Wildest Dreams

How good is Wildest Dreams on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Wildest Dreams

Hmm, OK. I quite like this track. It's a good opener for a pretty decent album. I'll give it a 7.

I give it a 7, not as good as Wickerman, but the chorus is cool and it is a fun song.  Good opener.

One of Maiden's worst openers (which they are normally strong in) and recently upgraded from a 4 to a 5 from me, if only for the cool instrumental section, but that's about it for the good sections of the song. I really don't like the chorus, which really does annoy me. Rainmaker would have been a much much better song to open the album with.

That could have been arranged if Wildest Dreams simply was left off the album. Or did you rather want to keep WD and put it on a different place? E.g. as the album closer? That'd certainly would have been the Wildest Move.  :D

Personally, I don't think it would hurt DoD if Wildest Dreams (and 1 or 2 others) were trimmed off the album. Usually, I'm of the mind that trimming songs is not a good idea, but there are a bunch of songs that are filler here and it could benefit the album as a whole. DoD is one of those albums where there is a huge difference between the worst and best songs (the next 4 are all really strong, yes even No More Repetition/Chorus which is what I imagine some of you would call it! :p )

EDIT: Just to expand, I can stand 1 or 2 songs that I consider filler (or at least not very strong compared to the rest of the album) and can listen to them happily enough (eg. Quest For Fire, Can I play with Madness) Heaven Can Wait, The Mercenary / The Fallen Angel) but when an album has 4 songs out of 11 in this category for me, it really drags the album down. It's almost something of a Bi-Polar album, with the extreme highs and lows of the album, fluctuating swings between high and low almost with the song change.

DOD would have been much more "compact" without Gates Of Tomorrow and New Frontier, and with Rainmaker as the opener.

8 out of 10... I've always liked this tune, even though it's one of the weaker ones on the album. Adrian's solo is electrifying, and the high point of the song. I'm surprised that it's not liked by many... it's a pretty good little rocker.

Quite a bad song from easily the worst reunion album in my eyes :p 4/10.

I, more than many on this forum, love a good, energetic rock anthem. It just has to have a catchy melody and a hooky riff. Wildest Dreams has neither. Has Maiden ever done a more conventional track? It’s just a run-off-the-mill riff rocker with basic lyrics and basic performances. I don’t dislike it, but it’s a disappointing opener and a disappointing concert track. Five

This track, promo video for this track and a copied CD of Dance Of Death pushed me away from Maiden for a while. I mean, i still was obsessed with late '80s works and stuff, but i really began listening to other bands more seriously and stopped following Maiden whereabouts, etc. I didn't even know about the Early Years tour, and heard about AMOLAD and three pre-released songs from totally "off-topic" internet forum. It took me awhile to grasp the whole new proggy concepts and stuff, and certainly excursions into another bands and stuff made me realize how good are Maiden, even more...and now i think that 00's are the second-best Maiden period, and even kicking mid-late '80s ass in some categories ;)

However, it still stands that DoD pushed me away and i can see why. A few shallow tracks and fillers, awful production and some bad choices. Wildest Dreams is too happy generic rocker with 7th grade homework lyrics. Decent instrumental section pulls it out. Six.

NightProwler666 said:
DOD would have been much more "compact" without Gates Of Tomorrow and New Frontier, and with Rainmaker as the opener.

I'd keep Gates of Tomorrow and drop Age of Innocence instead, apart from that I agree.

Unknown One said:
almost something of a Bi-Polar album

Easy dude, this is something I live with on a daily basis and I certainly rate myself above Dance of Death and only slightly below A Matte of Life and Death and The Final Frontier.  As someone who lives with Bi-Polar I like to think I am creative enough to be considered Somewhere In Time-like and consistent enough to be up there with the last two albums.  ;)

Wildest Dreams starts the album off on a downward trajectory but it does has its moments...the solo of course and the breakdown after it.  I like the chorus aside from the lyrics, having no interest in automobiles and bikes.  The fact it was included in the setlist in 2010 shows the band enjoys playing this song, and for this reason and the solo/breakdown/satisfying chorus I give the tune a 7.

Can we say "bi-polar without the medication"?

:ninja:

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Easy dude, this is something I live with on a daily basis and I certainly rate myself above Dance of Death and only slightly below A Matte of Life and Death and The Final Frontier.  As someone who lives with Bi-Polar I like to think I am creative enough to be considered Somewhere In Time-like and consistent enough to be up there with the last two albums.  ;)

Wildest Dreams starts the album off on a downward trajectory but it does has its moments...the solo of course and the breakdown after it.  I like the chorus aside from the lyrics, having no interest in automobiles and bikes.  The fact it was included in the setlist in 2010 shows the band enjoys playing this song, and for this reason and the solo/breakdown/satisfying chorus I give the tune a 7.

It is a more enjoyable song live than on the album, I suppose most songs are like that ... but the chorus is fun live.  That said, there are other songs I would pefer they play that are even more fun. 

6/10 - This is an OK song.  The solo is the highlight.  The lyrics are pretty jumbled and while I understand the sentiment, they could have been written so much better.  I'm still bummed that of all post 2000 songs they chose this one to play last year.  I think DOD would have worked much better with Rainmaker as the opener.

NightProwler666 said:
One of Maiden's worst openers - I think that only Invaders, Tailgunner and The Ides Of March are worse.

P.S. @Forostar, I'll give my rating later ;)
Rating: 7/10.
I also "fixed" the above post (I added the bold part) :)

Back