Your Maiden blasphemy

I find it hard to rank the albums on a list, so I put them into tiers instead, where they can get promoted and demoted - the only constant is Powerslave at number 1.

Right now, it looks something like this:

Top tier: Powerslave, SSOASS, The X Factor, AMOLAD, The Book of Souls
Above average tier: Killers, Piece of Mind, Brave New World, Dance of Death
Average tier: Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, Somewhere in Time, Fear of the Dark
Below average tier: No Prayer for the Dying, Virtual XI, The Final Frontier

I'm sure some people will find it quite blasphemous :D
My "top tier" has 4 of the 5 you selected. I'd only change AMOLAD for Final Frontier. Otherwise we're twinsies!

I just realized I have a real blasphemy I haven't shared...I like the Dance of Death cover. I think all the complaints about it looking weird, broken, incomplete, and amateurish are absolutely true but they are the reasons I like it. With the weird clipping issues and proportions, it just looks surreal, almost like Dali was doing a painted version of an Eyes Wide Shut orgy party.

I like it too while recognizing its deadly flaws. I think the experimental nature of the album warranted an experimental cover, and while it's far from perfect, fits the album better than how the completed picture would have.

I like it too while recognizing its deadly flaws. I think the experimental nature of the album warranted an experimental cover, and while it's far from perfect, fits the album better than how the completed picture would have.

You seem to say that as if they completed cover would've ironed out all the strange-ness as an inevitable consequence of being well-executed. It needn't have lost the pallid skin tones and inhumanly long necks had the CG been cleaned up (or better still replaced with actual paint) - Imo it's a victim of an early-2000s obsession with CG, simply because it was new.

Again, no one is arguing that the cover is flawed. But it's the cover we got and for me at least, it works. I dig it. It's better than No Prayer For The Dying, the debut, and possibly Final Frontier.

What puzzles me about the DOD cover art is that little figure at the front - the one that's conspicuous for the amount of clothing it's got on. It seems to be wearing red tights and a knitted vest, plus it is not very tall ...

Anyone we know?

You seem to say that as if they completed cover would've ironed out all the strange-ness as an inevitable consequence of being well-executed.
Not really, I'm just saying it wouldn't have fit quite as well. I do think it's better as a stand-alone cover, though, than what we got, just not as representative of the album itself.

The period between discovery of Maiden and now.

And agreed with Ariana, I thought the artwork is cool but Eddie wasn't that much of a factor.

Back