SAXON SURVIVOR 2012 RESULTS: Lionheart triumphant

Satisfied with the results

• Total voters

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
Welcome to 2012 Saxon Survivor.

Rules will be based on Unknown One's Bruce Dickinson thread:
- 2 songs per album get promoted to the playoffs.
- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- Suzi Hold On will be the original British Wheels of Steel version, not the American version on Power and the Glory. Beyond that, it will be no frills, like the band at its best — just the basic studio album tracks.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary (probably 1-5), depending on ties etc.
- Rounds will be 2 days long

There seemed to be decent interest in this when we originally pitched it, so join in and bring your friends!:D

Had to give these two a re-listen.
The debut had no direction whatsoever and a flat sound. They were attempting a bunch of different things and clearly trying to find an identity.
They got that identity on Wheels — fast with all kinds of fat power chords. The great energy, especially for that time, forged their reputation.
But there sure wasn't a lot of variation going on.

This is a good guide: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/saxon.17765/ (certainly for myself ;-)
But naturally we should replay stuff as well. I just did that.

I like the debut more than the second. Wheels of Steel is quite a monotone album. Most songs have one main riff repeated very often. The vocal lines are often centered around the same tone. This is less the case with the debut. Still: Wheels of Steel features one of the best songs from the first three albums, if not the best: 747 (Strangers in the Night). A very melodic song which is an enormous contrast with the rest of the album.

From the debut my vote goes to Backs to the Wall & Still Fit to Boogie. The rest I find better than all songs off Wheels, apart from 747 (Strangers in the Night) of course! So I am also voting for the whole Wheels of Steel album (bar Strangers). The melodies are too sparse really, and there's hardly anything (exciting) going on.

Hmm, looks like this one is going to struggle to get going.
I checked back on the Tracker thread and Natalie, Night Prowler and maybe Crimson Idol showed interest.
We'll do few more rounds and see what happens. Any lurkers out there with only lukewarm interest or knowledge, give it a shot. Might be good way to get to know the band better.
Foro, you might need to pick a second favourite from Wheels next round.

Foro, you might need to pick a second favourite from Wheels next round.

Alright. Probably the title track, but I'm not sure if I don't vote for it yet, because we're still having the concurrence aspect with songs from the debut.

Alright. Probably the title track, but I'm not sure if I don't vote for it yet, because we're still having the concurrence aspect with songs from the debut.
Yes, but two songs from the album are supposed to get promoted no matter what.

Yes, but two songs from the album are supposed to get promoted no matter what.

"No matter what" is for me little different than for you I assume. E.g., I just saw that Night Prowler voted for one of my favourite songs, and I am willing to protect it if I can, even if this only lasts one extra round.

I can still try to do more:
@Vap and mckindog: do you guys prefer Militia guard (tremendous epic song with some great changes, and superb vocal harmonies, though I admit I like the last minute less) over Stallions on the Highway and are you willing to try and promote it?

"No matter what" is for me little different than for you I assume. E.g., I just saw that Night Prowler voted for one of my favourite songs, and I am willing to protect it if I can, even if this only lasts one extra round.
Gotcha. Won't matter anyway now that we have at least four.
I can still try to do more:
@Vap and mckindog: do you guys prefer Militia guard (tremendous epic song with some great changes, and superb vocal harmonies, though I admit I like the last minute less) over Stallions on the Highway and are you willing to try and promote it?
Militia Guard is the best song on the album, far better than Stallions. Stallions is better live, but even then it's not as good as the Rainbows, which are so much like Sad Wings-era Priest.

Nice comparison! Looks like we can save only one Rainbow. ;-)
I am also curious how Vap will influence all this.

Btw. it's Suzie ;)

Your right! It's Suzi on the North American version, which I know better and I think slightly prefer.
It's amazing how different the song sounds with exactly the same arrangement and only minor changes in performance.

Your right!
youre-thumb.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist :p
Anyway, my two favs from the debut are Frozen Rainbow and Stallions. 747 is definitely the best song on Wheels Of Steel, followed by title track and Motorcycle Man.

These are my favorite songs from these albums (those with + sings mean that they're the songs I want to get promoted):

+ Frozen Rainbow
Stallions Of The Highway
+ Militia Guard

+ 747 (Strangers In The Night)
Wheels Of Steel
+ See The Light Shining
Suzie Hold On

The rest I don't care for.

Huh? He did not vote. Careful, he mentioned his favs and some of them he'd like to see promoted.

edit: well, I can imagine that you can translate this into his vote (the other tracks), so see my post as "just in case". ;)

Rules will be based on Unknown One's Bruce Dickinson thread:
- 2 songs per album get promoted to the playoffs.
- 10 songs that survive until the end of the album rounds also get promoted to the playoffs.
- Until we get to the final 10 songs you can vote for as many songs as you want.
- Once we reach the top 10, votes get limited to 3 votes. Top 5 means 2 votes only and Top 3 means just the 1 vote. If you vote for more songs at these stages, I just won't count your votes.
- Just the basic studio album tracks.
- I'll eliminate as many songs as I deem necessary to keep the game fair and moving quickly.
- Rounds will be two days long.

Eliminated last round: Rainbow Theme, Big Teaser, Judgement Day, Backs to the Wall, Still Fit to Boogie, Motorcycle Man, Stand Up and Be Counted, Freeway Mad, Street Fighting Gang, Machine Gun

First Saxon album I ever bought and it got a lot of play way back Grade 9.
It's got an easy number one, but after that I'm going to have to put some thought into this.

Back