World Cup of Maidenfans

Vote for your picks for the FOUR best bands.

• Venom

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The Who

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Edguy

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Pink Floyd

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Queensryche

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Sabaton

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yngwie Malmsteen

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Symphony X

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Scorpions

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
The World Cup of Maidenfans
A competition to determine the second-best band in the world.
Eighty bands face off in a three-part competition for the right to sit at Eddie’s right hand

Part one: the qualifier
A modified survivor to determine who gets to join the eight top seeds in the round robin

Part two: the round-robin
Group play to determine who makes the playoffs

Part three: the playoffs
Head-to-head elimination rounds to determine the winner

The top seeds (given a bye into the round-robin):
Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica, Dio, Rush, Dream Theater, Megadeth, Iced Earth,

The rest (hoping to qualify):
Group 1: AC/DC, Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Dire Straits, Helloween, Motley Crue, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Steve Vai, ZZ Top
Group 2: Avenged Sevenfold, Blind Guardian, Extreme, Foo Fighters, Motorhead, Queen, Testament, Van Halen, Yes
Group 3: Alice In Chains, Gamma Ray, Journey, Led Zeppelin, Pantera, Michael Schenker, Slayer, UFO, Y&T
Group 4: Anthrax, Avantasia, Blue Oyster Cult, Children of Bodom, Kiss, Gary Moore, Ozzy Osbourne, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam
Group 5: Edguy, Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Scorpions, Symphony X, Yngwie Malmsteen, Sabaton, Venom, The Who
Group 6: Accept, Amorphis, The Beatles, Chickenfoot, Deep Purple, Dokken, King Diamond, Savatage, Joe Satriani
Group 7: Alice Cooper, Guns and Roses, Hammerfall, Jimi Hendrix, Genesis, Kreator, Mastodon, Thin Lizzy, Uriah Heep
Group 8: Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, Manowar, Rainbow, Opeth, Saxon, Soundgarden, Stratovarius, Whitesnake

Bands were determined by months of reading this forum, with a special emphasis on the favourite bands thread. Qualifying groups were constructed mostly at random, except for an emphasis on making sure each group had a mix of styles. Contest to start tomorrow with the Group One qualifier

I'd want these to be group winners :

Dire Straits
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Ozzy Osbourne
Pink Floyd
Deep Purple
Genesis
Rainbow

This does sound like a good bit of fun, thanks for putting the work into it! :)

mckindog said:
Group 2: Avenged Sevenfold, Blind Guardian, Extreme, Foo Fighters, Motorhead, Queen, Testament, Van Halen, Yes
Ffffuuuu.jpg

Blind Guardian and Testament are two of my top five bands! Both in the same group. :(

You're putting Extreme in just to mock me when they lose first, right? :p

Group 1: AC/DC, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Motley Crue
Group 2: Queen
Group 3: Journey, Michael Schenker
Group 4: Gary Moore
Group 5: Scorpions
Group 6: .... Chickenfoot at a push
Group 7: Alice Cooper, Guns and Roses
Group 8: Aerosmith, Rainbow

My hopefuls. Some tough groups.

Awesome band choices mckindog!

My ideal:

1: Candlemass
2: Yes
3: Led Zeppelin
4: Anthrax
5: Symphony X
6: Deep Purple
7: Genesis
8: Opeth

Group 1 would have the most favourite bands of mine; in other words, very difficult to choose one from that one.

Steve Vai
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Joe Satriani
Jimi Hendrix
Manowar

Damn you for putting Gn'R in the same group with Jimi.

The draws have been set, the teams analyzed, the anthems sung.

The World Cup of Maidenfans is now underway with the qualifying round, Group one:
AC/DC, Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Dire Straits, Helloween, Motley Crue, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Steve Vai, ZZ Top

Vote for your picks for the FOUR best bands. Top two vote-getters move on to the round-robin. Third and fourth have a chance for a wild card entry.
The rest are eliminated.

My picks: AC/DC, Dire Straits, the Peppers, ZZ Top

Yeah, having some technical trouble here.
I'm looking for some mod help.

I gotta race off for an appointment.
Game on hold till further notice.
(I feel like those guys who couldn't get the giant torch out of the ground during the Olympic opening ceremonies.) :(

Helloween, i cant bring myself to tick any other boxes  :lol:
Im with black wizard... but i want blind guardian to go through along with the inevitable (but imo wrong) queen

the only groups im interested are 2 and 8 to ensure blind guardian and stratovarius survive

AC/DC
Motley
RHCP

All I really care for in that group.

mckindog said:
I gotta race off for an appointment.
Game on hold till further notice.
(I feel like those guys who couldn't get the giant torch out of the ground during the Olympic opening ceremonies.) :(

Don't worry. I'll wait til it's settled.

Back