Your top 5 metal songs

Powerslave-Iron Maiden
The solos are just incredible.

Ram it Down-Judas Priest
So true. 

Queen of the Reich-Queensryche
A song of this quality on a bands first ep is simply amazing

Under the Moon-Edguy
Tobias Sammet is one of the coolest singers ever.

For the Greater Good of God-Iron Maiden
Its lyrics are excellent, the music is superb and I have seen it live to top it all off.

No particular order:

Judas Priest - Painkiller - initially, I hated that noise - but after some years listening to Iron Maiden, I finally realized that there are other good bands and songs, for example the Painkiller.

Metallica - Master of Puppets - maybe overrated, but for me it is the best Metallica's song I've heard till now (I do not know their complete repertoire yet :)

Ramones - Pet Sematary - hehe, do not laugh, please, it is not a metal I think, but I think it fits to this list, I like Stephen King's books and this song is related to one of those.

Deep Purple - Child in Time - amazing. (is this a metal balad?)

Prazsky Vyber - Prazakum je hej - hehe, I know you do not know what's that :) It is a czech band, not a metal, more to a rock/art rock/with jazz elements/whatever. But I think, it should be listed here. Comes from an album 'Straka v hrsti', which was recorded in 1982, but came to shops some six years later, because Prazsky Vyber was banned by communists in the former Czechoslovakia. It was our underground of those days, the record was copied secretly on tapes and it is the album of my childhood, it probably formed my musical tastes in a direction which ended up in the metal genre.

Well - I'm quite new to the metal and I am still discovering and digging, so this is not the final version :) I have omitted Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson/Blaze Bayley, because I could build the top 5 only from these easily (Sign of the Cross, For the Greater Good of God, Paschendale..., The Tenth Dimension, Stare at the Sun..., Cyclops, darn, the whole Chemical Wedding could be here :) But I believe this topic should direct to another material :) But on the other hand, I have not mentioned anything special (with an exception of Prazsky Vyber of course). Well...

1) Iron Maiden- Fear of the Dark. Great song, love it, but there are tons of other Iron Maiden songs that could go  here instead (Infinite Dreams, Blood Brothers, Number of the Beast, The Claivoyant, The Clansman...)

2) Judas Priest- Ram it Down. This song really gets my 'blood pumping' as Anomica put it. A real rocker, nothing deep about it, but its still fantastic and makes me want to shout at the top of my lungs: thousands of cars and a million guitars! Other Judas Priest songs that I really like are Painkiller, Lochness, Angel of Retribution, and Electric Eye.

3) Savatage- Hall of the Mountain King. This is epic. Dark. And it displays great musicianship. I really recommend Savatage as a band in general and some other songs I like from them are: Believe, One Child, Follow Me, Edge of Thorns, When the Crowds are Gone and Gutter Ballet.

4) Metallica- Nothing Else Matters. Its early Metallica, what else can I say? Master of Puppets and Fade to Black are also great songs imo.

5) Bruce Dickinson- Jerusalem. And anything else off The Chemical Wedding. And Tyranny of Souls. And Accident of Birth. And... ;)

Honorable mention (bands that is): Black Sabbath (Cross of Thorns), ACDC, Led Zeppelin (Achilles Last Stand), Pink Floyd (need I say more?), Iced Earth, Apocalyptica, Blaze (Stare at the Sun, Tenth Dimension), DiAnno (Marshall Lockjaw),Dio, Hammerfall (The Dragon Lies Bleeding), Stratovarius (Eagleheart).

Natalie said:
2) Judas Priest- Ram it Down. This song really gets my 'blood pumping' as Anomica put it. A real rocker, nothing deep about it, but its still fantastic and makes me want to shout at the top of my lungs: thousands of cars and a million guitars! Other Judas Priest songs that I really like are Painkiller, Lochness, Angel of Retribution, and Electric Eye.

:huh: That song passed me by.  But Ram it Down is great.  Especially the solos. :D

Judas Rising, Eulogy, Lochness, and Angel of Retribution are all on the 2005 album Angel of Retribution which I like very much.

And yes, the solos on Ram it Down are memorable, especially (imo) the section from about 3:05 to 4:00.  :yes:

Natalie said:
Judas Rising, Eulogy, Lochness, and Angel of Retribution are all on the 2005 album Angel of Retribution which I like very much.

'Angel of Retribution' is the title of the album. There's no song called 'Angel of Retribution'.
However, there's a song, the ballad, which is called 'Angel'... ;)

Natalie said:
4) Metallica- Nothing Else Matters. Its early Metallica, what else can I say?
This is the first time I've ever seen anything from the Black Album referred to as "early" Metallica. It's from their 5th album, 8 years into their career. That is not early.

In my opinion, "early" Metallica is limited to the first three albums which Cliff Burton played on.

Cosmiceddie said:
'Angel of Retribution' is the title of the album. There's no song called 'Angel of Retribution'.
However, there's a song, the ballad, which is called 'Angel'... ;)

Funny, I always thought it had the name of the album. According to my iTunes it does, but not according to Wikipedia. So...I'll take your word for it Cosmiceddie, Angel it is.  :)

Natalie said:
And yes, the solos on Ram it Down are memorable, especially (imo) the section from about 3:05 to 4:00.  :yes:

Absolutely !

It sounds from "out of space" (or something like that Glenn Tipton himself said in the liner notes of the "Metal Works '73-'93"'s booklet)

The drums sound very fake though (computer) on this album.

Natalie said:
Funny, I always thought it had the name of the album. According to my iTunes it does, but not according to Wikipedia. So...I'll take your word for it Cosmiceddie, Angel it is.  :)

Who'd have thought there is a source that is even more unreliable than Wikipedia? :p

Try to explain to me how I could have meant Cosmiceddie...  :blink:

Hmm... If I wanted, there would be nothing but Maiden on this list.  But I'll try to be varied.

0. Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name: Hallowed Be Thy Name is the god (no pun intended).  It's untouchable.  Hence, it earns "0" place.  It  is my favourite Maiden song and IMO the best song ever written.  I don't care if it's "mainstream" or "popular" (I don't know if it is, but I would assume that it's quite popular among Maiden fans), it's still brilliant.

Then on to the actual list.  Hallowed Be Thy Name is not on the list, it's miles above it.  However, that might be a bit hard to show on a computer screen, and I don't want to face any lawsuits for strained scroll fingers  :innocent:

1. Iron Maiden - Quite A Lot Of Good Songs With Intelligent (or otherwise good) Lyrics.  I could insert Fortunes of War, the Aftermath, Paschendale, The Legacy, For the Greater Good of God, Brighter Than A Thousand Songs, Brave New World, 2 Minutes to Midnight, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Blood on the World's Hands, Look for the Truth, Judgement of Heaven, etc. etc. etc.  All of those I consider to be extremely good songs even without the lyrics.  However, a song can't reach number 1 on this list without also having intelligent lyrics, IMO.  Eg. many songs (Prowler, Bring Your Daughter, etc.) have pretty good tunes, but they lose out to a lot of songs because I find their lyrics or themes disturbing or otherwise inappropriate.

2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid - Yes, yes, I know, a popular song, but it's just amazing.  I don't know what it is with that song, but it just grabs me every time.  Hell, I don't even know the lyrics, but it still is amazing.

3. Iced Earth - The Gettysburg trilogy.  At the moment, I would have to say my favourite from them is Hold At All Costs.  Yes, the lyrics are slightly cheesy, but I still find these very good songs.

4. Guns 'N Roses - Civil War - A great song from a great band.  The lyrics are intelligent and thoughtful, which is an important factor with me.  Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child 'O Mine are perhaps better musically, but the lyrics raise Civil War over them.

5. Metallica - Quite a lot of early/mid stuff (up to the black album).  Hard to say, as I've only recently properly discovered early Metallica (before that I had a lot from Load  <_< and I didn't really appreciate them).  At the moment, it's gotta be One, Master of Puppets, The Unforgiven, Ride the Lightning, For Whom the Bell Tolls, or Seek and Destroy.

Honorable mentions:
Guns N Roses - Sweet Child 'O Mine, Welcome to the Jungle - Both great songs, some of my earliest experiences with hard rock/metal.
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water - Arguably the song that got me into metal and hard rock in the first place.  Not that much of a favorite nowadays, but it deserves a mention.
Iron Maiden - Aces High - The first Maiden song I ever heard.
Judas Priest - Another early song for me.  It's great, nothing more to say.
AC/DC - Thunderstruck - It would have been number 6 for me...  Though technically not metal.

With all the hits through the years, it's hard to nail down 5 but here goes.

1.  Iron Maiden...........Fear of the Dark (Live version)

2.  Krokus..................Screaming in the Night

3.  Judas Priest...........Devil's Child

4.  Dio.......................Rainbow in the Dark

5.  Megadeth..............Symphony of Destruction

After that it all falls apart and goes all Maiden :D

TrooperEd said:
With all the hits through the years, it's hard to nail down 5 but here goes.

5.  Megadeth..............Symphony of Destruction

After that it all falls apart and goes all Maiden :D

I never understood why metal fans vote this one so high.  The music is too simple to be a spectacular song.  The lyrics are great and so is Dave's singing, but the music is too close to trendy to be that important.  Oh well, different tastes...

Top 5 eh ? thats tough...

Iron Maiden - Hallowed be thy name
- well its my favourite Maiden song...its amazing what else is there to say ?

Metallica - Master of Puppets, so many great riffs in this one, I also love "One"
The first Metallica song I heard and got hooked on to heavy metal.

Megadeth - Holy Wars - Brutally fast riffing and some great solo work from Friedman.

Judas Priest - Painkiller...as some have already said Rob is amazing and this is one fast and furious

Honourable mention to Pantera - Cemetary Gates...which I really love, soft intros and really crunchy riffs with that trademark Dimebag squeal , a super song all round!

"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" Iron Maiden
"Living After Midnight" Judas Priest
"The Trooper" Iron Maiden
"Redemption" Shadows Fall
"Hell Bent for Leather" Judas Priest
:yey:

Back