Your top 5 metal songs

I was loving that song way before I knew what a cowbell was.  :lol:

I feel I have to add Halloween by Helloween to the list too. It is at least tied with the others in the top 5. I have been playing that song on Halloween since 1987 without missing a year. Off of my original CD none the less.

Deano did you read my post? (I don't understand the cowbell thing, so just in case)

Greets, Forostar

I could quite easily list five maiden songs here but what is more difficult is to list five non Maiden songs that rank as my favourites. Oh well here we go

1: Guns n Roses - Welcome to the Jungle - love the intro
2: Motorhead - Ace of Spades - Lemmy is God (er no H is God, lemmy is St Peter)
3: Metallica - Battery
4: Anthrax - Antisocial
5: Metallica - One

Deano did you read my post? (I don't understand the cowbell thing, so just in case)

Greets, Forostar

I just reread it Forostar and you are absolutely right. Astronomy is a brilliant song and definitely one of their best. DFTR just holds a special place for me as a great song that came around at a perfect time in my life. I love the story it tells, the music, the abrupt change into the solo and the fading galloping drumbeats at the end. The title is perfect as well and I hope I am listening to this song on my deathbed.

BOC is just a great band period and probably does not receive the respect they deserve. As far as the cowbell.... that's in reference to a skit done on Saturday Night Live (circa 2000) that stars Christopher Walken, Will Farrell, Haratio Sans, Jimmy Fallon and Chris Kattan. It is a very funny skit that revolves around the recording of that song by legendary rock producer Bruce Dickenson  :) , played by Christopher Walken. Apparently it is a classic worldwide. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Definitely one of the funniest things they've done on that show.

If I was on a computer that I could get a link to it for you now I would provide it but sadly, I am not.

EDIT: Metallica's version of Astronomy isn't bad either but does not come close to touching the original.

Here are my top five metal songs in no particular order:

Iron Maiden - Revelations
Blind Guardian - The Bard's Song (In the Forest)
Ensiferum - Into Battle
Mastodon - Seabeast
In Flames - Moonshield

Eddies Wingman said:
- Paschendale
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- Then we put some Metallica in here. Ummm... a lot to choose from. I say Creeping Death.
-  Deep Purple - Child in Time. The lyrics, the Hammond melodies, the guitar solo and Ian Gillan's singing. Fantastic. A real classic.
- Hmmm, let's see. Can I include a song that is not strictly metal, but more straight hard rock? Well, I'll do it, here we go. AC/DC - Hell's Bells. The intro riff is the very first thing I learnt on guitar  :)

I qoute myself here, to tell you that even though I love Hell's Bells, it has to go. I replace it with Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death. The atmosphere of the song is brilliant, the guitar solo is excellent and the lyrics are deep. And it is performed by one of the world's greatest bands. What more can you wish for?

Five months later, I just noticed this...

Deano said:
BOC is just a great band period and probably does not receive the respect they deserve.

You got that right!

The first 3 BOC albums are freaking brilliant, and the rest aren't bad either. I'm a fan of the first 3 because I picked up a 3-CD set of those in the early 90s and played them a great deal.

Check out "Baby Ice Dog" from 1973's Tyranny And Mutation. Now that's a wicked song...
"I had this bitch, you see / She made lies to me"
Greatest. Opening. Lyric. Ever.

I had a look at my old list and couldn't find much to agree with, so it's time for an update.

Bruce Dickinson - "Strange Death in Paradise"
A perfect example of the combination of heaviness and hypnotic calmness that makes Skunkworks Bruce's best album.

Iron Maiden - "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns"
Wonderfully heavy and progressive at the same time, Bruce's second song about the atom bomb has become my favourite Maiden song lately.

Corrosion of Conformity - "Goodbye Windows"
The Wiseblood album is a masterpiece in every sense of the word, and this piece displays its fusion of thrashy heaviness and doomy moodiness brilliantly.

Atheist - "Mother Man"
Probably the most perfectly crafted death metal song ever, "Mother Man" is four and a half minutes of craziness that draws me in every time I hear it.

... was this supposed to be top five? You'll have to fill in the blank I'm afraid.

Shadow said:
Atheist - "Mother Man"
Probably the most perfectly crafted death metal song ever, "Mother Man" is four and a half minutes of craziness that draws me in every time I hear it.

... was this supposed to be top five? You'll have to fill in the blank I'm afraid.

Not "Unquestionable Presence??"  Though "Mother Man" is sick too, and I don't even like technical death metal.

My top 5 I've been listening to recently:

"And Then There Was Silence..." - Blind Guardian
Epic.  Just epic.

"Somewhere Out in Space" - Gamma Ray
Some great riffs in here, with an awesome beat and great guitar solos.

"Journey Through the Dark" - Blind Guardian
Crazy, energetic, manic.  This song is just fun to listen to.

"Terror Train" - Demons & Wizards
Like "Journey Through the Dark", but crazier, faster, heavier, and able to be played louder.  It's become the official anthem of most of the things I do.

"Voices" - Dream Theater
All of a sudden, I love Awake, and especially this song's melancholy feel.

GuineaPig said:
Not "Unquestionable Presence??"  Though "Mother Man" is sick too, and I don't even like technical death metal.

You could make a case for any song off the Unquestionable Presence album, but "Mother Man" is the one that sticks with me the most. The guitar parts at the end are nothing short of astounding.

Iron Maiden-Powerslave :bigsmile:
Iron Maiden-To Tame A Land
Megadeth-Tornado Of Souls :lol:
Metallica-The Four Horseman
Trivium- A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation!!!! :yey:

Anomica said:
As a good way to get some hints of good music I may have missed, I'd like for you to post your top-5 metal songs, all bands/categories. When I first got into metal in the (very) early 80s, there was only 2 categories of metal in Sweden - hard rock (as in Zeppelin) and heavy metal (Maiden, Priest etc). Today there seem to be almost as many categories as there are bands which I find really confusing at times :huh: So, I really don't care what the category is, just give me your top 5 metal/hard rock/whatever songs. I'll start myself.

1. Rime of the ancient mariner - Iron Maiden.
In my book, this is the ultimate metal song with deep, thought provoking lyrics performed with emotion and skills, great riffs and solos to die for. Absolutely brilliant.
2. Sign of the Southern Cross - Black Sabbath.
One of the best songs I've ever heard Dio sing. Beautiful, heavy and emotional all at the same time.
3. Before the dawn - Judas Priest.
This must be the best metal ballad ever*. Rob Halford prooves that he's got a set of pipes on him, to say the least...
4. Child in time - Deep Purple.
What can I say? Gillan had a set of pipes too :D
5. Fast as a shark - Accept.
I know, this isn't a heavy metal classic in terms of musicianship, writing, lyrics or anything. But it's a straight-forward rocker that always puts a smile on my face.

Bubbling under the line are a number of songs/bands that definitely could push their way in on a good day, Judas Priest from the start until the mid-80s have some really brilliant songs; Maiden's collective works deserve more spots on a list than any band I can think of; Metallica had a number of great songs in their early days; AC/DC; Rainbow; Lizzy...aarrgh, the list could be endless. Give me your minds ;)

*A contender to the title "best metal ballad" is a song by Motörhead: Don't let daddy kiss me. Has anyone heard this song? It's lyrics make the skin crawl and I feel really sad when I hear it? Maybe because I have a 3-year old daughter at home? *shivers*

Definitely agree with the first four. The last, I would say, is either "She-Wolf" or "Kick the Chair" by Megadeth. <3

1. Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy name
2. Metallica- Fade to Black
3. Black Sabbath - War Pigs
4. Metallica - One
5. Iron Maiden - Flash of the Blade

Iron Maiden - Infinite Dreams
Black Sabbath - Under The Sun
Rush - Anthem
Metallica - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Alice In Chains - Them Bones

This is what I feel about it, now. It's just too many classics to shorten into only 5 for the whole life.

1. Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
3. Judas Priest - Beyond The Realms Of Death
4. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
5. Dio - The Last In Line

An old thread, but I'm a noob to the forum so I wanted to weigh in on a classic metal question:

5) Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
4) Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
3) Holy Diver (Dio)
2) Fade to Black (Metallica)
1) Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Iron Maiden)

Iron Maiden is absolutely by far my favorite band :)

Back