Why not Paul Dianno instead of Blaze?

Regearding H. If Roy Z is to believe, Paddy and him got Bruce very drunk and convinced him to rejoin Maiden and to take H back with him. That leads me to believe that the offer came from Maiden camp (firstly only for Bruce) and he hesitated. It's possible that they would take H back regardless, but from Z's drunken FB postings, it seems otherwise.

From the book and other sources, I think this was the timelapse.

-Poorer and poorer sales of Virtual XI tour and album.
-Nicko storms into Rod's office with live recordings and tells the managment and the band that Blaze isn't gonna cut it anymore.
-Rod suggests Bruce to Steve and Steve isn't really sure, but after some convincing he gives Rod the green light to send the "job proposal" to Bruce.
-Bruce doesn't want to ditch his solo career and despite that his own band (Eddie Casillas in particular) want him to rejoin he decides to turn it down.
-Paddy and Roy Z decide to get Bruce drunk and convince him to rejoin. They also convince him that he must insist to take H back with him.
-Bruce sends his demands back to Maiden camp.
-The meeting is arranged in Brighton.

Everything else is history.

It's also possible that Maiden wanted H back anyway, but wanted to convince the harder party (Bruce) first.

Sounds plausible.

Well, a thread full of what-ifs and guesswork :) I think Blaze is not a good singer (live especially), he has problems with intonation which can be heard even on studio efforts (e.g. in the chorus of Sign of the Cross), but that being said, I consider The X-Factor to be the best IM album along with A Matter of Life and Death and Powerslave. Blaze's post-maiden albums also have lots of fine moments. But yes, he was not good enough for Maiden. And Paul? I do not know... Whould have to hear that. The X-Factor would sounded differently for sure :)

If you read his biography I'm sure you'll understand were he was in his life in the early 90's. If I remember correctly there had been some major problems when Paul did a tour with Praying Mantis around the time Bruce left. If Paul had sorted his life out at that point, sure. But Blaze was the right man (at that point).

Back