• Union

• Talk

• Open Your Eyes

• The Ladder

• Magnification

• Fly From Here

• Heaven & Earth

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes is such a great and talented band. I'm still very sad about Chris Squire's passing. :goodbye: I had the honor of meeting him twice and he was a great guy. I also had the honor of seeing Yes six times and I will be seeing them for a seventh time. I've also seen Jon Anderson as a one man band. Its hard to decide which album is my favorite. Going For The One and Fragile are top contenders and I also love Tales From Topographic Oceans, The Yes Album, and Relayer. I also enjoyed the 80's albums. Drama is amazing but Big Generator is criminally under rated. Heaven and Earth and Fly From Here are also great albums

Did they play songs from Union? Oh, you poor, poor soul.
I haven't heard too much from Union but from what I read many parts were recorded by session musicians. Rick calls it the Onion album because it makes him cry because he could not recognize his parts. I only heard the first three song.

Just got new copy of Drama in mail from Amazon (about $4) and heard for first time. Better than expected! 1st and last tracks are heavier than I expected. The chorus of Into The Lens sounded familiar (I am a cam-er-a). Looking forward to hearing Steve, Geoff, and Alan playing the whole thing this summer live!

Edit: Now I know why the chorus of Into the Lens sounded familiar. It was rerecorded by the Buggles a year later!

Last edited:
Drama is a great album, it's one of the albums that really got me into Yes. If you like this style, definitely check out what should have been their last album, Fly From Here. It's very much a spiritual successor to Drama, most of the material comes from that period and it is produced by Trevor Horn with Geoff Downes on keyboards.

I'm currently on my annual attempt of Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Drama is a great album, it's one of the albums that really got me into Yes. If you like this style, definitely check out what should have been their last album, Fly From Here. It's very much a spiritual successor to Drama, most of the material comes from that period and it is produced by Trevor Horn with Geoff Downes on keyboards.

I'm currently on my annual attempt of Tales From Topographic Oceans.
I read somewhere where the band described side 1 as more commercial than the rest. :huh:
If they think RSOG is commercial, they were on more drugs than I thought. That is a WEIRD song. If you take out the guitar solo and drum solo from side 4, it is far more of a straight rocker.
Still, this is obviously is very self-indulgent very progressive LP and yes, I agree it does take multiple listens. I enjoy it now more than I used to.
Looking forward to hearing side 1 & 4 played live this summer by Steve, Geoff, and Alan.

Side 1 is the most accessible, for whatever that's worth.

I enjoy Tales but I can only stand to listen to it once in a long while.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Yes again this summer and hearing all of Drama live. Drama is a fantastic album. I love all of 1970's Yes, which has some of my very favorite albums but Drama is probably one of my favorite albums from the 1980s. Hearing songs from Tales From Topographic Oceans and Drama together is going to make one amazing show!

Not interested in Yes without Chris Squire tbh.
I can't be that picky because not many other musicians playing those songs live anymore (or ever again). If I want to see them live, I better go now...before they ALL die off.

Chris Squire was the last original member of Yes and the only one to play on every album. It'd be like an Iron Maiden without Steve Harris.

CTTE
Fragile
GFTO
Yes Album
Drama
Relayer

Honorable Mention goes to Keys to Ascension (both) for being the best latter day material. The live stuff is simply majestic. This is the Yes I like to remember.

I just finished Tormato in my annual Yes discography run through. After Drama is where I start to get into unfamiliar territory. My vague memory tells me Keys to Ascension, Talk, Magnification, and The Ladder are the best ones of the later period. We'll see how it holds up and if any others stick out this time.

My top 5:

1: Close To the Edge

2: Fragile
3: Relayer
4: Drama
5: The Yes Album

Chris Squire was the last original member of Yes and the only one to play on every album. It'd be like an Iron Maiden without Steve Harris.
Even though Steve Howe is not a founding member, he is THE Yes guitarist for me (nothing against Trevor; he is a great guitarist, singer, songwriter, etc).

Won't argue with that, having Steve Howe definitely gives that lineup more validity. Of course Alan White has been there since the 70s, so he also deserves a lot of credit.

Yes started their new US tour last night (I will see it in about two and a half weeks).
In addition to playing the previously announced Revealing Science of God and Ritual from TFTO, they also are playing Leaves of Green which is the acoustic section of The Ancients (also from TFTO). Nothing newer than 1980 in the setlist.

This is a tour for die hards only. Taking my son and his mother. She only knows 90125. They might fall asleep!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/yes/2016/celeste-center-columbus-oh-bff6152.html

Great setlist! ...in other news...I think I really love Hearts (the closer to 90125)! The best song by YesWest (this lineup of Yes) by far!

Back