Your Maiden blasphemy

Well, No Prayer For The Dying is a top five album for me, and Powerslave is bottom five.

I really think Brave New World is great, but it still has all the same problems as the nineties albums. A the added energy and fantastic playing and great vocals won't hide the fact the songs all go on far too long and are painfully repetitive.

A Matter Of Life And Death is probably the greatest Iron Maiden album, Fear Of The Dark has the worst vocals of ANY Maiden album or era (and for reasons aside from the vocals, is just the worst album in general). IM and Killers are better than Number Of The Beast, and The Final Frontier is all killer, no filler.

Well, No Prayer For The Dying is a top five album for me, and Powerslave is bottom five.

I really think Brave New World is great, but it still has all the same problems as the nineties albums. A the added energy and fantastic playing and great vocals won't hide the fact the songs all go on far too long and are painfully repetitive.

A Matter Of Life And Death is probably the greatest Iron Maiden album, Fear Of The Dark has the worst vocals of ANY Maiden album or era (and for reasons aside from the vocals, is just the worst album in general). IM and Killers are better than Number Of The Beast, and The Final Frontier is all killer, no filler.
I have to say this is one of the weirdest MaidenFans opinions I've seen.

No prayer is #1 album for me.
Number of the beast is snooze fest rescued by maybe two songs.
Dave at this point is less valuable to the band than Mr. Gers.
BNW sound so flat for me that I listen only to the live versions

Yep! This is definitely the blasphemy thread.

3 of those statements are blasphemous alright. The first one is not, I might not agree with the statement but there shouldn't be this idea that Maiden fans are supposed to dislike certain things.

I don't get why a lot of fans in this thread think that it's a blasphemy for them to say that they like something from Maiden.

3 of those statements are blasphemous alright. The first one is not, I might not agree with the statement but there shouldn't be this idea that Maiden fans are supposed to dislike certain things.

I don't get why a lot of fans in this thread think that it's a blasphemy for them to say that they like something from Maiden.
I always viewed blasphemy in the context of this thread to be a sort of tongue-in-cheek way of saying "opinions that go against popular consensus, especially here on Maidenfans but also for Iron Maiden fans in general" which disliking Powerslave most certainly is.

I mean, it shouldn't be, because half of that album is Quest for Fire/Sun and Steel tier b-side material at best, but oh well.

Last edited:

My comment was mainly pointed at the other statements - about TNOTB, Dave and BNW.

Every Maiden album is unique and I don't have a problem with different albums listed as favorites of a certain person - right the opposite... I'm happy when someone's favorite album is not the usual ones like TNOTB, POM, Powerslave or SSOASS - that's shows how strong is the band's discography.

In fact, I also like the NPFTD album - it's a lot underrated.// Maybe one of the reasons why his favorite album is NPFTD is because it was the first album by Maiden that he has heard - that's always a special moment :) Am I right, @Meliegree ?

My comment was mainly pointed at the other statements - about TNOTB, Dave and BNW.

Every Maiden album is unique and I don't have a problem with different albums listed as favorites of a certain person - right the opposite... I'm happy when someone's favorite album is not the usual ones like TNOTB, POM, Powerslave or SSOASS - that's shows how strong is the band's discography.

In fact, I also like the NPFTD album - it's a lot underrated.// Maybe one of the reasons why his favorite album is NPFTD is because it was the first album by Maiden that he has heard - that's always a special moment :) Am I right, @Meliegree ?

Actually, Piece of Mind is rarely mentioned as a favorite along the other three, Killers is mentioned more often. Piece of Mind is the most underrated Maiden album of the 80's.

I hate the Steve touch on the production.
I hate the drums sound since then tough Be quick or be dead(one of my favs maiden songs) and The fugitive are the exceptions.
I miss Martin Birch

Actually, Piece of Mind is rarely mentioned as a favorite along the other three, Killers is mentioned more often. Piece of Mind is the most underrated Maiden album of the 80's.
Yeah, I'd say that Piece of Mind is in almost everybody's top 5 or even top 3 but it's pretty rare to see it as the #1 album

I never liked the production since 1990
I don't Maiden has ever had truly great production. The 80s albums sound good, but not fantastic by any means and they all have what I'd call signature flaws, i.e. an annoying little detail or two that bring down the overall sound of the album like the drum sound on Powerslave and PoM (too harsh and too soft respectively) or the weird thinness in the guitar sound on SIT and SSOASS.

Meanwhile, the 90s albums amusingly all sound different varieties of bad, while the reunion era albums are just kind of muddy and lifeless, with the exception of AMOLAD which I genuinely think could almost be called a great sounding album. But even that is mostly accomplished by basically not producing it at all and just properly leveling what was recorded and calling it a day.

e: Important addition: this goes for studio albums only. Maiden has some of the best sounding live releases in the business, both in the general category of just sounding good and also in the subcategories of good production for the time and good deliberately poor production.

Last edited:
AMOLAD is by far the shittiest sounding Maiden album. It’s sounds really muddy, and Bruce is barely audible in places.

I don’t think this is blasphemy, though. Closer to common knowledge.

I do get that different people hear things differently, so I’m not surprised that some think AMOLAD sounds great.

Back