Which is your favoure Bruce's vocal performance?

Great choice on Caught Somewhere In Time and The Duellists AlexanderTheMariner! Those are definitely two of my favorite Maiden songs and Bruce performances. I REALLY wish they would perform both of those songs on The Book Of Souls tour!!! They really need to perform something besides Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait from one of their greatest albums. I don't get why so many Maiden fans dislike The Duellists. It's not their greatest song, but it definitely has a good vocal performance and has some pretty great guitar in it (as does every song on Powerslave).
It's pretty hard for me to narrow down all of my favorites, but I'll try to narrow it down to 10. I don't exactly rank vocal performances by range or anything, just how much I enjoy the vocals for the specific song.
Albums: Somewhere In Time, Powerslave, The Number Of The Beast.
Songs: The Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be The Name, The Duellists, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Caught Somewhere In Time, Alexander The Great, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, The Legacy, Coming Home, If Eternity Should Fail, Empire Of The Clouds (I don't really feel like coming back to update my list after September 4) ;). I also really like his performance on Mother Russia.

Favourite ones:
-the stretched "law" part in "Sanctuary" on the B-side to the 1985 "Running Free (live)" single.
- "Revelations" on Live After Death.
- the "strange illusion" part in "Hallowed Be Thy Name" from the Maiden England video.
- in solo albums: "Jerusalem" as a whole, the "and all the lighthouses..." part in "Chemical Wedding"

I don't really like some of his vocals when it happens he is made to "read out" Harry's lyrics that look good on paper but less when you have got to put some voice behind them. To name a few songs: "The Duellists", the last verses of "Alexander the Great" , the chorus of "Mother of Mercy" , "The Prophecy" (as far as vocals are concerned, one of my least favorite IM songs) and "To Tame a Land". Don't get me wrong: I consider most of those as great songs, but the weakest link in them all has got to be the vocal melodies (or absence thereof ;) )... and of course "Quest For Fire" for obvious prostatic reasons...

Last edited:
Pretty much anything 82 up until midway through the World Slavery Tour when he blew his voice, that was pure magic and he never came close again after that, live. He's usually still OK, but he'll never be as incredibly powerful and METAL again as on Rock In Rio 85 or Beast over Hammersmith from 82, for example.

I mean, compare those two clips...

versus

and tell me which one is more metal???

On a side note, try listening to Speed of Light after those Mariner clips :(
either way - I don't care. Bruce voice has changed and now he can crush old performances any day he want. That's important.

On a side note, try listening to Speed of Light after those Mariner clips :(
Because the thread is, "Which is your favourite Bruce vocal performance", not "Which new track would you negatively compare to your favourite Bruce vocal performance." That's intentionally trying to derail the thread into your favourite topic of "bitching about newer Iron Maiden".

Back