Your Maiden blasphemy

A lot of quality and precision was lost with Adrian leaving the band, not only live (Janick butchering H's masterpieces), but also in studio (production and songwriting).

In production or playing quality ? Because he didn't have an eye on the production side.

I think Janick brings more to the band than Dave does at this point.

Alright, here's the ultimate unpopular opinion: I like what Janick does with the Hallowed solo live.

I like how he keeps running over where the original solo ended, all the way up to that little riff, you know the one. I think it's a better connection to the following riff. And I think it's fully appropriate that a guy who's been playing that solo live longer than H gets to put his own stamp on it.

Sure, it threw me (to say the least) when I first saw Janick live. Yes, I hated his solo at first, for a few years in fact. But after seeing enough concerts and hearing enough boots, I get where he's going and what he's doing. His frenetic style is not to my taste entirely, but I hear his underlying musical thought, and it's a damn good one. It's an improvement to the song.

You read that right: I geniunely believe that Janick makes Hallowed better. Top that. :p
Top 10 Janick Gers Lead Guitar Parts:

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name (LIVE: Rock In Rio '01)

Janick's improvisation on HBTN is totally different to Adrian's original; also running the lead on quite a bit beyond where it ended on the album, with these lovely high descending runs. He's been having a bash at it for quite a while now, but I think on the RiR version he nails the timing to perfection. Dave's lead, then Janick's; add to this the quality of all the playing generally (& the mix) --the whole thing is immense!
:ok:

I think Janick brings more to the band than Dave does at this point.

From a songwriting standpoint, you're absolutely right. Davey is just coasting on his improv and legato ability, content to let everyone else do all the work. Sort of like Kirt Hammett, but he still has the ability to play solos perfectly. And let's be honest, with that cherubic face, how could he not be content with everything?

But his solos are slipping too. He still has some really good ones in the studio but they're seriously lacking live. Number of the Beast being the best example of that.

He can still work wonders with his slippery smoothness (most recently the title track on TFF) but Davey is clearly the member currently operating on cruise control.
Hope someone is kicking his ass in Paris right now.

I actually really like his solos and guitar tone on TFF. It's his best performance since the 80s maybe. TFF title track, Isle of Avalon, Coming Home..some of his best solos. I wonder how much time he put into those solos when his live playing is so half assed.

I actually really like his solos and guitar tone on TFF. It's his best performance since the 80s maybe. TFF title track, Isle of Avalon, Coming Home..some of his best solos. I wonder how much time he put into those solos when his live playing is so half assed.
I would say he chooses his shows. I was shoked by his "laziness" in Paris '11 and '13, but this year, at Hellfest, a much bigger show, he played all the solos integraly and perfectly. I suspect he doesn't train that much, though.

Most of the "filler" on Dance of Dance is pretty good, especially Age of Innocence.
Yes! DoD is a fantastic album all the way through and, what's more, it doesn't suffer from the "which song opening is this, Benjamin Bregg or Greater Good of God?" that AMOLAD suffers from. It's a much more diverse album.

Not sure if it's a popular or unpopular opinion, but I always thought the song "Brave New World" felt half-assed and unfinished. Repetitive, uninteresting chorus, and just an otherwise terribly bland song coming off a rather good album. I imagine it would be an unpopular opinion if you asked the band, since it somehow made it into a couple setlists. :huh:
I think most of the BNW album itself is weak, compared to what followed it. Wicker Man is good (if a bit repetitive), but GOTN irks me no end. Apart from WM, Dream of Mirrors, and TTLBLAH, it's not a solid album. Thin Line is fantastic though, and Dream of Mirrors is the moment that I fell back in love with Maiden (after being worried about what a "comeback" would sound like).

Funnily enough, I find Dream Of Mirrors and Thin Line to be the two worst songs on the album, with everything else being at least slightly above average.

Funnily enough, I find Dream Of Mirrors and Thin Line to be the two worst songs on the album, with everything else being at least slightly above average.
You sir are apparently my opposite number. I think Dream of Mirrors set the stage for the reunited Maiden's longer classic songs, testing the waters and succeeding. But I know I'm being unpopular here :nana:

I think most of the BNW album itself is weak, compared to what followed it. Wicker Man is good (if a bit repetitive), but GOTN irks me no end. Apart from WM, Dream of Mirrors, and TTLBLAH, it's not a solid album. Thin Line is fantastic though, and Dream of Mirrors is the moment that I fell back in love with Maiden (after being worried about what a "comeback" would sound like).

I love BNW. It's my favorite Maiden album. The only songs that I find half-assed are Nomad and Fallen Angel, though I still love Fallen Angel.

Dream of Mirrors is one of my absolute least favourite reunion tracks. I find it musically dull, and the introspective lyrics, which suit Blaze, don't sit well with Bruce imo. I think he is much more at home telling stories and using rich imagery, and any track where he's not doing that is a waste.

Nomad and GotN are headbangers-supreme.

Reactions: RTC
Back