Your Maiden blasphemy

I love AMOLAD and think it’s a fantastic album. That said, all three albums that came after are, to me, some of Maiden’s best work ever.

Final Frontier ->Book of Souls->Senjutsu
Rivals
Powerslave->Somewhere in Time->Seventh Son

Not sure which three album streak I prefer.

At this point I think this is going to be a blasphemy, but Lost in a Lost World to me is a WAY weaker version of The Red and the Black. The "heavy"* section is pure nothingness despite a good melody in the pre-chorus. The "chorus", which is shitty per se, has absolutely no reason to be there. The following riffing lead to nowhere.

What a way to waste such a good intro and outro.

I wonder why they put it on the album, really.

* I'm using this adjective only because it features distorted guitars. There's nothing heavy there at all.

Last edited:
differing P.O.V. on LIALW - those piledriving riffs and the seamless transitions best TRATB for me.

Steve may have taken notes from Tool/Maynard James Keenan - yet his melodicism is on a totally different level than Tool's often lackluster melodies.

Maybe The Red and the Black isn't the best parallel, now that I think about it. For the Greater Good of God works better. Which is not a compliment to Lost in a Lost World, of course.

I don’t know that I’d say it’s low quality. It’s not Mariner quality, but the Red and the Black is a song that absolutely rips dicks live. When I saw them play it live in front of my face in New York, I was really surprised how the long instrumental break works in a live setting. And Bruce sounds phenomenal on it. Red and the Black’s greatest sin is that it’s an epic on an album that already has Book of Souls and Empire of the Clouds.

Speaking of Steve: something I tend to forget until I see it and it “clicks” is how much he engineers his and the band’s songs to be played live. Sometimes that doesn’t translate on the album.

Also about The Red and the Black, I would have written the opening melody of the solo section in a slightly different way.

Instead of:

Code:
  93.          94.
e ||...------- || ---------------------- ||
B ||...------- || 12~-----12-13~--12---- ||
G ||...-12-14- || -----14------------12- ||
D ||...------- || ---------------------- ||
A ||...------- || ---------------------- ||
E ||...------- || ---------------------- ||

I'd do:

Code:
  93.          94.
B ||...------- || 12~--------13~--12---- ||
G ||...-12-14- || -----14-12---------12- ||

It applies to the lower octave of course:

Code:
  93.          94.
B ||...------- || ---------------------- ||
G ||...------- || 04~--------05~--04---- ||
D ||...-05-07- || -----07-05---------05- ||

The rest remains the same

Last edited:
Again, not sure if this is gonna be a blasphemy, but I love Satellite 15. I would have put it in the album as a separated track from The Final Frontier, tho.
Nah, S15 is a fantastic opening. Bruce sounds great and it’s like a little odd to Space Oddity. My only wish is that they recorded it as a band instead of taking it straight off of Adrian’s demo. That’s a Steve thing.

I don’t know that I’d say it’s low quality. It’s not Mariner quality, but the Red and the Black is a song that absolutely rips dicks live. When I saw them play it live in front of my face in New York, I was really surprised how the long instrumental break works in a live setting. And Bruce sounds phenomenal on it. Red and the Black’s greatest sin is that it’s an epic on an album that already has Book of Souls and Empire of the Clouds.
I agree. TRATB is one of Maiden's songs that is better live. I think the song still shines on an album with TBOS and EOTC.
My only wish is that they recorded it as a band instead of taking it straight off of Adrian’s demo.
Mine too. They also used Adrian's solo in DOFP from his demo.
I mean they should've split Satellite 15 and The Final Frontier. Track 1, Satellite 15; track 2, The Final Frontier; track 3, El Dorado; etc...
Come to think of it, maybe that would have been the better option because the intro is too long for one song. ''Satellite 15'' sounds great and is perfect for the mood of the album.
The guitars on Piece Of Mind sound like ass. It's like Dave and H were playing into a 5" transistor radio.
It's the other ''raw'' sounding album from the 80's besides the debut album. I like the production and it fits the album imo.

Also about The Red and the Black, I would have written the opening melody of the solo section in a slightly different way.

Instead of:

Code:
  93.          94.
B ||...------- || 12~-----12-13~--12---- ||
G ||...-12-14- || -----14------------12- ||

I'd do:

Code:
  93.          94.
B ||...------- || 12~--------13~--12---- ||
G ||...-12-14- || -----14-12---------12- ||

It applies to the lower octave of course:

Code:
  93.          94.
B ||...------- || ---------------------- ||
G ||...------- || 04~--------05~--04---- ||
D ||...-05-07- || -----07-05---------05- ||

The rest remains the same
You should send this to Steve. He is said to pay a visit to the official forum once in a while. No doubt he will ask your advice for his future epics.

The guitars on Piece Of Mind sound like ass. It's like Dave and H were playing into a 5" transistor radio.

What the fcuk happened?
Everything on that album kind of sounds muddy, but personally I don't hate the sound. Powerslave in comparison is way too harsh and the excessive midrange gets even more annoying there.

Back