Which song is a better addition to TNOTB album ?

Which song is better - Gangland or Total Eclipse

• Gangland

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Total Eclipse

Votes: 40 76.9%

• Total voters
Total Eclipse is a great song imo, the version of NOTB that I had first had TE on it so it's always been part of the album to me.

In those days there was often a bonus track for Japanese releases, mainly because the records were more expensive I think.

The bonus track for Killers was Twilight Zone (listed as Details of Twilight Zone). There weren't any for other releases, except for some posters, stickers, interviews etc.

The bonus track for Killers was Twilight Zone (listed as Details of Twilight Zone). There weren't any for other releases, except for some posters, stickers, interviews etc.

There was bonus tracks in other countries too,

The first album had sanctuary in some territories
Killers had twilight zone in some territories and Women in Uniform in Australia and maybe New Zealand too
Piece of Mind had Cross Eyed Mary on the picture disc*. Nicko's gibberish before Still Life was also listed as a separate track (called phatoor) on the Japan CD release

Total Eclipse was also on a US only pic disc that came out about 15 years ago.

*EDIT: in the USA

Last edited:
^ Right on, buddy. I was talking mainly Japanese releases but you are right. There are many nice items from that era.
There was bonus tracks in other countries too,

The first album had sanctuary in some territories

Was it not only North America?

To answer the question in the poll. Total Eclipse is definitely the better song but the album is perfect the way it is.

The only thing Still Life has in common with other songs you listed is that it's, well, a Maiden song.

It's really a 70s type track. 80s? Maybe the harmonized chorus, which is the only thing in that song that's not top notch. The song is mostly natural minor and when it goes pentatonic it's over a heavy, downpicked, hi-hat driven groove. I don't feel 80s in that at all.

Trooper, Sun and Steel, and QFF are pretty 1980s tho.

the most 80s sounding album is Somewhere in Time...… that album just says "I was made in the 80s"

Nah cause we were talking about early 1980s. It is not the same sound. Early eighties is a more polished late seventies, the synthesizer hell came afterwards.

It's also faster. If Still Life was on a 70's album, it would be 8 minutes long at least, just because it would be given more space to develop and meander.

Synthesiser overkill is part of a stereotype of how people like to think of the 80s, all artifice and grandiosity. I agree with Zare, though, that's more how things developed into the late 80s. Early 80s has more in common with 70s music. I'd say that goes for pop too (although pop went all electronic earlier).

Yeah Perun and I believe that's why rock/metal fell out of favour in mid 1970s. Brigs the same happened with shred guitar, people perceive that as the 80s but it's just a few years in the latter half and it went out as soon as 90s began.

And trends obviously do not follow decades. There was many more mullets per capita in 1992 than in 1982.

Paul Gilbert I believe said it was between 86 and 89.

Early 80's => Everyone wanted to be EVH
Late 80's => Shred guitarists galore (Gilbert, Cacophony etc, etc)

Malmsteen was playing & releasing material 1983-84. Shrapnel, the label for most of these guys, was founded in 1980. And granted he's regarded as a shredder, but was/is EVH even regarded as part of the Shred Metal scene? Either way, all of that was early-to-mid 80's. Gilbert was even teaching (Shred) in the mid-80's.

Don't kill me Cried I'm just repeating what Gilbert said :)

There is definitely shredding in 1984. Some. I tend to look it from the guitar market point of view - in 1984 superstrats were coming, in 1986 they were the norm.

Back