SAXON SURVIVOR 2012 RESULTS: Lionheart triumphant

Satisfied with the results

• Total voters
Circle of Light
Well-written and well-played (and well-described by Foro), but lacking in that special something - the grandeur, the scope, the sheer epicness of its opponent.

The Eagle Has Landed loses the tiebreaker and lands in slot number five.
5. The Eagle Has Landed
6. Metalhead
7. Dogs of War
8. Dallas 1 P.M.
9. Power and the Glory
10. The Thin Red Line

A maximum of TWO votes now please

After a tiebreaker, the Beast is Unleashed in fourth place.
4. Gothic Dreams/Unleash the Beast
5. The Eagle Has Landed
6. Metalhead
7. Dogs of War
8. Dallas 1 P.M.
9. Power and the Glory
10. The Thin Red Line

Just ONE vote only now please

The Circle of Light walks into third place.
3. Circle of Light
4. Gothic Dreams/Unleash the Beast
5. The Eagle Has Landed
6. Metalhead
7. Dogs of War
8. Dallas 1 P.M.
9. Power and the Glory
10. The Thin Red Line

Just ONE vote only now please

Sea of Life (review quoted from elsewhere on the site)
Buried behind a run of mediocre tracks on its album, I never gave a proper hearing until this year’s Saxon Survivor. Huge and majestic, powered by an irresistible signature lick, this track combines the best qualities of two of Saxon’s best ‘80s songs: the sludgy power of The Eagle Has Landed and the melancholy melody of Broken Heroes. The first solo is heart-wrenching mix of perfectly held notes and cascading runs. Byford sings like a grizzled veteran, a wise man who has seen the wars and survived. The extended ending might be too much for some, but I can’t get enough of that lick.

For all that, this song will still get my vote.
It's close, but Lionheart is just a touch better — or, perhaps, it is just better encapsulates Saxon.
Atmospheric opening, nice riffs, epic chorus, good mix of tempos — everything the band does well is here.
Not my favourite Saxon song, but a very deserving winner.

The best guitar solo by Saxon is on Cut Out the Disease.
The next best two are on Sea of Life (first solo) and on Lionheart, incidentally the last two songs left in this survivor.

Lionheart is Saxon's best song, because -apart from that stunning solo- all parts are great. Next to the solo, I think I like the couplets the most. These couplets have an intriguing mix of dynamics (great drums by Jörg Michael, probably the fastest and tighest drummer ever on a Saxon record; I don't think any of the other drummers could have played this or Witchfinder General so solidly), melody and atmosphere, enriched by acoustic guitars. Not to mention all these tempo and rhythm changes. Excellent. Hats off for this brilliant track!

I said it earlier — we had seven people voting on this survivor, but only three voted regularly.
Might have been a very different top 10, and that song is a good example.

The reason why I have not voted all the time is that I'm not too familiar with their post 80's catalogue. I still don't have each and every Saxon album. Thus it wouldn't have been fair to vote out songs which I don't know, would it?

Back