Who’s Read what of Iron Maiden’s literary source material?

What have you read of the following?

• The Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Murders in the Rue Morgue, Edgar Allan Poe

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Midwich Cuckoos, John Wyndham

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Where Eagles Dare, Alistair MacLean

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Icarus (Greek myth)

• The Charge of the Light Brigade, Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • The Inhabitant of the Lake, Ramsey Campbell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sun and Steel, Yukio Mishima

• Dune, Frank Herbert

• Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Alan Sillitoe

• Moonchild, Aleister Crowley

• Seventh Son, Orson Scott Card

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Lord of the Flies, William Golding

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • When Worlds Collide, Philip Gordon Wylie and Edwin Balmer

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Out of the Silent Planet, CS Lewis

• The Longest Day, Cornelius Ryan

• El Dorado, Edgar Allan Poe

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I think the poll omits titles, I’ll put them in the thread

• None of these

• When the Wild Wind Blows, Raymond Briggs

• Tam o’ Shanter, Robert Burns

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • The Quest for Fire, J.- H. Rosny

• Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Dracula, Bram Stoker

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

• The Duel, Joseph Conrad

• Run Silent Run Deep, Edward L. Beach

• The Odyssey, Homer

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
also, I'd put good money on the books that have been adapted for film, that it was the film that inspired Maiden in the majority of the cases.

also, I'd put good money on the books that have been adapted for film, that it was the film that inspired Maiden in the majority of the cases.

I have always been under the impression that Steve has been more inspired by films than by books (e.g. Where Eagles Dare).

I have updated the title of an Agatha Christie novel to the modern one. Not doing anything more this time, but when given the option to choose a title with/without a racial slur, please do so.

There aren’t any Agatha Christie novels in this poll. Regardless, I’d never post a racial slur.

There aren’t any Agatha Christie novels in this poll. Regardless, I’d never post a racial slur.
Someone else brought one up and there was a minor discussion over And Then There Were None. Some posts needed amendment because the original (offensive) title was used.

That Raquel Welch film with the fur bikini.

Nope. Quest for Fire is a film from Jean-Jacques Annaud, who also directed the fantastic The Name of the Rose. Raquel Welch and dinosaurs are nowhere to be found (but Steve’s Daily Mail-distorted mind).

I haven’t read the books, but I have seen the films of Phantom of the Opera, Quest for Fire, Where Eagles Dare and The Longest Day. Does that count? :innocent:

This reminds me of my old, long-forgotten thread, the Iron Maiden Reading List, which charitably has not yet been purged. Make what use of it (or not) as you will: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/iron-maiden-reading-list.15647/

(Embarrassing that I left out Tam O’Shanter...). But there are a couple that the poll missed too.
Looks like Heart of Darkness is one of the most notable omissions from the poll here. I'm disappointed in myself for not pointing that one out earlier; I've actually read that book!

Looks like Heart of Darkness is one of the most notable omissions from the poll here. I'm disappointed in myself for not pointing that one out earlier; I've actually read that book!
Same... although I much preferred Apocalypse Now. It may just be me, but Heart Of Darkness was a very difficult read and when it was finally going somewhere it was over faster than I expected. A lot of interesting themes, but the movie did a much, much better way of bringing them across, IMO.

Back