Why did Steve Harris fire Clive Burr ?

There's a well known story of Nicko playing wearing an eddie mask as his first gig. Surely if he'd already filled in for two weeks previously then it couldn't have been his first gig?
That was in Belgium for Belgian TV, and it was before they went to the US in '82.

Mostly because the information is not maintained.

I guess my supreme skepticism here is that nobody, anywhere, has noted that Clive's dad died during this tour, except Clive himself. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it should be noted somewhere. Some Maiden fan from 1982 should be bragging about "seeing Nicko play with Maiden before he was in Maiden".

The missing piece comes down to lack of bootlegs two weeks into July 1982. On all bootlegged shows of '82 Clive plays, from beginning to the end of the tour.

The missing piece comes down to lack of bootlegs two weeks into July 1982. On all bootlegged shows of '82 Clive plays, from beginning to the end of the tour.
So we can assume it happened then.

I decided to go looking for when Ronald Burr died, to see approximately what dates Clive might have taken off, and I can find no obituary for him in the various obituary databases. Anyone have any idea when this happened?
I only know that Nicko had replaced Clive for a fortnight. Two weeks. Since I guess there is no known audio recording with Nicko, his term must have been a two week term somewhere in between bootlegs.
http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=tour03_notb/dates03_notb&lang=eng&link=tours

It could be in May or June 1982. But more likely is later in the tour: somewhere between 8 and 18 August or between 5 and 23 September.

Where and how do you read that? I might have missed it but I didn't see that. Haven't heard it in the bootlegs either.
I guess we're all trying to figure out the timeline here. I was assuming the decline had started right from the beginning of the tour.

So, Nicko replaces Clive for first two weeks of July 1982, we can't be completely certain because there's no official statement, bootlegs evidence, or anecdotal evidence from gig attendees. But let's presume so, and investigate into bootlegs after Clive's return. If band's story is correct, we should find at least a bit of evidence of lousy playing.

Because July is earlier than August and September so we cover all the possible 'after gaps' ?

I bet it was mid August or September. I can't imagine the atmosphere (or playing) was bad for so long (if it was July).

edit: another idea: if the setlist was a bit shorter for a period of two weeks, it could have been with Nicko as well. If he suddenly had to fill in, there's a chance he didn't know all songs well to perform. In other words, looking for setlists can be a good idea as well.

Last edited:
Nice!

But nothing about exactly when or why he replaced Clive (what happened with Clive and/or his dad).

The whole things is summarized with:
@8:22
"After things went the way they did".

Wow, there is no mention of this neither in the early days documentary or the biography, wonder why!?

Interesting video - but again it's another proof that members of Maiden have only mild recollection and idea about the history of the band. Nicko and Rod discussing when exactly the Eddie with the lights was used....:p

That's fine, but why wouldn't anyone have told Clive about that, rather than "you partied too much" or something.

Back