Your First Maiden Gig ?

August 1, 1992. São Paulo - Brasil - Fear Of The Dark World Tour.

December 8, 2006. Dortmund Westfallenhalle.
My friends and I specially traveled to Germany for the gig. We are from Russia.  :ok:

The first maiden show i ever saw was back in October 1983 at Madison Square Garden. Quiet Riot was the opening act. It was an amazing show. It wasalso my first concert period so i was doubly excited.

1st time was in Gothenburg in -84, followed by Gothenburg -85, Gothenburg -05 and 2006 in...well, Gothenburg :D Is there a pattern here?  :uhm:

I don't have to travel very far to see Maiden, since they're almost always come to Sweden on their tours and usually play in both Stockholm and Gothenburg. It's only 150 kilometers in order to see them.

The 20-year gap is explained by my getting out of metal for a couple of years in my early 20s and listening more to blues and rock. When Dance of Death came out and my then 13-year old daughter got a thing for Maiden it all came back to me and since then, I'm back into the 80s metal again. I can't seem to find any "modern" bands that are very good, though. It's all Judas Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Rainbow, Deep Purple and those older bands that catches my attention. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor?

Anomica said "I'm back into the 80s metal again. I can't seem to find any "modern" bands that are very good, though. It's all Judas Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Rainbow, Deep Purple and those older bands that catches my attention. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor?"

I so agree with you on todays music.  Hell, i'd rather listen to Cinderella or Poison than todays music.  I heard so much about Mastadon.....whatever that is by far the worst band i've heard in a looonnngggg time.  I just don't get it, I must be getting old, because the metal bands of the 70's and 80's are superb. 

Seventh Son Tour-1988? Minneapolis... And I did catch the Iron Maidens last Saturday night here in Idaho. They are a fantastic bunch of girls, if you get the chance, dont pass it up! They even have an Eddie and a Satan roam the stage.

TrooperEd said:
I so agree with you on todays music.  Hell, i'd rather listen to Cinderella or Poison than todays music.  I heard so much about Mastadon.....whatever that is by far the worst band i've heard in a looonnngggg time.  I just don't get it, I must be getting old, because the metal bands of the 70's and 80's are superb. 

While I agree that there's been no recent band of the calibre of Iron Maiden or Judas Priest in the spotlight lately, it is pretty unfair to dismiss all contemporary music as crap.
Each band deserves at least one listen before you can make some sort of judgement about them. There are a lot of great heavy metal bands around currently that haven't made it big (yet). You shouldn't judge modern metal by commercial machines like Trivium or Mastodon; it's just not fair to the hard working artists who try to make fans from the scratch.

As usual, you're making a good point, Perun. The problem for me is that I can't seem to find a band that "does" it to me the way Maiden, Priest, Sabbath and the others did in the early-mid 80s. Of course it's partly because of age - it's harder to impress a 40-year old than a 15-year old (or at least me at 15 considering the utter crap I listened to :lol:) and I know there are good bands out there. I just can't seem to find them, or sometimes the first song I hear of a new band isn't all that great and so I lose interest in further listening. Take Hammerfall, for example. A good Swedish band. Very influenced by Maiden, I think. Some songs are really great, but I don't like it when they sing in choires - it's "corny". Helloween, great music, really great, but could someone please release the singer's scrotum and let him take some lower notes for a while? I can't stand it. Help me out, please. Find me some great 21st century heavy metal a la 80s new wave of British HM and I'm a happy person for a long, long time. ;)

Anomica said:
Find me some great 21st century heavy metal a la 80s new wave of British HM and I'm a happy person for a long, long time. ;)

Well, probably BLAZE could be counted (?), but it does not look good with the band in the last days (speaking of band member changes)

I'm sad that I missed Blaze era, I'd be happy to have the X Factour as my first gig (see? still on topic :p ), because I'm afraid I'll never see and hear Blaze singing Sign of the Cross live :)

Belenor said:
        [...]
I'm sad that I missed Blaze era, I'd be happy to have the X Factour as my first gig (see? still on topic :p ), because I'm afraid I'll never see and hear Blaze singing Sign of the Cross live :)

I'm not a Blaze fan, but I have to admit that
the guy was unbelievable better live than in recordings !!
He was doing very good with all Paul or Bruce songs

Strangely enough during all the Blaze concerts concerts I saw,
I liked more his "covers" of Bruce's or Paul's songs than the original made-for-him numbers!!

Anyway is a lovely guy -but comparing him to Bruce
(or perhaps Paul -I never saw him live with Maiden)...well is not even possible

My first Blaze gig, I will be allways proud of it and my band :
They were playing in front of 200 -300 fans, and still they did play like hell !!
Two whole hours like hell   :wub:
when one have see such a thing, he can never forget it !

Anomica said:
Of course it's partly because of age - it's harder to impress a 40-year old than a 15-year old (or at least me at 15 considering the utter crap I listened to :lol:)
It's not just us oldies that have a hard time been impressed, people in their late teens/early twenties say the same thing. I have heard one or two actually say they "have been born in the decade".

Anomica said:
Help me out, please. Find me some great 21st century heavy metal.....
Read my post above yours. ;)

Perun said:
While I agree that there's been no recent band of the calibre of Iron Maiden or Judas Priest in the spotlight lately, it is pretty unfair to dismiss all contemporary music as crap.
Each band deserves at least one listen before you can make some sort of judgement about them. There are a lot of great heavy metal bands around currently that haven't made it big (yet). You shouldn't judge modern metal by commercial machines like Trivium or Mastodon; it's just not fair to the hard working artists who try to make fans from the scratch.

Actually, both the bands you've mentioned have worked hard to get where they are today.  While I despise Trivium, they toured extensively around the small clubs and venues before the commercial metal media catapulted them to stardom; while it may have gone to their heads, they did have to lay the groundwork for their success.

This is ignoring the fact that they can't write an original riff, by the way :p

Oh, and I quite like Mastodon.  Probably one of the better 'commercial' metal bands today, although I can't find any comparison with the likes of Trivium, though their popularity is possibly equal.

As long as Maiden is still active I consider them "contemporary". So is Grave Digger, Therion, Hammerfall and Rhapsody. While getting their start in the 80's or 90s it doesn't matter, they are still active and still producing good music in their own right. Bands like Maiden are few and far between, ground breaking and innovative. In the meantime enjoy the good stuff that is out there.

While i'm not dismissing all bands of today, I too find it hard to like anything other than one or two songs on an album.  I have found that a lot of todays music is still trying shock people with the name of the band, album art and lyrics about all types of insane crap.  I know that Iron Maiden was shock back in the day with the album art, Eddie and such, but the music and lyrics didn't stoop to the level of todays music.  I have all but given up on todays because of this.  I'm not impressed with the crap the music industry is forcing musicians to make (or lose their contract) just to sell records.  It's all about money!  Death Metal has ruined the metal scene, in my opinion.  Gone are the days of the glam metal and hair metal and you would associate Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and such as the heavy stuff.  I cannot get into music that has shouting for singing and who can play faster and have grosser lyrics.  It's just gotten out of hand.  I understand that there is music that is good, Wolfmother i've heard is good, but to be honest i'm more content picking up cd's of bands that I know can put out a good product and don't have to stoop to low levels of just shock value and not a finished product.  I'm not condeming all of todays music or saying all of the music of the past is the best in the world, but I just cannot accept that todays youth are being let down by the music industry.

TrooperEd said:
  Death Metal has ruined the metal scene, in my opinion. 
Listen to Opeth, Dark Tranquility and Early In Flames for starters...
Gone are the days of the glam metal and hair metal
THANK GOD! acts like quiet riot, ratt and the like are what killed metal, because you had hundreds of groups like that and people got sick of it. Grunge was a direct response to Hair Metal, NOT bands like Maiden and Judas Priest and other thrash/traditional acts.

Back