Satisfied with the results

• Total voters
I had not understood it like that. Probably I thought top 10 because it's really new to decide the no. 10 spot before we've reached the top 10. The top 10 has always been something sacred in all these survivors. Never happened, and imo it's illogical. Looking at the votes it wouldn't have been 1+1=2 that Thin Line would have been no. 10.
  1. Dallas 1 PM
  2. Power and the Glory
  3. The Eagle Has Landed

I looked at it as both songs were eliminated (3/5 voters), it was just a matter of deciding which was 10.
Sorry if I went off protocol. I've run other games, but this is my first time running a survivor. :)

And I hope Nat and/or Prowler vote in such a way we get a clean number nine. These top 10s can get messy.
PS: It's probably no coincidence that the moment I finally cast a vote for P&G is the moment it appears ready to go home.

Foro, I thought Metalhead was by far your lowest ranked song.
I can see your other two votes as strategic, but why Eagle?

Strategic. :)
Don't tell anyone but Natalie might vote for that one as well, and perhaps Night Prowler.

I think Eagle is the most unique and atmospheric of Saxon's great songs.

I admit it wasn't purely a tactical vote.

The song is indeed unique and very atmospheric, I give you that. And great singing. But the power and melodies from later work (discovered this year) shoved it more to the background, I am afraid. I'd be satisfied if it would end up in the bottom half of this top 10.

Coming back to this:
I did a huge Saxon poll of 67 songs with a friend of mine. I played him this list, over the course of 8 different evenings. Soon he will come up with his favourite 10 and eventually his alltime favourite Saxon song.

Place your bets! ;-)

01 Rainbow Theme / Frozen Rainbow
02 Militia Guard
03 747 (Strangers in the Night)
04 Wheels of Steel
05 Heavy Metal Thunder
06 To Hell and Back Again
07 Strong Arm of the Law
08 Dallas 1 PM
09 Princess of the Night
10 And the Bands Played On
11 Power and the Glory
12 Warrior
13 Nightmare
14 Midas Touch
15 The Eagle Has Landed
16 Crusader
17 Sailing to America
18 Rocking Again
19 Call of the Wild
20 Broken Heroes
21 Rock the Nations
22 Battle Cry
23 Song for Emma
24 S.O.S.
25 Ride Like the Wind
26 Red Alert
27 I Just Can't Get Enough
28 Overture in B-Minor / Refugee
29 I’m on Fire
30 Baptism of Fire
31 Solid Ball of Rock
32 Lights in The Sky
33 Forever Free
34 Hole in the Sky
35 One Step Away
36 Nighthunter
37 Yesterday’s Gone
38 Hold On
39 The Great White Buffalo
40 Give it All Away
41 Dogs of War
42 Absent Friends
43 Bloodletter
44 Unleash the Beast
45 Ministry of Fools
46 The Thin Red Line
47 Cut Out the Disease
48 Circle of Light
49 Conquistador
50 Metalhead
51 Sea of Life
52 Deeds of Glory
53 Shadows on the Wall
54 Dragon's Lair
55 Killing Ground
56 Lionheart
57 Witchfinder General
58 State of Grace
59 Red Star Falling
60 Battalions of Steel
61 Demon Sweeney Todd
62 No Rest for the Wicked
63 Surviving Against the Odds
64 Call to Arms
65 Ballad of the Working Man
66 Hammer of the Gods
67 Mists of Avalon

The following songs turned out as "the best of the rest", in other words, the songs that just did not make the top 10, in chronological order. You can see these as of the same level. Another day one of them could easily have been in the top 10.

Position 11-17:
Heavy Metal Thunder
Call Of The Wild
Solid Ball Of Rock
Conquistador
Circle of Light
Sea of Life
No Rest For The Wicked

And now here is the top 10:

10. Dogs of War
09. Ride Like The Wind
08. And The Bands Played On
07. Surviving Against The Odds
06. Dallas 1PM
05. Ministry Of Fools
04. Hammer Of The Gods
03. Demon Sweeney Todd
02. Bloodletter

01. Lionheart

What happens if I vote for Power & The Glory, but not for Dallas? :) If it would mess things up, I won't do it, but if I can save Dallas, then I will :)

What happens if I vote for Power & The Glory, but not for Dallas? :) If it would mess things up, I won't do it, but if I can save Dallas, then I will :)
The song that had the most votes against earlier in the playoffs would be out.
If they had the same, we'd have a tiebreaker vote.

To clarify further NP, if you vote P&G, but not Dallas, P&G will be eliminated.
P&G had way more votes against it.

Coming back to this:

The following songs turned out as "the best of the rest", in other words, the songs that just did not make the top 10, in chronological order. You can see these as of the same level. Another day one of them could easily have been in the top 10.

Position 11-17:
Heavy Metal Thunder
Call Of The Wild
Solid Ball Of Rock
Conquistador
Circle of Light
Sea of Life
No Rest For The Wicked

And now here is the top 10:

10. Dogs of War
09. Ride Like The Wind
08. And The Bands Played On
07. Surviving Against The Odds
06. Dallas 1PM
05. Ministry Of Fools
04. Hammer Of The Gods
03. Demon Sweeney Todd
02. Bloodletter

01. Lionheart

Interesting. Glad to see Thunder and Solid Ball there. Didn't get enough love in our poll.
You must have loved the Bloodletter placing.
And he didn't think Crusader was elite material either.
No Rest For the Wicked is the interesting pick. Pretty good song that got neglected on a pretty strong album.
But the list is a farce because you never did give him a chance to experience Terminal Velocity ;)

I wouldn't put Bloodletter on #2 but it definitely deserves to be in top ten, much more than Thin Red Line.

Interesting. Glad to see Thunder and Solid Ball there. Didn't get enough love in our poll.
You must have loved the Bloodletter placing.
Indeed, but note that he likes Demon Sweeney Todd about as much. Remember our discussion about these two?
A confession: now I've heard it more often, that track has started to grow on me. Great riffs, solos and chorus.
And he didn't think Crusader was elite material either.
No Rest For the Wicked is the interesting pick. Pretty good song that got neglected on a pretty strong album.
He also has Surviving Against the Odds in the top 10! He told me that he's especially into faster songs, instead of slower ones. Probably why Thin Line didn't make it.
But the list is a farce because you never did give him a chance to experience Terminal Velocity ;)
I could play him that song next time I see him. ;-)
I wouldn't put Bloodletter on #2 but it definitely deserves to be in top ten, much more than Thin Red Line.
Hmm, not sure which one I prefer but Thin Line has one of the best choruses they did and I like the atmosphere and topic a lot.

Another close round sees Power and the Glory slide into slot number nine
9. Power and the Glory
10. The Thin Red Line

Please vote for a maximum of three songs.

Goodbye to Power and the Glory
Very intense, cool lyric, great chorus, nice solo and the rhythm section absolutely cooks.
It's got pathos that many uptempo songs of its ilk do not.
One of the band's iconic songs IMO, but back end on the top 10 is good slot.

It's interesting that so many 90's and 00's songs made it this far - Saxon mostly ignores that material in their setlists.

Another tight round sees Dallas 1 PM lose to Metalhead in a very close tiebreaker
8. Dallas 1 P.M.
9. Power and the Glory
10. The Thin Red Line

Please vote for a maximum of three songs.

I believe Dallas 1 P.M. was the very first song I heard from Saxon.
I know I bought the album unheard back in high school for the best of reasons: good magazine buzz and a cool cover :p.
On my North American vinyl it is the opening track, and that great layered buildup hooked me right away. Crunching rhythm guitars, and what sounds like a phase effect on Biff's voice create some great tension and I've always loved the way it suddenly cuts to the newscaster who creeps across the headphones, launching us in a very emotional solo. Very simple, yet very effective — a great song.

Back