World War I & II topic

I was happy with the Norman Davies book Europe at War 1939–1945: No Simple Victory, but it did not have good maps. Davies criticizes the Allies (west and Soviets), so could be called biased(?), but not more biased than (North)American/Western history books that mainly tell the Allied/American (all good) story.
I felt the book was factual as well. At least, I am not aware of mistakes, and I felt I had a good impression of the campaigns, the importance (the impact) for the first time (2006 that is).

From wiki:
Published sixty years after World War II, Davies argues that a number of misconceptions about the war are still common and then sets out to address them. Two of his main claims are that, contrary to popular belief in the West, the dominant part of the conflict took place in Eastern Europe between the two totalitarian systems of the century - communism and fascism - and that Stalin's USSR was as bad as Hitler's Germany. The subtitle No Simple Victory does therefore not just refer to the losses and suffering the Allies had to endure in order to defeat the enemy, but also the difficult moral choice the Western democracies had to make when allying themselves with one criminal regime in order to defeat another.

I liked the different divisions in the book. It was not pure military, it also treats the civilian aspect. And the political and others (e.g. wartime movies / technology).

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/revi...9-1945-no-simple-victory-europe-east-and-west
The British-born historian Davies -- author of a best-selling history of Europe and several respected works on Poland -- has written two books to help compensate for what he sees as a parochial, Western view of European history. "Europe at War" is not just another survey but an opinionated, iconoclastic reassessment that relentlessly drives home the point that the greatest and most decisive developments of World War II took place on the Eastern Front. Davies hardly denies the importance of D-day or the Battle of El Alamein, but he wants his readers to know that the war's center of gravity was farther east -- and that Stalin's version of totalitarianism was no less evil than Hitler's. Davies' notion that most Americans and most British are unaware of this is a bit of a straw man. His own footnotes, after all, refer to widely read works by writers such as Anne Applebaum, Antony Beevor, Alan Bullock, Robert Conquest, and Richard Overy that address the horrors of the Eastern Front and shine a bright light on Stalin's crimes. But the evidence Davies amasses to justify focusing on the East is compelling. The German-Soviet war accounted for 406 million "man-months," compared with 16.5 million for the Western Front and 5 million for the North Africa campaign. The Soviet Union lost an estimated 11 million soldiers in the European theater, while the United States and the United Kingdom combined lost fewer than 300,000 there. Battle deaths in Operation Barbarossa (Germany's attack on the Soviet Union in 1941) were over 1.5 million, compared with 132,000 for Operation Overlord (the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944). And Stalin's concentration camps killed more people than Hitler's. Davies' facts and opinions on everything from technology to wartime movies are stimulating, and even his hobbyhorses are entertaining.

Before I that, I always looked at this with "Western education" point of view. Not my view has broadened and I have a better idea of the proportions/scale of (the terror of) all that has happened.

Last edited:
Perun, well I fucked up 2/3. The book is local theater, and it's A4. I'm sorry for the faulty memory.

20190304_183139.jpg 20190304_183146.jpg

So the half of it is text log format. If this book is for Yugoslav theater only, I imagine any of the European fronts would have several tomes in this format. With Pacific front that might be a half-shelf of books.

I was happy with the Norman Davies book Europe at War 1939–1945: No Simple Victory, but it did not have good maps. Davies criticizes the Allies (west and Soviets), so could be called biased(?), but not more biased than (North)American/Western history books that mainly tell the Allied/American (all good) story.
I felt the book was factual as well. At least, I am not aware of mistakes, and I felt I had a good impression of the campaigns, the importance (the impact) for the first time (2006 that is).

From wiki:
Published sixty years after World War II, Davies argues that a number of misconceptions about the war are still common and then sets out to address them. Two of his main claims are that, contrary to popular belief in the West, the dominant part of the conflict took place in Eastern Europe between the two totalitarian systems of the century - communism and fascism - and that Stalin's USSR was as bad as Hitler's Germany. The subtitle No Simple Victory does therefore not just refer to the losses and suffering the Allies had to endure in order to defeat the enemy, but also the difficult moral choice the Western democracies had to make when allying themselves with one criminal regime in order to defeat another.

I liked the different divisions in the book. It was not pure military, it also treats the civilian aspect. And the political and others (e.g. wartime movies / technology).

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/revi...9-1945-no-simple-victory-europe-east-and-west
The British-born historian Davies -- author of a best-selling history of Europe and several respected works on Poland -- has written two books to help compensate for what he sees as a parochial, Western view of European history. "Europe at War" is not just another survey but an opinionated, iconoclastic reassessment that relentlessly drives home the point that the greatest and most decisive developments of World War II took place on the Eastern Front. Davies hardly denies the importance of D-day or the Battle of El Alamein, but he wants his readers to know that the war's center of gravity was farther east -- and that Stalin's version of totalitarianism was no less evil than Hitler's. Davies' notion that most Americans and most British are unaware of this is a bit of a straw man. His own footnotes, after all, refer to widely read works by writers such as Anne Applebaum, Antony Beevor, Alan Bullock, Robert Conquest, and Richard Overy that address the horrors of the Eastern Front and shine a bright light on Stalin's crimes. But the evidence Davies amasses to justify focusing on the East is compelling. The German-Soviet war accounted for 406 million "man-months," compared with 16.5 million for the Western Front and 5 million for the North Africa campaign. The Soviet Union lost an estimated 11 million soldiers in the European theater, while the United States and the United Kingdom combined lost fewer than 300,000 there. Battle deaths in Operation Barbarossa (Germany's attack on the Soviet Union in 1941) were over 1.5 million, compared with 132,000 for Operation Overlord (the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944). And Stalin's concentration camps killed more people than Hitler's. Davies' facts and opinions on everything from technology to wartime movies are stimulating, and even his hobbyhorses are entertaining.

Before I that, I always looked at this with "Western education" point of view. Not my view has broadened and I have a better idea of the proportions/scale of (the terror of) all that has happened.

Apart from the fact that I have read this particular book, I'm not looking for a book that "opens up a new view" to me or questions established ideas, or tells me the story of the war, because I was explicitly looking for a reference work.
Here's why: I had a discussion earlier today about a small battle in a minor campaign in an offbeat theatre of the war, and while I did end up finding the information I was looking for on Wiki, it took me frustratingly long to do so. It would have been great to have a boring reference work subdivided into neat little chapters with headings like, "The Yugoslav Campaign October 1944 to March 1945". A book like Davis' written as a narrative would only have made it more difficult, not to mention that Davis follows an agenda. Also, I'm not part of the target audience of this book, because Davis wrote it for people unaware of the scale of the eastern front. It's actually the other way around for me, I've been told all about the east and know very little about things such as Market Garden or the Battle of the Bulge.
Please note that all this is not to attack you or your preferences or the book or the historian, because I know most books on the war follow similar paths, which is why I decided to ask around if somebody happens to know something.
I know most English speaking literature on the war is biased and unbalanced, so is most German literature. I'm looking for a book that gives the same relative weight to, say, D-Day, Nanking, Kursk, the Italian war in Greece or Iwo Jima, without putting one nation or one front in the foreground.

@Perun

I had (or maybe still have, need to look in the attic) this book

https://www.amazon.com/RAND-MCNALLY-ENCYCLOPEDIA-WORLD-WAR/dp/B001Z7BZ4M

It is a bit old (1970s), but seems like what you are looking for. I had (have) another one that I think it better, cannot find it online, but similarly it was from the 1970s. But they have maps and you can get a high level view as you put it, the same relative weight from Kursk to Iwo Jima.

I have not read it, but generally Keegan's stuff is good

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia...x=enclylopedia+of+world+war+2,aps,157&sr=8-23

I honestly think what you are looking for does not and never really existed in any great numbers, mainly because World War II books (at least in the US) have really been more narrative based, which seems to be what you are trying to avoid. Since the advent of the internet, encyclopedias have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, which makes getting anything much more recent impossible (or close to it)

There were sets of books (Time Life, etc) ... that were interesting when I read them (in 7th grade), but they are really a mix of high level narrative and some details, but pretty much US centered for the most part.

I know you are looking for books, but I am almost wondering if a documentary series might fit the bill better

Obviously more from a US perspective, but I semi recently watched
https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/the-pacific-war-in-color/1005409

Which does go through all the key battles in pretty decent detail.

Beyond that, you are pretty much looking at books that are battle by battle

Not sure if this is of any help, but it is about all I got. I will try to find the other book I mentioned, because honestly that is easily the best general reference book I have come across.

No prob Perun. I did not know you had read the book (well done)!

I am curious what you could not find (that easy) on Wikipedia.

If you find something "better"* than Wikipedia then I'm your man. I'd buy something like that.

Also, if you find a balanced and complete overview (covering many areas and facets) of the European theatre (more than Davies' book), let me know.

*I guess it depends on what (the substance) we want to read in the chapters. And how it is structured.

Last edited:
... I got frustrated both by the lack of accuracy of my campaign maps and the way Wiki gets lost in detail too quickly before you can get an overview of campaign histories. So, I was thinking, what is the best, most handy and comprehensive to use reference work for the war, preferably with good maps, that would help you as a research starting point? Most books on the war I know are narratives, and that's not what I'm looking for.
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but have you explored the route of "atlas history" books? These probably won't escape the kind of bias that has been discussed (e.g. anglo-viewpoint) but they will be concise, accurate, & not hugely detailed i.e. "lost in detail too quickly". I have an old copy of Collins' Atlas of World History & it has some world conflict covered, possibly in the manner/style that you're looking for. It's not what you're looking for specifically, I realise, but I was thinking there may be books out there that are in the same style but focused on WWII.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mapping-Se...8&sr=8-5&keywords=collins+atlas+world+history
Follow the conflict of the Second World War from 1939 to 1945 in this unique volume, published in association with Imperial War Museums, London, featuring historical maps and photographs from their archives, and fascinating commentary from an expert historian.

Over 150 maps tell the story of how this global war was fought.

Types of maps featured:
• Strategic maps showing theatres of war, frontiers and occupied territories
• Maps covering key battles and offensives on major fronts
• Planning and operations maps showing defences in detail
• Propaganda and educational maps for the armed forces and general public
• Maps showing dispositions of Allied and enemy forces
• Bomber and V-weapon target maps

Descriptions of key historical events accompany the maps, giving an illustrated history of the war from an expert historian.

Key topics covered include
• 1939: Invasion of Poland
• 1940: German invasion of Low Countries & France
• 1940: Battle of Britain & German invasion threat
• Dec 1941: Pearl Harbor
• 1942: Turning points: Midway, Alamein, Stalingrad
• 1941-45: Barbarossa and the Eastern Front
• The War at Sea
• The advances to Jerusalem, Damascus and Baghdad
• The War in the Air
• 1944: Neptune & Overlord; D-Day & liberation of France
Not the blow-by-blow coverage that you're looking for but a good place to start perhaps? Or other books like this...

See also Amazon's: "Customers who viewd this item also viewed" (for the above link)
e.g.
Atlas of the Eastern Front: 1941-45
Mapping The Second World War: The Key Battles of the European Theatre from Above
Atlas of the European Campaign: 1944–45

Last edited:
On Market Garden. @Perun I read many good reviews on this particular book from 2018!

Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944 / Antony Beevor

https://www.economist.com/books-and-arts/2018/05/24/anthony-beevors-new-history-of-arnhem

51l7PrYq5VL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

.... THERE is a particularly British tendency to romanticise valiant military failure. The retreat to Corunna, the charge of the Light Brigade and the death of General Gordon at Khartoum are remembered as much as famous victories. The “Battle of the Bridges” of 1944, fought predominantly in the Netherlands, fits into this category. Two films celebrate the heroics of what was the biggest airborne battle in history—“Theirs is the Glory” (made in 1946, immediately after the second world war) and “A Bridge Too Far” (1977).

Sir Antony Beevor avoids this trap. In the meticulous narrative style he first employed in “Stalingrad”, he recreates the operation from the dropping of the first troops on September 17th to the evacuation of the remnants of the British 1st Airborne Division eight days later. Tragically, heroism and incompetence are inseparable.

The outline of the story of “Arnhem” may be familiar, but Sir Antony’s unearthing of neglected sources from all the countries involved—British, American, Polish, Dutch and German—brings to life every aspect of the battle. The misjudgments of egotistical commanders are exposed by their own actions and words. The experiences of individual soldiers both appal and inspire. Five were awarded Victoria Crosses, Britain’s highest military award, four of them posthumously. The plight of trapped Dutch civilians, who took great risks to help their liberators, is never overlooked. At times the wealth of detail threatens to confuse the reader. But confusion is the very essence—the “fog”—of war. ....

'In Beevor's hands, Arnhem becomes a study of national character' - Ben Macintyre, The Times
'Superb book, tirelessly researched and beautifully written' - Saul David, Daily Telegraph
'Complete mastery of both the story and the sources' - Keith Lowe, Literary Review
'Another masterwork from the most feted military historian of our time' - Jay Elwes, Prospect Magazine
'The analysis he has produced of the disaster is forensic' - Giles Milton, Sunday Times
'He is a master of his craft . . . we have here a definitive account' - Piers Paul Read, The Tablet

// // // // // // //

Antony Beevor's book on WWII (from 2012):
The Second World War
220px-The_Second_World_War_%28Beevor_book%29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_World_War_(book)

Throughout the bulk of the book, Beevor jumps back and forth throughout the different theaters of war. He begins by detailing Germany's invasion of Poland, Germany's alliance with the Soviet Union, and the invasion of France. Interspersed are chapters focusing on the Second Sino-Japanese War along with others building up a description of global events.

The perspective then expands to include the Mediterranean and Middle East theatre, the Battle of the Atlantic, the Battle of Britain, and the Balkans Campaign.

Following which, there is a major shift in focus onto the Eastern Front, detailing Operation Barbarossa, the Battle of Moscow, Operation Blau, and the epic Battle of Stalingrad, a conflict which Beevor had previously written about. Simultaneously, he also depicts the events of Pearl Harbor, the ensuing events in Asia, the Pacific, North Africa, as well the Holocaust.

As the Allies began to turn the war decisively in their favour. Alternating between the major events, Beevor details Operation Torch, American victories in the Pacific, and the Soviet counterattacks on the Eastern Front, the invasion of Sicily and Italy. In what Beevor terms the "Spring of Expectations", the Allies launch major offensives against Axis forces on all fronts: The Soviets push westwards successfully, while the Western Allies launch Operation Overlord, and numerous defeats are inflicted upon the Japanese.

As the war enters its final days, Beevor recounts the frantic race to Berlin between the Western Allies and the Soviets along with the downfall of the Nazi regime. After the fall of Berlin, another topic Beevor has previously written about, Beevor turns to the dropping of the atomic bombs and the surrender of Japan. He concludes with a recount of the devastation caused by the war.

Multiple important figures in the war are covered in detail, not only including the important national leaders (Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, Hideki Tojo, Chiang Kai-shek), but also individual generals (von Manstein, Rommel, Yamamoto, Zhukov, Montgomery, Eisenhower, MacArthur, and others) and lesser-known political figures.

Beevor devotes entire chapters to particularly important battles or operations, including Operation Barbarossa, the Battle of Moscow, Pearl Harbor, Operation Blau, the Battle of Stalingrad, the Battle of Kursk, and the Battle of Berlin.

As one of Beevor's culminating works, The Second World War received mostly positive reviews. The Guardian praised his account of the Eastern Front, but criticised his depiction of the Second Sino-Japanese War and its rapid pace. Other reviews lauded the global scale of the book and its gripping narrative, and the attention it gives to lesser-known areas of the war.

// // // // // // //

And watch this as well, if you like (you can skip the first minute if you like; or the first 46 if you wish to go to the conversation, or go to 1:30:00 for questions from the audience, which are more about Market Garden than the conversation):

And:

And:

Last edited:
Deep sea explorers found the USS Hornet in the South Pacific earlier this year, but the Hornet was not the only ship located on that expedition. In the latest update for the American Naval history books, the research vessel Petrel revealed it also found the World War II aircraft carrier USS Wasp.

We're 2.5 miles down, peering inside the cockpit of an avenger torpedo bomber from the sunken World War II aircraft carrier, USS Wasp. The plane is not just a relic, it's a clue, reports CBS News correspondent Mark Phillips. Can the Wasp itself be far away?

The Wasp was part of the ferocious 1942 air and sea battle for the strategic South Pacific island of Guadalcanal. Jim Forrester, 98 years old now, was 21 on the Wasp that day.

"All of a sudden we got hit with torpedoes," Forrester recounted. "Imagine yourself lifted right up out of your chair right now."

One of the torpedoes had hit the fuel tanks, and the ship was an inferno. One-hundred-seventy-six of her crew were dead – the rest were ordered to abandon ship.

"I grabbed my nose and the family jewels and—" Forrester started.

"And jumped into the Pacific?" Philips asked.

"Yes," Forrester said.

The Wasp had been lost for almost 77 years. But the deep water research vessel, Petrel, combed the Pacific looking for long-lost war wrecks. In January, CBS News watched mission leader, Rob Kraft, and his crew find another carrier, the USS Hornet.

I meant to post this earlier and now it is off the current topic, so my apologies.

My level 1 class asks some interesting non-English related questions. I always start and end class with, "Any questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, funny anectdotes, inappropriate jokes?" Normally students have none or they are class related. On Monday one student said, "Yeah, I have a question. Why do men have nipples?" Cue 40 minute discussion on sexuality, gender, psychology and philosophy.

More the the thread's topic, on Tuesday ANOTHER student in the same class, "Yeah, maybe an unpopular opinion, but teacher, don't you think Hitler did SOME good things?" :eek:o_O:facepalm: The student meant scientific/medical advancements and infrastructure done under the Nazi regime. Cue 40 minute discussion on how NO ONE did "good things" during the early to mid 20th century.

Both discussions had nothing to do with English, but I felt compelled to address them seriously as it is my job to teach and I kept it as objective and unbiased as possible.

I think I found something at the bookstore today. Not as detailed as it looks at first, but good enough for my purposes.

DuuDRvt.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll blast some Sabaton and get occupied.

This always works, BTW. If you need me to shut up, give me an atlas or some sufficiently detailed and interested maps and you can forget about me.

I meant to post this earlier and now it is off the current topic, so my apologies.

My level 1 class asks some interesting non-English related questions. I always start and end class with, "Any questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, funny anectdotes, inappropriate jokes?" Normally students have none or they are class related. On Monday one student said, "Yeah, I have a question. Why do men have nipples?" Cue 40 minute discussion on sexuality, gender, psychology and philosophy.

More the the thread's topic, on Tuesday ANOTHER student in the same class, "Yeah, maybe an unpopular opinion, but teacher, don't you think Hitler did SOME good things?" :eek:o_O:facepalm: The student meant scientific/medical advancements and infrastructure done under the Nazi regime. Cue 40 minute discussion on how NO ONE did "good things" during the early to mid 20th century.

Both discussions had nothing to do with English, but I felt compelled to address them seriously as it is my job to teach and I kept it as objective and unbiased as possible.

I know, I know, quoting myself, whateves. I saw this article this morning:https://www.economist.com/asia/2019...xJtkcP2jNTxrt-nO6oUMq9RFSeuXSW5Y3U9WDb-bqqmjU

On how Japan's Supreme Court upheld that for a transgendered individual to be recognized in their new gender they MUST undergo sterilization among other rquirements lined out in the article.

Turns out many European nations had similar policies until very recently. This goes to what I was telling my students about the early to mid 20th century horros done by EVERYONE. Eugenics wasn't unique to Nazi Germany. The U.K, the U.S and many others had similar programs in which they promoted force sterilization of the poor, the mentally retarded, the handicapped, etc. We also like to think that after this time we learned our lesson... well, we haven't.

I remember one American looked at me once and said, "Well we never performed illegal medical experiments!" and I responded, "The black men of Tuskegee would beg to differ."

...or the CIA stuff in Cold War.

But I mean even the Brits covertly gave LSD to the troops which qualifies it as illegal medical experiment. The dosages in question were super high for today's standards.

The Persian famine of 1917–1919 was a period of widespread mass starvation and disease in Persia (Iran) under rule of Qajar dynasty during World War I. The famine took place in the occupied territory of Iran that had declared neutrality. So far, few historians have researched the famine, making it an understudied subject.

According to the estimates acknowledged by the mainstream view, about 2 million people died between 1917 and 1919 because of hunger and from diseases, which included cholera, plague and typhus, as well as influenza infected by 1918 flu pandemic. A variety of factors are commented to have caused and contributed to the famine, including successive seasonal droughts, requisitioning and confiscation of foodstuffs by occupying armies, speculation, hoarding, war profiteering, and poor harvests.

Civilian causalities of all WW1 participants total at 2.2 million and the worsening conditions "contributed" up to 5 million. Losing two million people in a neutral country is an epic disaster.

The period in Iranian history between 1911 and 1921 is indeed severely understudied. Most histories gloss over it with statements such as, "the country sank into chaos" or "government structures collapsed entirely". I have not yet seen any research about the question how much it contributed to the national identity of Iran in the following decades.

Most history books are still very Eurocentric glossing over, not just Middle Eastern history, but African history as well.

Back