Who’s Read what of Iron Maiden’s literary source material?

What have you read of the following?

• The Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Murders in the Rue Morgue, Edgar Allan Poe

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Midwich Cuckoos, John Wyndham

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Where Eagles Dare, Alistair MacLean

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Icarus (Greek myth)

• The Charge of the Light Brigade, Alfred, Lord Tennyson.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • The Inhabitant of the Lake, Ramsey Campbell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sun and Steel, Yukio Mishima

• Dune, Frank Herbert

• Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Alan Sillitoe

• Moonchild, Aleister Crowley

• Seventh Son, Orson Scott Card

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Lord of the Flies, William Golding

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • When Worlds Collide, Philip Gordon Wylie and Edwin Balmer

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Out of the Silent Planet, CS Lewis

• The Longest Day, Cornelius Ryan

• El Dorado, Edgar Allan Poe

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I think the poll omits titles, I’ll put them in the thread

• None of these

• When the Wild Wind Blows, Raymond Briggs

• Tam o’ Shanter, Robert Burns

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • The Quest for Fire, J.- H. Rosny

• Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Dracula, Bram Stoker

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

• The Duel, Joseph Conrad

• Run Silent Run Deep, Edward L. Beach

• The Odyssey, Homer

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
The Phantom of the Opera: a classic. Read it recently.

Murders in the Rue Morgue: another classic. Read it a couple of years ago, among with other crime/mystery novels (And Then There Were None, The Hound of the Baskervilles...).

Icarus (Greek myths): I went to Classic High School :bigsmile:

The Charge of the Light Brigade: read it in middle school thanks to Maiden, then again with Ulysses in high school.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner: read it thanks to Maiden in my high school years. 10th/11th grade, IIRC. I also read Xanadu because it was in the same edition I bought (years later I listened to Rush's song).

The Name of the Rose: M A S T E R P I E C E. A great novel, but not so easy to read. Funfact: Umberto Eco actually hated this book, which he claimed was his worst work as an author.

Lord of the Flies: I read it. Another great book. One of the darkest novels I have ever read, along with Heart of Darkness.

I've not read Brave New World. I planned to do it years ago after having read 1984, but Huxley's still on the shelf.

Anyway, this one's missing, but I haven't read it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Wind_Blows_(comics)

Last edited by a moderator:
And Then There Were None
In the running for my favorite book ever. Certainly the best mystery novel I have ever read. And it’s mostly because, unlike many of its genre, the re-readability of it is fantastic.

Although I think most would agree that the best title for it is And Then There Were None. Much better and more sinister than the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a legit miss on my list. Added it, plus Tam o Shanter, as SRFC pointed out.

I expected Stranger in a Strange Land (Heinlein) or The Man who Would be King (Kipling) to be pointed out first, but I don’t think Maiden intentionally based their songs on those despite the coincidental titles.
Stranger in a Strange Land is loosely based on both Heinlein and a true story, if I'm not mistaken. I haven't read Kipling, but I don't think Steve based the song on that book. Also The Red and the Black shares its title with a famous novel by Stendhal, but the song has almost nothing to do with it.

I read Lord of the Flies in School for English Literature classes, and yes it was over-analysed

The same for Midwich Cuckoo (I loved the fact that it was sy-fi, as I had no idea from the title and the teacher never gave us any clues before we actually started reading it in class)

I also read Rime in the last year or so.

I read Murders in the Rue Morgue a couple of years ago when I read the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe (it's free on Kindle and there were loads of short stories by Poe that I was interested in)

Edit: oh, plus El Dorado by Poe, but from memory that has nothing to do with the song apart from the title

Just those 5, although Tam O'Shanter is now about to be read thanks to this thread. :)

Last edited:
I have updated the title of an Agatha Christie novel to the modern one. Not doing anything more this time, but when given the option to choose a title with/without a racial slur, please do so.

Now that I’ve read it, I’d remove El Dorado by Poe from the list If I could. The title’s the only thing the poem and the song have in common, and El Dorado’s not a name unique to specific literature.

Of course, Murders in the Rue Morgue’s lyrics have little to do with the story unless Paul’s an orangutan, but the title’s distinct enough to say it’s inspired by Poe’s story.

Full disclosure, I culled this list from Wikipedia here, which is a solid enough reference, but not error-free.

Last edited:
Back