Which song is a better addition to TNOTB album ?

Which song is better - Gangland or Total Eclipse

• Gangland

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Total Eclipse

Votes: 43 70.5%

• Total voters
There was many more mullets per capita in 1992 than in 1982.
Yes, the same way the 20th century really started in 1904 (Archduke Ferdinand's assassination) or even 1914, the 80s really finished when Nirvana's success reached Europe. In other words, there aren't years that are more "eighties" than 90-92. :)
1718970594838.jpeg
If there had to be a key moment, that would be the space between when Coverdale Page went #4 on the Billboard and when they had to cancel their tour due to lack of sales.

Last edited:
Gangland, by far. Total Eclipse is among the worst 3 Maiden songs of all time for me, that unmusical howling in the final verse is beyond painful. Gangland needed a bit more time and could've been a genuinely good song, but as it stands right now it's merely alright. Still leages above the atrocity that is Total Eclipse.

It’s Gangland for me. I’ll admit there is a bit of nostalgia in my choice here. I’ve been spinning eclipse quite a bit lately and perhaps if it were the original winner my decision may have been different. Both songs are tremendous in their own right.
I read earlier “ditch Invaders, keep them both”. The blasphemy thread can be found elsewhere . …

This is kind of a tough one. I think that I like Total Eclipse slightly more for its concept and structure, but I think the arrangement could've been improved a bit... say, if the song was reworked for some later release, it might have turned out a bit better.

As it is, I think it would fit The Number of the Beat instead of Gangland well enough, but I think that Ganglad has a lot more curiosity value due to Clive Burr's writing credit (Edit: thanks to @Diesel 11 for pointing out that Total Eclipse has that too...) and I think it has fairly nice groove in it. In a way, I see it as one of the last "raw, off-the-streets", early-Maiden type of tracks from them before moving on to more grandeur song material for the four following records.

So uhm. To (kind of...) answer the question... Personally, I probably like Total Eclipse as a song a bit more, but I think Gangland brings more character to the album itself, although I consider as probably the weakest track there. Or actually, I might even like it more than Invaders. Ah, well, anyway.

EDIT #2: Funny enough, @chaosapiant pretty much summed all of the above in a lot more sensible and straightforward form below! :D

Last edited:
I have the 40th addition of Beast with Total Eclipse on it. I haven’t listening to the record yet. That should tell you how excited I am to listen to hear the song on the album…

Hammersmith on the other hand is incredible.

Back