Worst Derek Riggs album cover?

Which album cover by Derek Riggs do you like the least?

• Iron Maiden

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Killers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Number of the Beast

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Piece of Mind

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Powerslave

• Somewhere in Time

• Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No Prayer for the Dying

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Live after Death

• A Real Live One

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • A Real Dead One

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

Invader

Ancient Mariner
Simple question: which is your least favourite album cover by Derek Riggs.  I would've done a general "worst album cover" but Dance of Death wouldn't stand a chance, so this is more interesting.

For me, the answer is quite easy: The Number of the Beast.  I just think it doesn't match the detail and awesomeness of the other Riggs album covers.  It's always struck me as the most boring.

The story behind the NOTB cover is brilliant enough to not choose it as worst.
Besides, when the remasters came out, the original colours (darker background) returned.

About this poll, I don't know, perhaps I'd choose "A Real Live One" or "A Real Dead One". These Eddie's are more cartoonish and less serious imo.

Iron Maiden (s/t) for me...lacks the imagination and je ne sais quoi of the other covers listed.  Killers really begins the classic Eddie, for me, but IM seems unpolished.

Regular album covers: A Real Live One, no doubt. But it's not the worst Eddie painting Riggs did for Maiden, by far. I personally think it's not surprising they stopped their working relationship with him, because the stuff Riggs drew at that time was just crap. These pictures, among others, illustrate what I mean:

album12d2_bbc_a_small.jpg

single27_hallowed_a_small.jpg

album10b_bestof_a.jpg

Best Of The Beast still is the best of those, but those Eddies really look like Riggs got tired of drawing him.

The Commentary said that Riggs did a cover for Fear of the Dark, but the band didn't take it.  I'd like to see it; hopefully on a history DVD? 

It's hard to tell who's at fault with the whole Riggs/Maiden controversy.  I wonder sometimes if Derek Riggs isn't a hint of a prima donna, but Maiden *did* adjust his artwork without permission.  Regardless, I agree with Perun - the stuff Riggs came out with post Seventh Son is certainly of lesser quality than the things he did in the 80s.  The evolution of Eddie into the monster-type creature of the 90s really upsets me, and covers like the Hallowed cover and the Raising Hell cover...just fucking terrible.

Well....out of that list....I'd have to go w/No Prayer...all the others are classic! Plus, they sold real well. No Prayer began Maiden's "decline," with H gone and Bruce's vocals being more "punky", or "raspy" or whatever...

So it's No Prayer for me...

Riggs didn't do Dance Of Death? That would be my choice...but it's not on the list...That cover is just...eh. Not that great. It's all about Pasch  :D

Powergirl81 said:
Well....out of that list....I'd have to go w/No Prayer...all the others are classic! Plus, they sold real well. No Prayer began Maiden's "decline," with H gone and Bruce's vocals being more "punky", or "raspy" or whatever...

So it's No Prayer for me...

Because the quality of the music has anything to do with the album art? :huh:

A Real Live One. Least imagnitative of the Riggs' covers, not a lot of detail compared to some of his earlier work.

I picked No Prayer... not anywhere near as good as the others, plus when it came out i bought it on tape and couldn't for the life in me find Dereks signature, had me bugged for ages, best has to SIT, everytime i see it i find more hidden details

I voted for no prayer, but now that i've seen a real dead one it's even worse.
I think real live one is awesome.

I'm voting NPFTD, because i never understand the picture. Is that a door, a tomb or a wall ?

Why is the man holding this lantern ? is he walking in the middle of a cemetery ?

RDO and RLO are simplier, of course, but not terrible "bad".

I voted for No Prayer For The Dying. Both versions, the original one and the one on '98 remasters :D

Back