You know you're bored at work when.....

Look, I read that at work, you never know what could happen to you if I read that at work, m'boy.......

Ya know, I can honestly say I've never had Spam!  :blush:

It's everywhere here!

I love bacon, eggs, and sausage though. Great breakfast. Throw in a couple pancakes and you're set!  ;)

Spam isn't that bad, well, haven't had it in years, but I remember it fulfilling it's purpose, stopping my hunger.

Python is an awesome programming language which is named after Monty Python. Thus, some elements of Python programs invariably reference Monty Python. One prominent example is the word "spam", which - inspired by the Python sketch - is the first-choice metasyntactic variable for Python programmers like me.

...then you have nothing to post about in this thread. Just like those of us who don't have a job (yet). :)

I can program a bit in C++ and php, a wee bit of HTML and CSS. Hoping on improving the latter 3 skills, for those can be real money makers, if you do them properly. :D

Right now i"m at work (kinda, workin for my parents) and i'm so bored that not even Brave New World (the book can't keep me focussed)

Black Ace said:
i'm so bored that not even Brave New World (the book can't keep me focussed)

That is serious! And not a bad idea to sharpen your programming skills, my cousin is making bank doing that sort of work, his team does websites and advertising for big computer firms (mainly), among other companies, their latest is the small business catalogue for Dell.

Black Ace said:
I can program a bit in C++ and php, a wee bit of HTML and CSS. Hoping on improving the latter 3 skills, for those can be real money makers, if you do them properly. :D

Right now i"m at work (kinda, workin for my parents) and i'm so bored that not even Brave New World (the book can't keep me focussed)

What the ... holy crap! A Black Ace sighting! Is he really back?

A note to all the n00bs ... Black Ace is the shining example you all should seek to follow, for he was once a n00b like you and changed his ways. Learn from his example.

Now, as to what Ace said:

CSS is not really a programming language - or at least, it wasn't intended that way in its first incarnation. Programmatic elements have since been added - specifically, some conditional behavior. But it's still not really a programming language in the way C++ is.

HTML is not a programming language at all. Other languages, such as JavaScript, can be embedded in HTML to give programmatic abilities. But pure HTML is just a markup language, and no more. This is not to suggest that it's not valuable - it is very much worth learning for any programmer, as any web work will require it.

PHP is a real programming language, though it lacks the power of C++. That's because it's intended to be a generator for HTML, and not much more. It can be used for more, but if you're not generating HTML then you're probably using the wrong tool.

C++ is the big gun. There are a few other contenders for top dog, like C or C# or Java, all of which have strong claims to being king of the hill. But they all have slight weaknesses compared to C++...
  • C can't support OOP.
  • C# is built for .NET, which is fine if you're a Windows guy, but can't cover Unices.
  • Java has the strength of being cross-platform (more easily than C++), but isn't designed for easy support of pointers or garbage collection. Some would say this is a strength, as no one in their right mind like pointers or garbage collection anyway ... but with C++ designed for low-level coding if needed, it technically is stronger.

This makes me think I should take a refresher course on C++, which I haven't studied since 2000.

However, I'm still a fanatical Python proponent! It is OOP from top to bottom, cross-platform (though a few tricks are difficult to port), and handles pointers and garbage for you like Java. So unless you're masochistic enough to enjoy calling malloc, get your ass to python.org already. :bigsmile:

You figure out stuff like this:

flowchartjf6.jpg

Back